Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers should follow Bill Walsh's 1986 draft to restock the roster quickly...

Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers should follow Bill Walsh's 1986 draft to restock the roster quickly...

For those of us old enough to remember that draft first hand... Walsh traded down twice, six trades and came up with 13 picks that resulted in 8 starters... Go for it Colbert! You already said that the roster needs and upgrade and infusion of talent... Find some year one starters and some good young future starters. I think they have (and will retain) enough of a veteran core team to do this. Stock up and bring in competition to every single position of need... DL, Safety, OLB, ILB, RB, WR. Bring in a couple more OL...

Legend

User Info Menu

I made a similar suggestion back on New Year's Day (with some potential trade partner suggestions):

[URL]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/39659-RuthlessBurgher-s-initial-way-too-early-New-Year-s-Day-trade-down-mock-draft-scenario[/URL]

I'll have to resurrect that thread with some actual picks now that we know which underclassmen have declared and which are going back to school (possibly this weekend, if time permits).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The draft is a crapshoot and quantity does not not out-weigh quality. That said, I would not be opposed to a trade down in the first if the value just isn't there. Picking up an extra 3rd rounder gives you a chance at another pretty good selection.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes! All for it. The cupboard will be bare @ #17 for a pass rusher that grades out & fits. I think Ogletree & Minter will now be the top ILBs. Ogletree may be gone after the combine & too high for Minter. The S's grade out outside the Top 20 in my opinion. If Lewis is retained no to CB. No to DL. One the other side...No to OL & QB. RB & TE not graded there. Top WR may still be on board (which I believe will be Patterson). So trade back in 1st. Trade back in 2nd too. There are only 6 players in this draft that I wouldn't trade back if they were there regardless of what happens in the offseason.

Joekel
    Werner
    Milliner
    Moore
    Lotulelei
    Jones (If Medical checks out)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lure Miami into trading their two seconds, and a fourth, for #17.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Lure Miami into trading their two seconds, and a fourth, for #17.
    To bad the Steelers didn't have the cap room to franchise Wallace and put a bow on his head & trade him to Miami for Mike Pouncey.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    To bad the Steelers didn't have the cap room to franchise Wallace and put a bow on his head & trade him to Miami for Mike Pouncey.
    Should of done it last offseason...but that would take forward thinking vs. reactionary thinking.....they have been doing too much of the reactionary thinking the past few years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Should of done it last offseason...but that would take forward thinking vs. reactionary thinking.....they have been doing too much of the reactionary thinking the past few years.
    Like the Steelers, I wanted him here and thought he was a huge asset to the offense. After an unprofessional year, to say the least, I don't think the Steelers want him back. He showed immaturity and a "take my ball & go home" attitude. I still like the kid...But I think he played himself out of a contract. I don't think he even wants to be here anymore.

Legend

User Info Menu

To "restock the roster quickly" you have to be willing to "blow it up" to clear the roster slots. This is the off season to do it. Both New England and Baltimore did it a couple of seasons ago and cut core players to clear cap space and make the roster younger and they remained contenders and face each other in the AFC Championship game this weekend.

We want to hold on to players until they start to breakdown (see Aaron Smith, James Farrior, etc.) and then we keep them even longer until they can offer nothing. Until we are willing to be bold and make major changes we are going to remain in a downward trend. The longer that trend goes, the deeper the hole we will have to climb out of.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Like the Steelers, I wanted him here and thought he was a huge asset to the offense. After an unprofessional year, to say the least, I don't think the Steelers want him back. He showed immaturity and a "take my ball & go home" attitude. I still like the kid...But I think he played himself out of a contract. I don't think he even wants to be here anymore.
    I have said many times, Wallace never wanted to stay once Brown established himself as a fan favorite. Wallace did everything he could to alienate the front office. He held out when he was told the team would stop negotiations, but he did it anyway. He stayed out throughout camp with a new offense being installed. He admitted lack of focus at times.

He has played this exactly the way he wanted to make sure he was playing for someone else.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-18-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"