Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Convinced The Steelers Err'ed in the Draft

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I swear I read somewhere Speath graded out close to the top in blocking among TE last year.

[URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/superman-heath-miller-run-blocking-phone-booth/[/URL]
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yeah... not sure why we refuse to keep a great rookie on the field. Jarvis has impressed in limited action... he should have been starting on day one.
    Maybe it's because he missed a bunch of reps during camp from a chest injury. I don't know.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The Steelers have err'd in the last 6 drafts.
    This is the key point. If you go look at the 1st and 2nd rounds (occasionally 3rd) of the draft going back many years; it's unbelievable the lack of true play makers taken. It's as if the front office wanted to see how mediocre they could become. And average would be a step up. The Steelers have too many back-ups in starting roles because that's all they have.

They need to find a way to get out of cap jail and realize that using free agency here and there is an acceptable way to build a team. Their drafting isn't cutting it (although, if Bell is a player, this year may have the first 2 rounds be really good).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This is the key point. If you go look at the 1st and 2nd rounds (occasionally 3rd) of the draft going back many years; it's unbelievable the lack of true play makers taken. It's as if the front office wanted to see how mediocre they could become. And average would be a step up. The Steelers have too many back-ups in starting roles because that's all they have.

They need to find a way to get out of cap jail and realize that using free agency here and there is an acceptable way to build a team. Their drafting isn't cutting it (although, if Bell is a player, this year may have the first 2 rounds be really good).
    If you live by the draft, then you can't miss in the draft, 2008 and 2009 might as well have not even happened, we have two players out of 16 on the roster Hood and Johnson. In 2010 we got two players Pouncey and Brown, then Worilds, Dwyer and Sanders who are certainly backups on most teams. In 2011 you have Heyward, Gilbert and Brown (Curtis) probably backups on most teams and Allen in the 4th, the jury is out but he looks like a player.

Can't replenish your team with drafts like that, if you use the draft to the extent that the Steelers do.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If you live by the draft, then you can't miss in the draft, 2008 and 2009 might as well have not even happened, we have two players out of 16 on the roster Hood and Johnson. In 2010 we got two players Pouncey and Brown, then Worilds, Dwyer and Sanders who are certainly backups on most teams. In 2011 you have Heyward, Gilbert and Brown (Curtis) probably backups on most teams and Allen in the 4th, the jury is out but he looks like a player.

Can't replenish your team with drafts like that, if you use the draft to the extent that the Steelers do.

Pappy
    Right on the mark. The 2008 and 2009 drafts killed us. It forced us to react. Imagine if Sweed, Bruce Davis and Tony Hills had worked out from the 2008 draft. Imagine if we didn't blow it and give up too early on Urbik from the 2009 draft. That would had been two additional players on the OL for starters or depth and could have freed up 2010, 11 and 12 picks to add depth to other areas like Safety who could have replaced Clark by now or a top notch TE to work with Heath.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    Yes, Pappy THIS is a great description of the problem.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    give up too early on Urbik from the 2009 draft.
    And we arent talking a costly free agent that was a straight cut. Had not thought much about that one. It is bad enough to "miss" on picks, but to make a solid pick and let him go AND end up weak at that position......that is really bad.

I remember thinking he MUST be a bust since we kept a free agent from the same draft (Foster) over him. How often does a draft pick not get much of a chance while a free agent in the same class gets starts games AS A ROOKIE? Usually the free agent has to overcome low expectations to even get noticed compared to a third rounder. I guess Foster was more game ready and I know they thought him more versatile, able to back up guard and tackle positions (though he wound up being a pure guard as a pro).

Funny just thought of something. Doesnt Fosters skill set seem more suited to tackle? Dude is not a bulldozer whatsoever but is a really solid pass blocker who was a college tackle. He is long, has long arms and just looks like a tackle to me.

Personally, I like tackles that are invisible (they are seen when they make mistakes) but guards who make me say WHOA because they just destroyed somebody.

Foster is "invisible" like a good tackle, but rarely EVER makes a GREAT play that gets noticed.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-23-2013 at 11:34 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Time for some new blood to replace Colbert and I don't want Omar to be that guy.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    And we arent talking a costly free agent that was a straight cut. Had not thought much about that one. It is bad enough to "miss" on picks, but to make a solid pick and let him go AND end up weak at that position......that is really bad.

I remember thinking he MUST be a bust since we kept a free agent from the same draft (Foster) over him. How often does a draft pick not get much of a chance while a free agent in the same class gets starts games AS A ROOKIE? Usually the free agent has to overcome low expectations to even get noticed compared to a third rounder. I guess Foster was more game ready and I know they thought him more versatile, able to back up guard and tackle positions (though he wound up being a pure guard as a pro).

Funny just thought of something. Doesnt Fosters skill set seem more suited to tackle? Dude is not a bulldozer whatsoever but is a really solid pass blocker who was a college tackle. He is long, has long arms and just looks like a tackle to me.

Personally, I like tackles that are invisible (they are seen when they make mistakes) but guards who make me say WHOA because they just destroyed somebody.

Foster is "invisible" like a good tackle, but rarely EVER makes a GREAT play that gets noticed.
    I thought Foster looked great at RT when he had a chance the one preseason. He's basically the size of a tackle and definitely looks the part. He has always seemed too big to me to be an effective guard moving and trying to get leverage on DTs. I wouldn't be against starting next game with him at RT and Beachum at LT. Although Beachum seems to have the perfect build for a G. I don't get the Steelers' OLine sometimes. I always get the sense that everyone is out of position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I thought Foster looked great at RT when he had a chance the one preseason. He's basically the size of a tackle and definitely looks the part. He has always seemed too big to me to be an effective guard moving and trying to get leverage on DTs. I wouldn't be against starting next game with him at RT and Beachum at LT. Although Beachum seems to have the perfect build for a G. I don't get the Steelers' OLine sometimes. I always get the sense that everyone is out of position.
    Add how LONG was Colon at tackle? WHAT?
    Dude was BORN to be a guard FROM DAY ONE. This is THE ONE thing "idiot fans" screamed FOR YEARS that took the team FOREVER to get fixed. And we did it for ONE season.
    Imagine we could have switched Colon and Foster YEARS ago and been better off cause Colon would not have had to have all those stupid penalties having to hold speed rushers and would be the mauler inside he was born to be.

Colon has mad talent as a guard. Once he got comfortable we had that one stretch where we tore it up in the run game, then got hurt. He was MUCH BETTER than Foster will ever be at that position and Foster would have been a better tackle than colon ever was.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-23-2013 at 12:12 PM.

TCFCLTC-