Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: It look like we are stuck with the boring playcalling of Haley....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm not seeing Sushi as a problem. He did a good job this year. Do you have some reason to think he'll regress? I'm curious because of all the Steelers "issues", kicker seems to be one of the least problematic to me.
    Suisham wasn't bad but there is 1 reason and 1 reason only why I am willing to guarantee that the Steelers won't win a SB with him as our kicker.

You need to have a kicker that can kick a 50+ yard field goal in the clutch and in the "elements". To get to the SB and win it, you need a kicker that can do that and I don't think Suisham can. The road to the SB for the Steelers will be in the "elements" (Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, New England, Baltimore..). There will be bad weather along the way. There will be close games decided by 3 points or less. You need a guy that can get those 3 points in the clutch from 50+ out.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't think we are that far off either but we are seriously lacking in a few areas.

I would add kicker to the list. Mark my words, we will NEVER win a Super Bowl with Suisham as a kicker. So, every year that we go into the season with him as our kicker, I am willing to guarantee that we won't win a SB.
    lol...what? Sounds like a built in excuse for a player who proved you wrong this year.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    lol...what? Sounds like a built in excuse for a player who proved you wrong this year.
    Did I miss something? Last time I checked, we didn't make the playoffs this year.

Suisham proved me wrong alright... He was clutch in the most important game of the year... going 1-3 against the Bengals in a must win game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kickers are schizy...Look no further than David Akers as a prime example. In 2011, he scored an NFL all-time single season record 166 points. He followed up that Pro Bowl performance by missing THIRTEEN field goals this year (an abysmal 69% FG percentage).

Suisham made 93.3% of his kicks for us in 2010, then fell to 74.2% in 2011, then back up to 90.3% this season. Who knows what to expect from him in 2013.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Did I miss something? Last time I checked, we didn't make the playoffs this year.

Suisham proved me wrong alright... He was clutch in the most important game of the year... going 1-3 against the Bengals in a must win game.
    Suisham isn't alone in that Bengal game...the short miss was a bad snap and a bad hold...he caught the ball on the laces (LACES OUT!!!)...

Hopefully, he doesn't disguise himself as a woman and attempt to kidnap and murder Butler...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Kickers are schizy...Look no further than David Akers as a prime example. In 2011, he scored an NFL all-time single season record 166 points. He followed up that Pro Bowl performance by missing THIRTEEN field goals this year (an abysmal 69% FG percentage).

Suisham made 93.3% of his kicks for us in 2010, then fell to 74.2% in 2011, then back up to 90.3% this season. Who knows what to expect from him in 2013.
    Yea, the Akers situation is weird and you're right... kickers are headcases.

I don't want to get to far off topic but my point isn't Suisham's accuracy per se. It's how the combination of "field elements" + field goal length + leg strength will effect his accuracy.

His lack of leg strength requires him to overcompensate for longer field goals or field goals in weather conditions such as higher winds. When he has to compensate, his accuracy is a major issue. If he doesn't compensate, he'll come up short. If the field goal is shorter and/or doesn't have the "elements", the guy is money.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tiproast View Post
    It was a long time ago, and I added the smiley face to my post to try to take a little bit off of the rubbing it in aspect.

And as I as recall, your team made the playoffs that year, and my team didn't.
    We went 10-5-1, beat Cleveland in the play offs (to a Arians-run offense, coming way back from behind because Cleveland refused to rush the ball, allowing us to come back) and then lost to TN in a tight one. I think we got called for roughing the kicker or something like that, as I recall. The first two games of that season, both opponents (you guys and a Gruden-coached Raiders with Rich Gannon at QB) just passed the crap out of the ball, and made our once-feared D look inept, as the way to beat that D is to not waste downs on trying to rush the ball. Both of those teams made the D look like Swiss cheese. It's amazing that they made the play offs, with that trait being so exposed in the 1st two weeks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't fully blame the Squeezer. Tomlin made the idiotic decision to try a 54-yarder, while every one knew that was an unlikely successful FG attempt. How many moronic decisions did Tomlin make this season?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    If your asking about him staying, Dulac said, Haley met with the Cardinals and demanded so much that its unlikely he will join their staff. From what I'm hearing, Ray Horton is their second choice if they faill to get who they want.
    Haley wants to stay here and I don't blame him. Going to the Cards is what I said in another thread.....waiting on death row for execution.
    That team is competing with A great 49er team, Seattle and even the Rams will get better. The cards have a piss poor Ol and no QB. they have a decent defense but thats about it. They will be firing coaches for years until they get help on that O-line and a QB.

All true, but teams have proven this season that you fix your QB position in a short order. You _CAN_ but that doesn't mean you will. Look at Russell Wilson, et al. It can be done. And I find it a little surprising that Haley doesn't have the confidence to feel he can fix the QB and OL situations in a relatively short time. Head coaching jobs are not plentiful. Only 32 of them in the world. And HC make 5x what OC make. Plus, where would you rather live? In dreary, gray, dirty, rusty Western PA or AZ?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't fully blame the Squeezer. Tomlin made the idiotic decision to try a 54-yarder, while every one knew that was an unlikely successful FG attempt. How many moronic decisions did Tomlin make this season?
    Tomlin's made numerous bad decisions this past year. I told my buddy before the kick that he was going to come up short. I said if he doesn't overcompensate, the kick will be accurate but it'll be short. I said if he overcompensates, he might "get it there" but it'll be a bad hook or pushed right.

Sure enough, he didn't overcompensate and it was over 5 yards short. And just like I said previously.... < 45 yards, Suisham is pretty darn accurate.... but he simply doesn't have the leg to kick those type of field goals.