Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers rookie WR Markus Wheaton proving to be a ‘quick’ study

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    My money's on Markus Wheaton.

Seriously, how can you bet againgst Chuck E Cheese?
    you can't, really...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    agree with philly as usual.

anybody expecting wallace like production from wheaton is clearly out of their mind or biased against a certain ex-steeler that some can't seem to let go. I know which I believe it to be.

I'm excited about wheaton, but I seriously doubt he ever becomes the threat wallace was on the football field.
    I don't understand you or Philly on this one. Mike Wallace was a unknown for the most part to all of us when he got drafted. His routes weren't precise, his hands weren't terrific BUT he was outlandishly fast. Insert Markus Wheaton who much like Mike Wallace is getting rave reviews in camp, BUT he runs terrific routes, has very good hands and apparently mauls press coverage. Oh AND he runs a 4.3 forty. Assuming Ben stays healthy and Wheaton gets similar opportunities to perform i see very little reason for Wheaton to not have a very productive rookie season. Wheaton by all accounts is MUCH more polished than Wallace ever was as a rookie, he just may not be AS FAST but he's pretty damn fast as are most people that run 4.3 forties.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I don't understand you or Philly on this one. Mike Wallace was a unknown for the most part to all of us when he got drafted. His routes weren't precise, his hands weren't terrific BUT he was outlandishly fast. Insert Markus Wheaton who much like Mike Wallace is getting rave reviews in camp, BUT he runs terrific routes, has very good hands and apparently mauls press coverage. Oh AND he runs a 4.3 forty. Assuming Ben stays healthy and Wheaton gets similar opportunities to perform i see very little reason for Wheaton to not have a very productive rookie season. Wheaton by all accounts is MUCH more polished than Wallace ever was as a rookie, he just may not be AS FAST but he's pretty damn fast as are most people that run 4.3 forties.
    Because some can't get past their idol worship of Wallace and can't accept he didn't want to be part of the team some fans claim to support. Wallace was and still is a flawed player. It would be great if he stayed but I'll always say he wasn't the most talented WR we had. He was definitely the most overhyped because of the speed thing.

As far as production I think Wheaton will be extremely effective (doesn't mean he needs to equal Wallace last year) and we won't miss Wallace who IMO will have a mediocre season in Miami not worth the contract he got.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 08-08-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Marcus Wheaton will be the Steelers Rookie of the Year. I think he will have a great season unless injured along the way.
    I highly doubt that but I believe he will be an impact player. Wheaton won't get enough looks to beat out Bell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    agree with philly as usual.

anybody expecting wallace like production from wheaton is clearly out of their mind or biased against a certain ex-steeler that some can't seem to let go. I know which I believe it to be.

I'm excited about wheaton, but I seriously doubt he ever becomes the threat wallace was on the football field.
    Just depends. I believe Wheaton to be the more complete WR at this stage. I believe him to be almost as fast. If there is an injury, he has a shot at putting up very good numbers this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Because some can't get past their idol worship of Wallace and can't accept he didn't want to be part of the team some fans claim to support. Wallace was and still is a flawed player. It would be great if he stayed but I'll always say he wasn't the most talented WR we had. He was definitely the most overhyped because of the speed thing.

As far as production I think Wheaton will be extremely effective (doesn't mean he needs to equal Wallace last year) and we won't miss Wallace who IMO will have a mediocre season in Miami not worth the contract he got.
    Get over yourself.

I've never idolized Wallace. I have looked at his numbers and watched him play. His game speed is incredibly fast. I haven't seen many faster, if any. I certainly didn't want the Steelers to give him the same deal he got with Miami. However, I think letting a player with his production and ability leave for a third round pick a year later is the poor use of an asset.

I think Wallace is kind of a jerk and I hope he does not succeed. But I don't have the same level of vitriol for him as you.

If you want to naively think that Wheaton will produce what Wallace did as a rookie, go ahead. Look at the numbers of rookie WRs throughout the league on an annual basis. Look at the production of Steelers rookie WRs. And after you look at some data, tell me how probabale that really is. I know, I know, you don't like data, and just prefer to spout out without support.

I like Wheaton and I'm excited for his potential. That said, I just don't see where he would replace what Wallace did.

Wallace averaged 17.2 YPC in his NFL career and 13.1 YPC last year in what was easily his worst pro season. Wheaton, by comparison, averaged 13.7 YPC last year - the best of his career - in college. I think he has the potential to be a very good intermediate type receiver - like Brown is, like Sanders could become, like Holmes was in his prime. I have no reason to believe that he'll become a guy, like Wallace, that you had to gameplan around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Just depends. I believe Wheaton to be the more complete WR at this stage. I believe him to be almost as fast. If there is an injury, he has a shot at putting up very good numbers this season.
    Also depends on how you are looking to match Wallace. Are we looking for Wheaton to replace the Wallace numbers of his best season? 1,257 yards and 10 TDs. Are we looking for the rook to match Wallace's rookie numbers? 756 yards and 6 TDs. Big difference, and I can see Wheaton coming close to Wallace's rookie numbers if things work out for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace had ludicrous speed and could sometimes get to plaid. Wheaton has light speed and can maybe make it to ridiculous speed. The Steelers should be ok.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace had the luxury of Hines and Holmes on our team... and an OC who was all about the vertical game. I doubt Wheaton will match Wallace in yardage or ypc but he may surpass him with in the chain moving department. I'm not concerned with matching individual stats... I think Wheaton will have a bigger impact in our playoff run.

..and I'm not sure why some are so down on a WR getting praise this year... it's normal for fans to want the guy who is on our team to have a better year than the guy who left for more money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Wallace had the luxury of Hines and Holmes on our team... and an OC who was all about the vertical game. I doubt Wheaton will match Wallace in yardage or ypc but he may surpass him with in the chain moving department. I'm not concerned with matching individual stats... I think Wheaton will have a bigger impact in our playoff run.

..and I'm not sure why some are so down on a WR getting praise this year... it's normal for fans to want the guy who is on our team to have a better year than the guy who left for more money.
    I think some may be invested in being right...as in the seams will come apart when Wallace leaves.