Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis vs. Jason

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones should get the start, let JW backup both spots.
    I'm sure JW will be injured at some point in the next few weeks anyways

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    "It's all speed"... for a guy who runs in the 4.9 range, that's not good.

Seriously, I've seen RBs get to the edge on him more than once this season. And with that in mind, I watched a UGA replay from last year, where a runner got around the edge on him. The guy is slow, even though he does flash a lot and make "speed" plays a lot. It's hard to explain.

Eh... Id argue against that.

He pulled his hammy running the first 40 about half way through. Only thing was accurate was his 10 yard split (1.66) Which is identical to Aldon Smith who ran a 4.71 40

Also, Butler thinks that Jarvis, actually runs about a 4.7 or so.

He can play slow at times, but he is nowhere near slow (also see the florida game where he chased the WR down and stripped the ball to stop a game winning touchdown)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Eh... Id argue against that.

He pulled his hammy running the first 40 about half way through. Only thing was accurate was his 10 yard split (1.66) Which is identical to Aldon Smith who ran a 4.71 40

Also, Butler thinks that Jarvis, actually runs about a 4.7 or so.

He can play slow at times, but he is nowhere near slow (also see the florida game where he chased the WR down and stripped the ball to stop a game winning touchdown)

I agree with you.

Jarvis Jones may not be track fast but he's football fast, and I'll take that every time over being a star at the Underwear Olympics.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Based on what I have seen, I agree with you. And, I'm not a fan of starting rookies in most cases. But Jones has the IT factor, and he changes games. The good outweighs the bad with starting him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers depth chart: Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds are co-starters

By Christopher Carter on Sep 10 2013

After Sunday, Jones has taken another step toward cracking the starting lineup.

Jarvis Jones' play this weekend continued to make his case to be a starter on the Steelers' defense. That has gone noticed by the Pittsburgh staff and earned him a co-starting role that will interchange with fourth year player Jason Worilds. Although it does not put him on the field as much as his counterpart, LaMarr Woodley, it does mean he's progressing very well early in his rookie season.

Although the Steelers depth chart may list Worilds as the starter, the Steelers are definitely using the two in a rotation in order to give the team the best chance of winning while developing the rookie first round draft pick.

Against the Titans, Worilds was on the field for more defensive plays from scrimmage between the two, but fans all noticed Jones' contributions to the team before anything that Worilds was able to provide. Worilds was involved in 46 plays against the Titans, while Jones was involved for 30.

Woodley's snap count was at 60 on Sunday, confirming his pre-game assertion that he will not be a part time linebacker. Woodley also produced the team's only sack on Jake Locker, and contributed fairly to the pressure provided that forced many early throws.

Jones was used in different exotic blitz packages that featured stunts and blitzes towards the interior gaps on passing downs. As progress continues to be made for the rookie, all appearances suggest the Steelers are giving him every opportunity to lockup a starting position. Meanwhile, Worilds continues to be fresh legs for the defense to aid the efforts to prevent running backs from rushing outside the tackles.

The next step in this position battle will be to keep an eye out for any news on practice reps this week between Worilds and Jones. Then the snap count on next Monday, when the team plays in Cincinnati, should be more telling of whether Pittsburgh intends on maintaining a rotation that favors Worilds or if Jones will continue to see an increase in playing time.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/9/10/4716612/Steelers-depth-chart-jarvis-jones-outside-linebacker-week-2[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Writing is on the wall- Jarvis Jones will be the stand alone starter soon.

Worilds might need to move inside, but with Foote out, Chadman is hoping to see Vince Williams get the start there..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think if Jones didn't have the chest injury he'd be the starter by now. He missed a lot of reps in camp though.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am fine with a bit of rotation, but I would like to see it weighted so that Jones is on the field more. Timmons was effective early in his career when he would come in fresh on passing downs after Foote played on early downs. Using Worilds a bit to keep Jones fresh could be similarly effective.

Legend

User Info Menu

Rookie Jones to make first start for Steelers against Bengals

September 11, 2013
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jarvis Jones, shown here fighting through a block during training camp, will make his first career start Monday night in Cincinnati.

The Steelers plan to increase the number of snaps outside linebacker Jarvis Jones plays against the Cincinnati Bengals, and it appears that will happen in a big way.

Jones, the team's No. 1 draft choice, said he is running with the first-team defense in practice and plans to stay there for Monday night's nationally televised game.

"That's the way it is right now," Jones said after today's practice. "As long as I continue to keep doing what I'm doing, I hope it stays like that."

Jason Worilds started the season opener against the Tennessee Titans and was rotated every third series with Jones at right outside linebacker. On the second play of his first series, Jones made a jarring tackle on running back Chris Johnson, dropping him for a 2-yard loss.

After that, he played even more in the second half. Worilds played 47 snaps against the Titans, Jones 26. The Steelers wanted to shrink that disparity this week.

"It's my dream, it's something I definitely want to do is start and be in that rotation and fight with my guys," Jones said. "I just want to continue to strive for the best and keep getting better.

"Any role that I can contribute to helping my team win, whether it's starting or co-starting or coming off the bench, I'm going to accept it and play to the best of my ability. At the end of the day, I can't control anything, as far as the coach's decision. The only thing I can do is put my work out there, put my resume out there."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rookie-jones-to-make-first-start-for-steelers-against-bengals-702839/#ixzz2ec25uy9i[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    "It's all speed"... for a guy who runs in the 4.9 range, that's not good.

Seriously, I've seen RBs get to the edge on him more than once this season. And with that in mind, I watched a UGA replay from last year, where a runner got around the edge on him. The guy is slow, even though he does flash a lot and make "speed" plays a lot. It's hard to explain.
    (ahem... 3 weeks later)... we basically agree, but, in addition to the fact that he had a hammy injury, I contend that football speed isn't necessarily the same... some of it is instinct and getting a good jump, some is being able to run the same speed in equipment... i recall Marcus Allen was mid-4.6's in the 40... that's crawling for a RB... he did alright... on the flip side, have you ever seen a 4.4 guy who just looks slow? happens a lot with WR's who can't get open. I don't know if it's a matter of reacting instead of thinking your way through the game... it's weird.

On a totally different note, I hope he and Mike Adams pan out. I thought it was cool that in back to back years, the team got guys who fell, but, WANTED to be Steelers.... "elite talent chooses black and gold"