Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kovacevic: Will Steelers Pass Up Another Chance?

Legend

User Info Menu

I love when people get all bent out of shape based on something a coach or GM says to the media. How about this explanation: "We ran for 31 yards on 15 carries last week. We must do better than that." Hence the word 'upgrade'.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I watch games each week and teams are throwing the ball all over the field and having success. Sure, QBs get sacked, but each game I watch, the QBs often have enough time to survey the field. Not the case with the Steelers. I don't know what Tomlin is thinking about, but his approach hasn't worked for 1+ years now. You have to adapt and we're not doing it. It's okay, despite the early success, to admit Tomlin isn't the right guy to lead this team forward. He's not innovative, he doesn't put enough pressure on the other team and he's a terrible in-game manager. It's been long enough that the Rooneys should be able to see he's not the guy. I think tonight is going to be another loss. I don't know if it's going to be a beating, but I know that front four is going to cause us all sorts of problems. Ben is going to be on his a** a lot and he'll be lucky to emerge from this one without an injury. He's an elite QB and we're WASTING his prime years. Get us a coach and an OC who can take advantage of his assets. Tomlin must go.

Legend

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter if Chuck Noll was coaching this team, with Lombardi and Landry as his coordinators. We don't have enough talented/skilled players to win consistently. Through a combination of bad luck injuries, bad drafting, or whatever, the odds are that all season long the team we line up across from will be more athletic than we are.

IMO, having Ben take 7 step drops all the time, so he doesn't have the high % of short passes this author seems so unhappy about, is a recipe for losing him forever.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    If it's not working, keep plugging away until it does, even if there is no hope in sight. That's a winners mentality.
    So the Steelers should keep running their heads into a brick wall?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think San Antonio is right. It's a talent issue. I'm hoping Jones and Bell break the trend but going back 5 or 6 years and the 1st and 2nd (at least, sometime 3rd and 4th) round selections have been mediocre to bad. You've got back-ups in starters roles. You can't have year after year of average drafting and expect to compete. And the old guys, while still flashing brilliance, are showing their age and the guys behind them are not at there level.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    It doesn't matter if Chuck Noll was coaching this team, with Lombardi and Landry as his coordinators. We don't have enough talented/skilled players to win consistently. Through a combination of bad luck injuries, bad drafting, or whatever, the odds are that all season long the team we line up across from will be more athletic than we are.

IMO, having Ben take 7 step drops all the time, so he doesn't have the high % of short passes this author seems so unhappy about, is a recipe for losing him forever.
    He got sacked 5 times against Tennessee anyways. The Steelers can't play scared and worry about what "could" or what "might" happen. They need to use their best player on offense to give them any chance.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Ah, second guessing...

When the Steelers do throw a lot, like they did last game, and Ben gets destroyed, the same people will be, like, "Why did they throw like that? Everybody knows our o-line sucks!!!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Ah, second guessing...

When the Steelers do throw a lot, like they did last game, and Ben gets destroyed, the same people will be, like, "Why did they throw like that? Everybody knows our o-line sucks!!!"
    He gets destroyed even when the Steelers try to establish their running game. If it's so inevitable that Ben will get hurt, then get the most out of him before he goes down. A healthy Ben won't be any good if the team finishes 6-10.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Ah, second guessing...

I would like to see balance on offense, but I hate the way that Haley goes about it. He doesn't always seem to use players to the best of their ability. Running Redman as a single back with 3 TEs? The 3rd and 1 plays where Dwyer lines up as a lone back 8 yards deep? Hate em.

The problem right now is that teams can really crowd the Steelers. Sanders doesn't scare anybody, nor should he. Cotchery is a great posession receiver but not a deep threat at all. Brown is a great number 2, but he doesn't seem to scare teams at all.

Putting Wheaton on the field at least adds another option, and he might back safeties off more than Cotchery ever will.

I don't want to see the Steelers become a pass happy team, per se, but I hate watching them trot out the same thing when it doesn't work, particularly in the running game.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I would like to see balance on offense, but I hate the way that Haley goes about it. He doesn't always seem to use players to the best of their ability. Running Redman as a single back with 3 TEs? The 3rd and 1 plays where Dwyer lines up as a lone back 8 yards deep? Hate em.

The problem right now is that teams can really crowd the Steelers. Sanders doesn't scare anybody, nor should he. Cotchery is a great posession receiver but not a deep threat at all. Brown is a great number 2, but he doesn't seem to scare teams at all.

Putting Wheaton on the field at least adds another option, and he might back safeties off more than Cotchery ever will.

I don't want to see the Steelers become a pass happy team, per se, but I hate watching them trot out the same thing when it doesn't work, particularly in the running game.
    Perhaps Haley is running this kind of offense because he has a mandate from ownership to get back to "Steeler football."

Personally, I could care less about what happened 40 years ago. This is a different era in football. If the Steelers don't adapt, they will be left behind and become irrelevant.