Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers have a new QB - Landry Jones

Rookie

User Info Menu

This dude is rite....Roethlisberger still has about atleast 2 years left in him..they should have waited on the quarteback
    Till next year...im a Steeler fan but im also a honest Steeler fan i dnt think that we will
    Do to much damage this year...becuase the Afc north has gotten alot tougher...why not wait until Next season when we might have a higher pick for quarterback...we could have went with another free agent like Gradcowski

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelman7 View Post
    This dude is rite....Roethlisberger still has about atleast 2 years left in him..they should have waited on the quarteback
    Till next year...im a Steeler fan but im also a honest Steeler fan i dnt think that we will
    Do to much damage this year...becuase the Afc north has gotten alot tougher...why not wait until Next season when we might have a higher pick for quarterback...we could have went with another free agent like Gradcowski
    +1

How many 4th Rd QB has turned out to be franchise QB??? You can't just keep getting lucky like Pats did with Tom Brady..

Probability of getting a good QB in early rounds is pretty high and this year QB class was really bad.

Now since Landry Jones is a Steelers player i will be cheering for him but i don't have much expectation from that pick.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    definitely not a wasted pick... we go through 2 to 3 QB's a year.
    Fair enough but i am comfortable with Grad and Batch as Steelers backup QB for this season.

Do Steelers ned to draft a young QB..absolutely but they drafted one in a draft which had a weak QB class. They could have drafted a QB in early Rd in next year draft.

And i don't think Landry Jones is better than Charlie Batch or Grad. Hopefully he becomes next Steelers franchise QB but i don't have much expectation from this pick.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Fair enough but i am comfortable with Grad and Batch as Steelers backup QB for this season.

Do Steelers ned to draft a young QB..absolutely but they drafted one in a draft which had a weak QB class. They could have drafted a QB in early Rd in next year draft.

And i don't think Landry Jones is better than Charlie Batch or Grad. Hopefully he becomes next Steelers franchise QB but i don't have much expectation from this pick.
    At this point in Batch's career it would be difficult for Jones not to be better than him and Gradkowski while probably better because of experience won't be better for long, IMO. The only scenario I see that turns this into a wasted pick id if Jones simply can't handle the rigors and speed of the NFL; otherwise, the options are: he develops into a replacement for Ben, he develops into a quarterback that quarterback strapped teams want (there are always at least 10 teams in this situation) or he remains a serviceable backup for many years.

The only downside is if he completely fails in the NFL which is always a possibility. However, a lot of knowledgeable NFL football evaluators believe he has the size, skills and acumen to play at this level, including John Gruden who was extremely impressed with his knowledge of the game and the way he handled the Oklahoma no huddle offense.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

nah... Jones will be better than both. I don't have great expectations from his THIS year but I expect great things form him next year when Gradowski is let go and Ben goes down. The kid can ball and he is perfect for Haley's offense.

We are talking about a QB who can read D's, has a decent arm and can make all the throws.

You guys make it sound like we picked him up in the 2nd or 1st round...

Legend

User Info Menu

Batch is like 100. I like the guys heart but come on. Putting Metamucil in the Gatorade isn't going to be the best thing for team morale. Getting a young guy in there to develop is smart. Throw the 4th round stats out the window. Landry has ALL the tools to be a franchise QB. He is smart, accurate, tall, and has a nice arm. There is no reason he shouldn't be a decent to superb QB in the NFL. If he isn't franchise, he could be more than a serviceable back up for many years. It's time to let Batch coach or whatever...but he doesn't need to QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Batch is like 100. I like the guys heart but come on. Putting Metamucil in the Gatorade isn't going to be the best thing for team morale. Getting a young guy in there to develop is smart. Throw the 4th round stats out the window. Landry has ALL the tools to be a franchise QB. He is smart, accurate, tall, and has a nice arm. There is no reason he shouldn't be a decent to superb QB in the NFL. If he isn't franchise, he could be more than a serviceable back up for many years. It's time to let Batch coach or whatever...but he doesn't need to QB.
    I love Batch... leave him ALONE!!! lol...

but I agree with Jones... Not sure why being drafted in the 4th means he can't be a franchise QB... this league is set up for passing QB's to succeed and we are a seeing young guys come in on day one and look decent. I'm sure he will look just as good, if not better, with a few years under his belt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelman7 View Post

Ben has about four to five years left if he stays healthy. We are going to reach a Peyton Manning or Brett Favre decision with Ben after 2015. IMO Ben not retiring as a Steeler would be a shame.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I love Batch... leave him ALONE!!! lol...

but I agree with Jones... Not sure why being drafted in the 4th means he can't be a franchise QB... this league is set up for passing QB's to succeed and we are a seeing young guys come in on day one and look decent. I'm sure he will look just as good, if not better, with a few years under his belt.
    New England has a "franchise QB" who was draft in the 6th Round. Worked out OK for them.

I think we got the steal of this draft at the QB position. In the right system Jones can be a star. I think Haley's system is that system.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You guys need to learn the lesson of Steve Mcnair. Big Ben isn't going to last as long as a Payton Manning or a Tom Brady. His career arc is going to look a lot like Steve Mcnair's.

Mcnair took a beating his whole career very similar to Big Ben. Mcnair went to the Ravens and had one more good year at 33 years of age. In 2007 at just 34 years of age he was shot. He was done.

We'll get 3 more years out of Big Ben. The injuries will continue to pile up and he will slow down more and more.

This is a pick for a back-up QB with the potential to start in the future for Big Ben when he misses games.
    Here comes the BOOM!