Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wallace to Report This Weekend

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    None of the players on the actual Steelers team love the Steelers as much as any of us who post on this board regularly do. To them it is a business. To us, it's our passion. The Steelers are their bosses. Do you love your boss?
    I hear what you're saying. But if 60K people came to my office every day and if millions tuned in to watch me do my job, I'd pretend to like it a lot more than I do

It's like none of us grew up the way we love our Steelers. I feel like a kid every game I watch.

Legend

User Info Menu

But you are holding the fact that he missed offseason practices and a few essentially meaningless games (really, preseason games are only meaningful to bubble guys trying to make the roster, not established starters) against him. Meanwhile, Rod Woodson is a Steeler god, and he missed half a season of actual games in a contract holdout.
    I watched some of the Pats/Philly game last night and the announcers commented, the Pats players sitting out the game looks like their ProBowl roster. Literally no great player was in the game for the Pats.

And that sort of thing makes me wonder, do the Steelers put certain guys on the PUP just to save the wear and tear.

Heck, maybe the Rooney's told Wallace to stay home for a while because he really doesn't need the preseason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers WR Mike Wallace will return
    August 22, 2012 12:13 am
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-mike-wallace-will-return-649957/[/url]

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers expect Mike Wallace to return to Pittsburgh this weekend and sign a one-year contract after the team plays its preseason game in Buffalo, multiple sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The Steelers play Saturday night. Presumably, Wallace would be eligible to play in their final preseason game against Carolina Aug. 30 at Heinz Field, but whether he will or not is unknown.

The Steelers will be off Sunday after their game against Buffalo and will have only two normal days of practice before they finish the preseason against the Panthers. Wallace will need to pass a physical before he can rejoin them.

Reporting by Monday would give the Pro Bowl wide receiver two weeks to practice and prepare for the regular-season opener Sept. 9 in Denver. His return also could trigger the re-opening of negotiations on a multiple-year deal. Talks between Wallace and the Steelers ended when he did not report for the start of training camp July 25.

The Steelers have a long-standing policy of not negotiating once the regular season begins. So, if Wallace signs his one-year tender from the Steelers Sunday or Monday, it would give them less than two weeks to work on a new deal with him.

Wallace and the team had been negotiating after no other team made him a contract offer as a restricted free agent, a period that ended in April. Wallace's rights then reverted back to the Steelers exclusively, but he has not signed their one-'year tender of $2,742,000.

After Wallace declined to sign it and did not report to camp, the Steelers turned to another wide receiver, Antonio Brown. Brown, the 2011 Steelers MVP, agreed to a six-year, $42.5 million contract two days into training camp.

Coach Mike Tomlin, interviewed at Steelers.com Monday, was asked whether seeing Wallace return would be a happy occasion.

"It depends on what frame of mind and level of conditioning and readiness that he shows up in, to be quite honest with you," Tomlin said. "I'm not going to anticipate anything and that's what I mean when I say I'll see him when I see him. He's going to dictate how we move forward."
    For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at [url]www.post-gazette.com/plus[/url]. Ed Bouchette: [email]ebouchette@post-gazette.com[/email] and Twitter @EdBouchette.
    First Published August 22, 2012 12:00 am

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-mike-wallace-will-return-649957/#ixzz24FqyMQ9E[/url]

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hines Ward had a valid contract and held out.......but it seems that all is forgiven.

MJD has a valid contract yet is holding out from the Jags right now.......A few nice runs and all will be forgotten.

Mike Vick killed dogs and sat in jail for it........but it didn't take long for that matter to fade into the background.

Ray Lewis was an accessory to a murder.........but I never hear them talking about that as the football world hails him as a hall of famer.

Only OJ who can no longer contribute on the field has his misdeeds still following him around.

I think a guy who is training on his own as he is without a valid contract will be able to come out from this rather small cloud.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Isn't OJ still in prison? Get Wallace in, get him signed and let's have the best WR combo in the league for the next three to four years. Wallace and Brown, with Big Ben and the line they are building could be a whole lot of fun to watch for a few years.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    Isn't OJ still in prison? Get Wallace in, get him signed and let's have the best WR combo in the league for the next three to four years. Wallace and Brown, with Big Ben and the line they are building could be a whole lot of fun to watch for a few years.
    The only person preventing this from happening is Mike Wallace.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree Ovie, I just hope he sees this the same way I do!
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    Get Wallace in, get him signed and let's have the best WR combo in the league for the next three to four years.
    I don't know that I'd go that far just yet. I'd say that Roddy White & Julio Jones, Greg Jennings & Jordy Nelson, and Hakeem Nicks & Victor Cruz are ahead of Wallace & Brown at this point. There is also potential for Miles Austin & Dez Bryant and Desean Jackson & Jeremy Maclin to reach that level at some point in the future, but they are not there yet (injuries and head cases have held them back). Plus Detroit and Arizona have drafted some young promising WR's recently...if any of them end up being legit wideouts across from Megatron or Fitz, they might enter the conversation in the near future as well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't know that I'd go that far just yet. I'd say that Roddy White & Julio Jones, Greg Jennings & Jordy Nelson, and Hakeem Nicks & Victor Cruz are ahead of Wallace & Brown at this point. There is also potential for Miles Austin & Dez Bryant and Desean Jackson & Jeremy Maclin to reach that level at some point in the future, but they are not there yet (injuries and head cases have held them back). Plus Detroit and Arizona have drafted some young promising WR's recently...if any of them end up being legit wideouts across from Megatron or Fitz, they might enter the conversation in the near future as well.
    I'd call Megatron's right hand and left hand the best WR duo in the league.

And lets not forget about the TEs. After Megatron, the next 2 superstar pass catchers are Gronkowski and Graham.

And then Brandon Marshall's got Jay Cutler back. He's another duo in and of himself. Didn't he have something like 25 catches in 1 game? That's more catches than Wallace and Brown ever had as a duo.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well, I was combining those men with the fact that Ben's throwing them the ball. Not saying that the guys you mentioned aren't studs but who else has a franchise quarterback, year in and year out throwing them the ball? Nelson & Jennings are awfully good as are Nicks and Cruz (and both have great quarterbacks throwing them the ball) but are either on their second contracts yet? Detroit's quarterback, prior to last year had a hard time staying on the field (he's looked really good though) and I think Flippy may well be the quarterback in Arizona. Cutler's really good but does he even like to play football? He seems to be hurt often and until Romo wins in the winter, whoever he's throwing to has a ways to go (and I went the same school as Romo so I'd like to see him do well, and the Cowboys still lose). I realize I'm being a homer, just saying if those two are on the team long term and Ben stays healthy or passing game could be dynamic for years to come.