Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Somebody is going to get a star quarterback.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Somebody is going to get a star quarterback.

..and a lot of teams are going to kick themselves for passing on him. I've heard all the negative talk about Matt Barkley, how his stock has dropped, how he like other recent USC quarterbacks aren't worth the investment And how because he is a USC quarterback he has to be like Mark Sanchez or Matt Leinert. And how his hype is more than his talent. I personally do not believe this. I've seen every single game Matt Barkley has played. I'll start by saying, no he isn't a top 5 pick nor in the class of talents like Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning coming out of Tennessee. But I believe he is an above average QB and has star qualities. One who could, if put in the right situation, with a solid team around him, could win in the NFL and be an elite QB. Most of the talk about Barkley's stock dropping is based on what? His individual performance? Not hardly. It is primarily for the fact that he and his team did not meet expectations. Being ranked as the #1 overall team coming into this past season and a favorite to win the National Championship and then falling as hard as the Trojans did (like no other pre-season #1 ranked team ever), is to me the basis for most of the talk about his stock dropping. Let's take a real look at Barkley and his individual performance over the 4 years at USC. They tell a much different story.

Matt Barkley's career stats.

12, 327 pass yards--116 TD's--48 INT's--64.1 career completion percentage--148.7 career QBR--sacked only 55 times in 4 years.

Now let's look beyond the numbers.

His arm is not John Elway strong but he does have an above average throwing arm that is very accurate.

4 years starter
    Started as a true freshman
    Played in a pro style offense that translate to the NFL.
    Played on a team that usually had no defense
    Played on a team that was penalized for NCAA violations that resulted in a loss of scholarships. Scholarships that cost his team talent and depth.
    Played on a team that really never had a consistent running attack

And here is the big thing for me. In 4 years, Matt Barkley almost always had his team in a position to win. In 53 career starts only 5 times did he really play poor football. And all but those 5 games he had his team in a position to win. Think about that. In 4 years he played poorly only 5 times.

Now, let me finish this by saying this has nothing to do with my thread about "Ben traded to the Arizona Cardinals"...personally as I said in that thread I wouldn't trade Ben. But I really think people are wrong about Matt Barkley. This kid has a lot of poise and has been groomed for a long time to be a quarterback And he also has a lot of skills to go with it.

Somebody is going to get a star quarterback He is far better than Mark Sanchez. And much more ready for the NFL.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 01-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

BUT is he as dedicated at Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
    Or is he like Mark Sanchez and relies on his natural ability that was good enough to get him thru college, but never improved to be great in the NFL??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    BUT is he as dedicated at Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
    Or is he like Mark Sanchez and relies on his natural ability that was good enough to get him thru college, but never improved to be great in the NFL??
    Are you kidding me? This kid has been dedicated for the past 8 years. All through his years at Mater Dei and at SC. One of the big reasons Barkley returned for his senior year was because he was dedicated. Dedicated to finishing what he started at SC. Dedicated to improving himself as a QB.

Do you remember the fact that Sanchez only really had one season as a starter at USC?

Backup

User Info Menu

So he is basically Todd Marinovich without the addictions and baggage. If that's the case I take him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    So he is basically Todd Marinovich without the addictions and baggage. If that's the case I take him.
    How many QB's knowing they are probably a top 10 pick with a boat load of money waiting for them pass on it to go back and finish what they started? One who is dedicated to improving themselves as a player and as a human being. This kids character is off the charts. Just look at what he did the past off-season in Haiti.

Legend

User Info Menu

Uhhh...I wouldn't take a chance on him. There was a fight after the USC bowl loss to GT where the young players questioned the Senior leadership of the team. USC is a tricky school because they are usually loaded with talent. I didn't watch a lot of them this year but the games I viewed didn't impress me at all. He's gotten worse IMO... No growth.

Dub... I know you watch a ton of college ball but I don't know man... You like some funny dudes. I wouldn't touch him.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-19-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe he will be there in the 2nd. Him or a Tyler Wilson. Someone to groom finally vs the old injury prone guys we have.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 01-19-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Uhhh...I wouldn't take a chance on him. There was a fight after the USC bowl loss to GT where the young players questioned the Senior leadership of the team. USC is a tricky school because they are usually loaded with talent. I didn't watch a lot of them this year but the games I viewed didn't impress me at all. He's gotten worse IMO... No growth.

Dub... I know you watch a ton of college ball but I don't know man... You like some funny dudes. I wouldn't touch him.
    Uhhhhhhhhh..that fight was based on the poor performance that the USC team just displayed in that bowl game. A game in which Barkley did not play. Barkley's leadership was not available for that game.

Did you see the USC defense this year? That lack of leadership had a lot to do with that poor defense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Maybe he will be there in the 2nd. Him or a Tyler Wilson. Someone to groom finally vs the old injury prone guys we have.
    I doubt it. He is still a first round pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

felt, tell us why you wouldn't touch him? Be specific. And make it about Barkley not his team.