Thread: There are a couple of players moving up on my Steeler Draft Board...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There are a couple of players moving up on my Steeler Draft Board...

CB Jonathan Banks of Mississippi State is a flat out play maker. 15 career picks 4 of which he has returned for TD's. He isn't great/dominate in any one category but he does all things well. Great size and he processes the physicality that the Steelers like in the 3-4 corners.

DE/OLB Demontre Moore Texas A & M. 6 ft 4 205 and explosive off the edge. Had a great game versus LSU yesterday. This year he has 62 tackles. 17 TFL, and 9.5 sacks. And he has played well against elite competition (Florida/LSU), with 20 tackles 4 sacks and 5 TFL.

ILB Kevin Minter LSU. Another great game yesterday versus Texas A & M. 12 tackles, 1 INT, and 1 Sack. For the year he has 75 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 INT, and 5 PD's all of this from the ILB position. Minter is the rare combination for an ILB who can play downhill against the run and is more than adequate in pass coverage. And when they turn him lose after the QB from inside he is a force.

NT/DT Jonathan Hankins Ohio State. Yeah I know he is already a top 5 pick and maybe even the first overall but I gotta talk about this guy. Hankins is an athletic freak who can play all over the D-line. NT, DT, and can play a 5 technique. Always double teamed. I have watched him exclusively the past couple of games and never once have I seen him either pushed back or even just kept at bay at the LOS. He is always at least 2 yards deep into the opponents backfield. More times than not it's more like 5 yards deep. And this is with at least two men on him. Any time you can an opposing team has to account for a D-lineman and you can move him around at several positions, you are looking at a major force. If any team was wanting to build a defense around a defensive front player, ala Joe Greene, it's Hankins and Star Lotulelei of Utah.

CB Carrington Byndom Texas.
    Doesnt have the flashing stats but I am noticing teams are throwing away from him now. 4 INT's and 20 PD's in the last year and half.

CB Jordan Poyer Oregon State. Great size at 6 ft 190 and makes plays in the secondary. 11 Int's and 3 for TD's in the past 3 years. And Poyer doesn't shy away from contact.

And a look ahead to 2014, I think DE Jadeveon Clowney South Carolina is the first defensive player since Charles Woodson to win the Heisman Trophy and will be the number one overall pick. He is as good as there ever has been at his position. And he will continue to get better.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 10-21-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thanks Dub. Will keep am eye on these guys heading into the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Thanks Dub. Will keep am eye on these guys heading into the draft.
    which is still over 6 months away...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    which is still over 6 months away...
    Thats ok I can watch the Steelers season and keep an eye on the up coming draft. Also I don't watch college football. So the guys that do can keep an eye on good players and post about them to help me out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Thats ok I can watch the Steelers season and keep an eye on the up coming draft. Also I don't watch college football. So the guys that do can keep an eye on good players and post about them to help me out.
    me too, just understand that with the draft still over 6 months away most of these prospects will see their draft stock move up and down so dramatically that it's hard to take anything today too seriously.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Hankins is the best NT/DT I have seen in a long time. He commands and breaks double teams...and can chase running backs like linebackers all at 330+ pounds. I will say though John Simon is highly underrated. The guy is a gamer.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Hankins is the best NT/DT I have seen in a long time. He commands and breaks double teams...and can chase running backs like linebackers all at 330+ pounds. I will say though John Simon is highly underrated. The guy is a gamer.
    Agreed on both points. I like the fact that Hankins can be used all over the defensive front. He already is a nightmare of a match up problem then to have to account for him from different positions on the D-front is awesome.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Best Buckeye DL we have had in years.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I like the fact that Hankins can be used all over the defensive front. He already is a nightmare of a match up problem then to have to account for him from different positions on the D-front is awesome.
    and if we keep playing the way we are and not win anymore games this season, we might actually have a shot at him.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha