Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    SKL, I always appreciate your insight, but I think that roster stinks. There is no beef on that defenisve line. If you move Heyward to DT, you need a big run stuffer next to him, not McClendon. And Vince Williams as the ILB? Ugh. He has shown a few flashes from time to time, but he's mostly shown that he is not an NFL caliber talent right now. I also don't see Jones as a DE. He barely has the bulk to be a 3-4 OLB. That defense might actually be worse against the run than this group.

On the offensive side, the Steelers need a big WR. If not a tall WR, at least a powerful guy who can catch a ball when he is covered. When was the last time Sanders caught a contested pass?

I do agree with you that Tomlin will be safe this offseason (not necessarily that he should be, but that he will be), but after his collapse last year and the putrid performance this year, I'd put him on the hotseat. I'd also remove him from personnel decisions. The Cowher/Colbert tandem was great. The Tomlin/Colbert tandem has been below the line.

Is there some weak spots? Sure. Without knowing what kind of cuts and FA's will be available and considering the Cap Jail we will be in, this roster reflects a combo of current players and next years draft picks. Heyward played inside and out on Ohio St. Hopefully Spence will be ready to play next season. While I would love a Size/Speed WR I think that is a luxury right now. Ben threw for 400 yards the other day. I actually think another premier TE would be the best bet for rapid improvement on O. I think with a 1st round OT and possibly keeping Velasco at C and moving Pouncey to LG the OL has massive potential for immediate success.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wll be disappointed with that roster.

WR: Manny has to be let go. I still can't believe Steelers did not take 3rd draft pick for him. Steelers need to draft a legit tall WR in early rounds. Enough of these smurf WRs who can't get open. AB84-Tall WR-Cotchery-Wheaton will be my WR corps.

I would try to trade Troy Polamalu for draft picks. I think Troy freelancing is hurting this team more.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    On the Jones front I just think the one thing he does well is rush the passer
    Curious why you'd say this? I just haven't seen it. About the only thing I've noticed positively about JJ is he is relentless. He will chase down a play after he gets blocked out of it and never gives up before the whistle. Kid's got some energy, but that's about it. He doesn't look like he's that hard to block.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    well.... this is true to a degree but it's not like the Pats are oozing with talent this year.

IMO it looked like our secondary wasn't prepared... we had tons of blown coverages and that has more to do with scheme or lack there of.
    I guess we should add Carnell Lake to the "hot seat" list or just fire him. Perhaps we can get a "hot bench" so we can see everyone on it and make some fans feel good.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-05-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Curious why you'd say this? I just haven't seen it. About the only thing I've noticed positively about JJ is he is relentless. He will chase down a play after he gets blocked out of it and never gives up before the whistle. Kid's got some energy, but that's about it. He doesn't look like he's that hard to block.
    Totally agree Flippy. I mentioned this during the draft time. In the video before the draft, he never seemed to overpower blockers or have a great pass rush move. He just seems to be high motor and plays to the whistle. Hopefully we can make him more than he is now. That is why I would see him as an OLB in the 4-3 not a DE.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Last year, this was a team that obviously had some talent, as evidenced by their good early start. With the same bunch, Tomlin oversaw the collapse. This year, not only is their record bad, but the Steelers just haven't looked prepared or focused. If the Steelers endure another dreadful season in 2014, that woudl be more than enough of Tomlin for me.

The other big question with Tomlin is how much responsibility does he bear for the lack of talent on the roster? He certainly has some role in player evaluation. You can raise the excuse of the cap problems, older players, etc. But that doesn't explain the failure of recent draft classes.
    Drafts haven't been spectacular but I think the recent losses are a combination of things... injuries, OL, bad bounces, defense and Ben playing poorly in a few games. Ben used to play poorly and turn it on in the 4th but lately there have been some WTF moments with routine throws.

Also wonder if Ben isn't sold on Haley...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I guess we should add Carnell Lake to the "hot seat" list or just fire him. Perhaps we can get a "hot bench" so we can see everyone on it and make some fans feel good.
    lol.. nah, but I would definitely throw out whatever scheme that was last game because it sucked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Drafts haven't been spectacular but I think the recent losses are a combination of things... injuries, OL, bad bounces, defense and Ben playing poorly in a few games. Ben used to play poorly and turn it on in the 4th but lately there have been some WTF moments with routine throws.

Also wonder if Ben isn't sold on Haley...
    A lot of those issues, and specifically, the oline, are a result of drafting. The Steelers came into the second with 2 #1s, 2 #2s and a UDFA on the line. That should have been more than enough if those guys played up to their billing. As for injuries, every team in the league has injuries.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The kid is being asked to grasp an incredibly complex D (which is where his "problems with assignments" arise). All he had to do in college is go get the QB. Rarely does an OLB come in and contribute in all phases and packages in this league. He is being asked to play a majority of the snaps because of his talent and ability to cause chaos. However he is experiencing paralyzation by analyzation . Turn him lose and let him do what he does best. Let him learn the nuances over time.

Starter

User Info Menu

Totally agree with you re: JJ.

Ovi, I know you rail against this all the time, but there's a reason that rookies don't generally come in and thrive in this D. Too much thinking. Now that the playoffs are essentially out of the picture, it's time to play JJ, Shamarko, Cortez, and the rest of the young players extended minutes. Don't try to placate the vets on this team at the expense of the future starters. The writing should be on the wall for some of the older players who won't be here next year. Get this transition underway already.