Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The case FOR Harrison

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree that JH was playing a well at the end of the season, but that still doesn't make him worth 8-10 million per season. I'm sure the team would love to keep him but he realistically cannot be afforded unless he is willing to give a hometown discount. Woodley is not playing up to his worth either but it would actually cost the team money against the cap to cut him. He needs to step up his game big time and so does Jason Worilds because he is going to see a lot more playing time come 2013.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel View Post
    I agree that JH was playing a well at the end of the season, but that still doesn't make him worth 8-10 million per season. I'm sure the team would love to keep him but he realistically cannot be afforded unless he is willing to give a hometown discount. Woodley is not playing up to his worth either but it would actually cost the team money against the cap to cut him. He needs to step up his game big time and so does Jason Worilds because he is going to see a lot more playing time come 2013.
    To be honest- you might have just mentioned the biggest issue, and also potentially the biggest reason the Steelers can overcome a salary cap purge.

Guys like Woodley, guys like Hood, Heyward, Antonio Brown... these are guys that are long-term signed Steelers. It's from THESE guys that the Steelers can overcome adversity- not from the James Harrison's, Troy Polamalu's or Ryan Clark's. We know what the old guys can offer, can produce. If anything, age will mean they offer less. It's the yonger guys- if they can step up their game, the Steelers can overcome.

But if they produce like they did last season- this team won't cope with a salary cap purge.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    You'll be hard pressed to find anyone with an objective opinion agree with you. PFF and other services would tell you he did help the run defense. However, according to PFF he delivered very little pressure in the passing game. He suffered even worse when asked to play coverage (a requirement for an OLB in the zone blitz scheme).

This is reasonable, but I highly doubt it happens. He's 35 and they need to see if Worilds can take the next step. I would love to see him brought to camp. Would would perhaps see if Worilds can beat him out in a camp competition.

But this is highly unlikely as well.
    Harrison is still one of the best run-defending OLBs in the league. 70 tackles isn't shabby, even if you don't consider the effects of the injury the first half of the season. As far as pressure in the passing game, don't you think it became easier for teams to take away his effectiveness because there wasn't anyone else they had to worry much about? I do believe his coverage skills have eroded somewhat, but his teammate on the other side is not exactly a fleet-footed wonder--nor is Worilds, for that matter. Perhaps it will be different next season, but I don't think you would find anyone with an "objective opinion" who would think that Worilds was good enough to beat out Harrison last season. If you went merely by last season's level of play, it is Woodley, not Harrison, who ought to be concerned about getting beat out by Worilds.

Again, though, his current contract is what I think will end up ending James' tenure with the Steelers. I think I read that 10 Steelers take up $100 million in salaries, which amounts to most of the cap. They simply will have to cut some of their big-money players. They will likely end up keeping expensive players like Colon and Woodley and letting players like Harrison go simply because of the cap implications going forward (they can save almost all of Harrison's cost against the cap by cutting him, whereas they would take a substantial hit if they cut some of the others).

Legend

User Info Menu

Cap I'm with you 100% and have been extolling James Harrison's importance to the defense in another thread. The reality is the Steelers have to clear space and he's simply too old and too expensive to keep around without a severe discount from James. He's right up there with Lambert on my all time favorite list, because of his attitude, work ethic and disdain for Goodell, not to mention his production over the past 5-6 years.

Unfortunately, the numbers don't add up in his favor and it is sad that a 34 year OLB is the best OLB on the team and had Timmons not stepped up this year he would have been the best LB on the team and he's still in the top 10 league wide in my opinion. He'll play somewhere next year, not with the Steelers unfortunately.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 02-14-2013 at 11:06 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Harrison is the man. If we can keep him and do better than 8-8 I am for keeping him.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No one who's lived with the GREAT James Harrison would object to giving him an extra year to come back. The problem with that is that a player like Harrison requires a multi-year commitment, something anyone with any sense would've be willing to give to a 35-year old guy coming off back and knee (two of the worst injuries) injuries... not to mention a team with cap difficulties.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    It's hard to argue that the Steelers will be 'better' if Harrison is removed from the roster.

It's only the Cap figure that makes him a release target- not the level of his play.
    Not 100% true
    His level of play plus his chance of reinjury makes him a release target.
    4 years ago & I don't think any of us would be having this conversation

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gerry: Harrison really doesn't have much leverage Thursday, 14 February 2013 15:42 Written by Gerry Dulac James Harrison has said he won’t take a pay cut to play for the Steelers in 2013, as though he has some leverage in the matter.

But he really doesn’t.

Harrison has two years remaining on a contract he signed in 2009 and is scheduled to make $6.57 million next season and $7.575 million in 2014. He said he has renegotiated his contract twice in the past to help the Steelers get under the salary cap in recent years.

Let’s say the Steelers tell Harrison he has to take a pay cut of $3.5 million – the amount nose tackle Casey Hampton had to take last season?

Does Harrison refuse?

If he does, he has to consider this: Is there another NFL team out there willing to pay him $3 million next season?
    Will someone pay him -- at age 35, with his body breaking down – as much as the Steelers were offering? After a season in which he had only six sacks?

Maybe there is. But, maybe, there isn’t.

Then Harrison has no other option. He can either accept the Steelers offer and play one more season at a reduced rate. Or he can be released and hope some team is willing to pay him the amount he refused in the first place from the Steelers.

It’s a gamble Casey Hampton didn’t take. And one I’m not so sure Harrison will take, either.

Are we assuming too much? I don't know if it's a done deal that he's gone until we get the official word. The article has a point in that who would pay him more than lets say 3 mill a year. There could be a team out there but at his age and injury history recently they may be reluctant to pay him. There is still a chance James could be playing for us in 2013 but it depends on him.

Legend

User Info Menu

A team with cap space and a need for a top 5 ROLB in a 34 defense and is willing to take a one year risk that's the team that will sign him. He'd be worth 3 million for a year plus a bonus. He played 13 games and stays in shape, he went into the off season healthy. I believe he'll get through a 16 game season without major injury and some team will be getting some real attitude to their defense.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    A team with cap space and a need for a top 5 ROLB in a 34 defense and is willing to take a one year risk that's the team that will sign him. He'd be worth 3 million for a year plus a bonus. He played 13 games and stays in shape, he went into the off season healthy. I believe he'll get through a 16 game season without major injury and some team will be getting some real attitude to their defense.

Pappy
    I'm not so certain...in a perfect world for James, that would be the case...

I'm not confident at all that the world will be perfect...