Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sapp at it Again

Backup

User Info Menu

The opposite of Warren Sapp is Todd Haley. Allow me to explain...

One of the many ways that football is like the military is that experience doesn't necessarily give you expertise. Furthermore, it's also possible for them both to become enough of a hobby among outsiders that they develop a good understanding of the concepts and the strategy involved. It certainly requires a longer learning curve if you haven't played or served, but it's not impossible to do.

There are some history and war buffs out there who may never have served in the military, but still have a pretty good grasp of military strategy nonetheless, and could come up with a good strategy given a certain set of variables. On the other hand, while all soldiers do an excellent job of following orders and being efficient and resourceful, not all of them have a mind for strategy, and those who don't probably wouldn't grasp the bigger picture too well. (That doesn't make them any less heroic or more expendable; it just means that they're best suited as a cog in the machine, so to speak.)

In football it's the same way. Todd Haley never played football, but you obviously can't claim that he doesn't know what he's doing as a coach, or doesn't understand the concepts and strategy of the game. Conversely, Warren Sapp had a good career in the NFL, but does he have what it takes to be a defensive coordinator? Probably not. He was best as a cog in Monte Kiffin's machine. The problem is, he believes that his experience has given him expertise, and he grossly overrates it, which is why he's so dismissive of those who disagree with him.

When listening to Warren Sapp, it's best to remember that his experience has not given him expertise, and take his opinions for what they're worth.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Too bad some Steelers beat writer doesn't have Lee Flowers' phone number. I wonder what sorta comment we could get out of someone like Lee now?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

EFF Sapp. When he talks I hear the teacher from Charlie Brown. Wah-wah-wah...

I was pleasantly surprised at how complimentary McGinnest (sp??) was towards us and Ben in particular. He being a former Pat and Brown.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    EFF Sapp. When he talks I hear the teacher from Charlie Brown. Wah-wah-wah...

I was pleasantly surprised at how complimentary McGinnest (sp??) was towards us and Ben in particular. He being a former Pat and Brown.
    But really...how does the armpit truly feel?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    The opposite of Warren Sapp is Todd Haley. Allow me to explain...

One of the many ways that football is like the military is that experience doesn't necessarily give you expertise. Furthermore, it's also possible for them both to become enough of a hobby among outsiders that they develop a good understanding of the concepts and the strategy involved. It certainly requires a longer learning curve if you haven't played or served, but it's not impossible to do.

There are some history and war buffs out there who may never have served in the military, but still have a pretty good grasp of military strategy nonetheless, and could come up with a good strategy given a certain set of variables. On the other hand, while all soldiers do an excellent job of following orders and being efficient and resourceful, not all of them have a mind for strategy, and those who don't probably wouldn't grasp the bigger picture too well. (That doesn't make them any less heroic or more expendable; it just means that they're best suited as a cog in the machine, so to speak.)

In football it's the same way. Todd Haley never played football, but you obviously can't claim that he doesn't know what he's doing as a coach, or doesn't understand the concepts and strategy of the game. Conversely, Warren Sapp had a good career in the NFL, but does he have what it takes to be a defensive coordinator? Probably not. He was best as a cog in Monte Kiffin's machine. The problem is, he believes that his experience has given him expertise, and he grossly overrates it, which is why he's so dismissive of those who disagree with him.

When listening to Warren Sapp, it's best to remember that his experience has not given him expertise, and take his opinions for what they're worth.

Good post.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Most rivals have a guys amount of respect for their opponent so I'm not surprised a former Pat and Brown gave it to us. This is also the reason the Rats and Steelers have a ton of respect for easy other.... Sapp reminds me of Curt Schilling and other blow hards who love to hear their own voice...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah. If he is going to bash us like that at least get his facts straight .. second round guard and NT that weights 280. Snort. He is such a tool.

I haven't had NFLN for the last year due to my cable package - but I just got it again. To be honest. Not sure I really missed their "analysis". I miss the game replays and the like .. but total access .. not so much
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Starter

User Info Menu

Watched this video and have been watching a number of videos about the Steelers there recently.

Not sure, but it think Willie McGinest is pretty new there. Beginning to think his comments are at least worth listening to.

In this video and in most of the videos I watched they had a lady host asking the questions. Does anyone know who this person is? I did some searching but could not find out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Too bad some Steelers beat writer doesn't have Lee Flowers' phone number. I wonder what sorta comment we could get out of someone like Lee now?
    Your comment is kind of ringing a bell for me but, it isn't coming back to me. What went on again with these two ?

Oh yeah, Sapps fancies himself and his defense of something of the ages but it was not. I know they had a good defense for a decade or something like that but so have many teams. The fact of the matter is, the Steelers have placed the benchmark for what a great defense should be and with that, no team or player will ever live up to it. This kills Sapps ego and creates the jealousy.
    Win four Super Bowls in six season, drown the opponents with smash mouth players like Greene, Lambert, Russell, Blount and the list goes on and then tell me how good you are fat boy. The main reason they won a Super Bowl wasn't because of their great defense, it was because their head coach was the Raiders coach the year before. Knowing their plays, their calls.........hmmm kind of reminds me of Bellicheat. Not that I'm saying Gruden is a cheat like Bellichet, but knowing all you know about your own team and playing them was key to the win.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Your comment is kind of ringing a bell for me but, it isn't coming back to me. What went on again with these two ?

Oh yeah, Sapps fancies himself and his defense of something of the ages but it was not. I know they had a good defense for a decade or something like that but so have many teams. The fact of the matter is, the Steelers have placed the benchmark for what a great defense should be and with that, no team or player will ever live up to it. This kills Sapps ego and creates the jealousy.
    Win four Super Bowls in six season, drown the opponents with smash mouth players like Greene, Lambert, Russell, Blount and the list goes on and then tell me how good you are fat boy. The main reason they won a Super Bowl wasn't because of their great defense, it was because their head coach was the Raiders coach the year before. Knowing their plays, their calls.........hmmm kind of reminds me of Bellicheat. Not that I'm saying Gruden is a cheat like Bellichet, but knowing all you know about your own team and playing them was key to the win.
    It all stems from two separate games in 2001 and 2002. The first link below will explain the Lee Flowers "paper champions" comments he made following the '01 game (and leading up to the ensuing rematch).

[url]http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers/20021219steelers2.asp[/url]

This link will further illustrate Sapp's douchebaggery and how he was punked in his own crib. The article doesn't really mention how badly the Bucs were whipped in this game after Sapp's fiasco however.

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/6/3067458/pittsburgh-steelers-ike-taylor-larry-foote-nfl-network-warren-sapp-bankrupt[/url]