Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Foote cut

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Shazier will be lucky to make it out of the first.
    was thinking the same... Borland or bust, baby!
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thank you Larry but it was time to go. Wasn't thrilled that they brought him back him this last time. Maybe Detroit can use him. I think folks are too hard on Vince Williams especially how he was tossed into the fire with little experience. I think he might end up to be a Steelers many will love to have for years to come. I seen him improve a bit or at times and a special quality that looks rough around the edges at this time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    was thinking the same... Borland or bust, baby!
    Borland plays with attitude and this D needs some of that.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Dulac says Spence is ahead of schedule:

What does Larry Foote's release mean for Sean Spence?

The decision to release veteran Larry Foote does not mean the Steelers think Sean Spence has recovered from his devastating knee injury and is ready to return to full-time action.

But it does point up that they think the young players they have at inside linebacker – Spence, Vince Williams and Terence Garvin – are ready and more than capable of replacing Foote.

In an ideal world, that player is Spence, a third-round draft choice in 2012 whose rookie season -- and possibly career – was halted by a preseason injury in which he sustained multiple ligament tears, fractured his kneecap and damaged the peroneal nerve.

The latter is the most serious because it causes a lack of movement and sensation in the foot and leg. The peroneal nerve has regenerated and Spence is significantly ahead of where the Steelers thought he would be at this point. But, because of the unstable nature of the nerve, it is still too early to determine if he is healthy enough to play in 2014.

So what happens?

Well, one of two things:

 The Steelers could go into free agency and find an inside linebacker with some experience who could be a starter in 2014.

 Or, it brings into play the possibility of drafting an inside linebacker, maybe Alabama’s C.J. Mosley, with the 15th overall pick. The Steelers believe the draft has more quality outside linebackers than inside backers, so, if they want one, they might have to do it early.

The Steelers top defensive priority is improving their run defense in 2014, and they will look for players in the front seven to do that. The loss of Foote only exacerbates the situation.

[url]http://sportsblogs.pos[/url]...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Shazier will be lucky to make it out of the first.
    Lucky? lol

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    The Steelers top defensive priority is improving their run defense in 2014, and they will look for players in the front seven to do that. The loss of Foote only exacerbates the situation.
    Very happy to read that. Many on this boarddon't feel that way. That instead, it makes more sense to improve offense, as if the defense is a bit of a lost cause and we should just try to outscore opponents... Pretty sure the Ram's (Greatest Show on Turf) is the only team to successfully take that approach - and their defense was underrated.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Very happy to read that. Many on this boarddon't feel that way. That instead, it makes more sense to improve offense, as if the defense is a bit of a lost cause and we should just try to outscore opponents... Pretty sure the Ram's (Greatest Show on Turf) is the only team to successfully take that approach - and their defense was underrated.
    And even in a season where all passing records were shattered, who won the Super Bowl and how? Seattle with the best D. When it comes to post season, D still matters very much. Manning came in with his record season is passing TDs and got squashed in the SB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i think its funny that people think the team will go anywhere force feeding the ball to brown. Need another weapon on offense just as much as we need rotational guys on defense

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think its funny that people think the team will go anywhere force feeding the ball to brown. Need another weapon on offense just as much as we need rotational guys on defense
    Being that our D and O ranked almost exactly the same, you are right, but I will say the O was humming much better down the stretch, but we are losing at least our #2 WR so, case can still be made. But looking at Pgh's success at getting good WRs in later rounds, I don't believe they feel they have to go 1st round to get a good one, not to mention, I believe Wheaton will be able to fill Sanders shoes. A top shelf CB seems harder to find in later rounds, even though it does happen. If Dennard is there, take him, get WR in the 3rd or later. I also want to take another look at Justin Brown and Woods, if he is still around. Moye is also a possibility, although many more drops and he is toast.

Legend

User Info Menu

Foote came back on a deal that ensured that:

a) If he started then his cap number was an unbelievable deal
    b) If he did not start then his cap hit was not prohibitive, unlike a player like Woodley who you can't afford to not be starting and contributing like a star
    c) If he needed to be cut then it is done cheap and easily

How anyone can not like the football contract that he was brought back under is beyond me. Even if you didn't like him playing, he was on a backup number and easy to dump.