Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers ink Antonio Brown to 5 year 42.5 million dollar extension

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I think the guys name was Taylor or whom ever that played across from either Jerry Rice or maybe someone playing across from Michale Irving that was signed by the Tampa Bay Bucs. He was great when he was just the supporting actor but when the Bucs made him the leading man........his career soured real fast. I hope this is not the case with Brown and I don't think it will be as long as he is mentally tough. With his work ethic that they continue to rave about he, should be fine. I see Brown more in the mold of dare I say, Jimmy Smith type or Hines Ward with quickness.
    You're talking about Alvin Harper who played across from Irvin and was a total bust in Tampa Bay. John Taylor never played for any other team but the 'Niners.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Brown got $42.5 million on the basis of one 1100 yard, 2 TD season in which Mike Wallace drew the oppositions best CB consistently and also had safety help over the top shading toward his side to prevent the big play, meaning that Brown routinely faced single coverage against a #2 corner. While Brown was successful last season in this setup, who's to say what will happen when Brown draws top corners and double teams? Yeah, I know people were saying the same thing about how Hines Ward would respond when Plaxico left, but Hines was a 7 year veteran coming off 4 straight 1000 yard seasons when Plax left, which is a far cry from a 6th round pick entering his 3rd NFL season.

Signing Wallace to an extension not only gives us a potentially dominant deep threat in his own right, but also helps assure that Brown can continue to live up to his new contract (Brown has never been "THE MAN" yet in his brief NFL career, and we don't know how he will respond to that level of attention from defenses). Everyone seems to realize that this is a passing league now, but in the same breath considers the guys on the receiving end of those passes to be easily replaceable carbon units who aren't worth any significant money.
    I agree with all you said. Wallace just needs to sign for what the Steelers have offered. Antonio B played by the Steelers rules and he got rewarded. Very easy lesson to learn there.

Its up to Wallace. If he continues to push for top dollar it is a moot point because he won't be staying here. Mike Wallace is creating this situation. You characterize this as something someone is doing to Wallace to keep him away. Nobody questions that Wallace has put up some good numbers. No need to revisit that over and over. Everyone wants Wallace back but he is the one who is the problem and only he can solve it. The cap isn't changing until 2014 so the dollars are a set finite resource. Wallace knows what they are so either he cooperates or he doesn't want to be here.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 07-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Brown got $42.5 million on the basis of one 1100 yard, 2 TD season in which Mike Wallace drew the oppositions best CB consistently and also had safety help over the top shading toward his side to prevent the big play, meaning that Brown routinely faced single coverage against a #2 corner. While Brown was successful last season in this setup, who's to say what will happen when Brown draws top corners and double teams? Yeah, I know people were saying the same thing about how Hines Ward would respond when Plaxico left, but Hines was a 7 year veteran coming off 4 straight 1000 yard seasons when Plax left, which is a far cry from a 6th round pick entering his 3rd NFL season.

Signing Wallace to an extension not only gives us a potentially dominant deep threat in his own right, but also helps assure that Brown can continue to live up to his new contract (Brown has never been "THE MAN" yet in his brief NFL career, and we don't know how he will respond to that level of attention from defenses). Everyone seems to realize that this is a passing league now, but in the same breath considers the guys on the receiving end of those passes to be easily replaceable carbon units who aren't worth any significant money.
    It isn't up to us whether or not the Steelers sign Mike Wallace. Hell, it isn't even up to the Steelers. It's up to Mike Wallace.

Just as we don't know how Antonio Brown will respond to being "the man", we also don't know how Mike Wallace will respond now that teams are paying extra attention to him...I don't think that he's an easily replaceable carbon unit, I just don't think the Steelers should pay $10 million (let alone more) per year if I don't know how Mike will handle himself this year...

Being a decoy and attracting attention away from Brown does not warrant $10+ million...

Toney Clemons ran a 4.36 at his Pro Day...if all you want is someone to run past DBs and draw double coverage but not catch the ball, he can do that for a fraction of the cost...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    You're talking about Alvin Harper who played across from Irvin and was a total bust in Tampa Bay. John Taylor never played for any other team but the 'Niners.

Thanks Flasteel. I knew it was someone from one of those teams.

Backup

User Info Menu

Alvin Harper was nearly a steeler. Good thing that didn't happen. I was all for it at the time. Here is an old article. Check out the #s. they were at an impasse over $500k. Times have changed.

[url]http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19940419&id=ioRIAAAAIBAJ&s jid=pW8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4489,2395286[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Being a decoy and attracting attention away from Brown does not warrant $10+ million...

Toney Clemons ran a 4.36 at his Pro Day...if all you want is someone to run past DBs and draw double coverage but not catch the ball, he can do that for a fraction of the cost...
    Toney Clemons seriously???

Mike Wallace 3 years in NFL record is better than Jerry Rice. I am not saying he is better than Jerry Rice (different era,different rules) but you don't put those numbers just being a decoy in NFL.

Mike Wallace is steelers Top-WR (TDs, YAC, YPC etc ). Steelers FO want to extend Mike Wallace long term.
    If Mike Wallace was so easily replaceable they would have traded him by now.
    Last edited by grotonsteel; 07-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Toney Clemons seriously???

Mike Wallace 3 years in NFL record is better than Jerry Rice. I am not saying he is better than Jerry Rice (different era,different rules) but you don't put those numbers just being a decoy in NFL.

Mike Wallace is steelers Top-WR (TDs, YAC, YPC etc ). Steelers FO want to extend Mike Wallace long term.
    If Mike Wallace was so easily replaceable they would have traded him by now.
    Overreact much?

Try reading the post before jumping off a cliff...

Or, perhaps I'll restate my position (again):

First: Numbers aren't everything. If they were, the Steelers would have won the SB with their #1 ranked defense...

Second: If Mike Wallace wants $10+ million per year and however much guaranteed money, he needs to freaking dominate...all the time...if people were hard on LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons last year, then there would be a contract on Mike Wallace's life if he was paid a huge contract and then played like he did in the last 8 games and the playoffs...

There is no doubt that Mike Wallace has all the speed you could ask for in a player...but, for the kind of contract he wants, I need more than speed...

Brown didn't get exactly the same offer as Wallace...Wallace was given a better offer still...one I feel was a fair contract at this stage of his career...he didn't feel that way...

Perhaps he will change his mind...that would be nice...

I'm just saying that, for me, $10+ million is overpaying for a pretty good player or a decoy...for that kind of bank, he needs to be HoF caliber for 60 minutes, 16 games and the playoffs...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Overreact much?

First: Numbers aren't everything. If they were, the Steelers would have won the SB with their #1 ranked defense...

Second: If Mike Wallace wants $10+ million per year and however much guaranteed money, he needs to freaking dominate...all the time...if people were hard on LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons last year, then there would be a contract on Mike Wallace's life if he was paid a huge contract and then played like he did in the last 8 games and the playoffs...

There is no doubt that Mike Wallace has all the speed you could ask for in a player...but, for the kind of contract he wants, I need more than speed...

Brown didn't get exactly the same offer as Wallace...Wallace was given a better offer still...one I feel was a fair contract at this stage of his career...he didn't feel that way...

I'm just saying that, for me, $10+ million is overpaying for a pretty good player or a decoy...for that kind of bank, he needs to be HoF caliber for 60 minutes, 16 games and the playoffs...

I agree and I've said it before too. For the coin he is asking for, he needs to be a nightmare for the defenses and the major reason our offense wins. Watch Larry Fitzgerald go after the balls, take the ball away from a defender and so on. Wallace is not that type of guy. He's fast and with not to bad to goo hands. Don't get me wrong, I want him on the team but not for the cash he must seem to want. It's all a waste of time talking about it, wondering about it or whatever because, as long as he remains out of camp and off the team....... there is no Steeler future for him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Overreact much?

Well, fortunately Mike Wallace is about a lot more than simply speed. Watch his highlight film and you'll see that very quickly. $10 Mil+ wouldn't be for a decoy, it would be for a Pro-Bowl receiver that makes the whole Offense better when he's on the field. It would be for a guy that opposing D's have to account for any time he's on the field for fear that he might get behind them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Overreact much?

Again why do you think MW just is a decoy?? MW is Steelers No. 1 WR. Decoy in NFL don't put MW numbers. He may not be HOF player or Larry/Andre/Megatron category but he is a pretty good player or shall i say steelers best WR.

If lamar Woodley and Timmons can earn a paycheck of 10 million/yr i don't see why MW should not? He has far better production that those two LB last season.

And what was Mike Wallace offered ?? 5 yrs/50 million??? Is that official number or Mark kaboly number??If so can someone post the details of the contract? What was the guaranteed money or signing amount? Was Mike Wallace deal better than AB84 because he was offered 5yrs/50 million or he was given 25 million guaranteed money??

Mike Wallace can play for 3yrs/23 million guaranteed money for Steelers. Why should he take less amount?
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT