Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Wallace Reflects on Season

Legend

User Info Menu

Talking about Wallace at all is moot because he won't be a Steeler anymore. Let's talk about players who actually want to be Steelers and will help us going forward.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Signing Brown wasn't 'tit-for-tat', but signing Brown almost immediately after Wallace rejected the contract, to what was reported to be roughly close to what they offered Wallace, was. Go back to last off season & see where we were on resigning Brown- general consensus was 5 years, $20 million- or there abouts. Not $42 million. That's the money you give to the guy that had 3 outstanding seasons behind him, not 1.

Got nothing against Brown. The guy deserved to be resigned. The Steelers stupidly overpaid him though, because they have 2 guys on the roster that do the exact same job as him in Sanders & Cotchery.

They have nobody that does the job of Wallace on the roster though.

And no matter which way you want to slice it, Brown's production was way down this season, after 'getting paid'. Yet he doesn't cop half the spray Wallace gets. The reason Wallace cops the abuse here is because his percieved value of himself is higher than the majority of the fans. As if we pay his wages and all..
    Sanders and Cotchery aren't even close to Brown except that like Brown they want to be Steelers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

I don't think Wallace is Satan...Brown wanted to be here and signed a contract...

Good decision by the FO or not, he will get the chance to prove that he's worth the contract...

Wallace said no to the contract and had a chance to prove that he was worth a larger one...he didn't...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sanders and Cotchery aren't even close to Brown except that like Brown they want to be Steelers.
    Agreed. Brown is a legit #2 WR. Sanders and Cotchery are appropriately slotted as third and fourth WRs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Agreed. Brown is a legit #2 WR. Sanders and Cotchery are appropriately slotted as third and fourth WRs.

I think Sanders can be a #2 with a dangerous WR on the other side who draws some doubles. Unfortunately, I don't think Brown is that guy. Cotchery's position on the depth chart is appropriate.

Backup

User Info Menu

Wallace is not going to be a Steeler going forward.

His actions and attitude this season show he is only interested in one thing, and thats getting paid. And I have no problem with that. Its a brutal game and you need to take care of your financial well being. But he deosnt care about being a Steeler. I think like many NFL guys he doesn't care which team he's are on. He can wear blue and silver, teal and white, or black and gold, but the way he held himself this year shows he is only looking out for the $$$$.

It's funny how us fans scream about a Super Bowl every year while most of the players (I think) look to secure the money before they really worry about a ring.

As for paying our WRs, I think we overpaid a bit on Brown, but Wallace doesnt deserve any more then that contract. I also don't see Wallace as a team's #1 WR, but he'll find someone to pay him close to that level.

Legend

User Info Menu

There are 9 teams with over $10 million in cap space. 2 of those have $20 million. Someone else will drive the dump truck of money up to his house just for his speed alone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    There are 9 teams with over $10 million in cap space. 2 of those have $20 million. Someone else will drive the dump truck of money up to his house just for his speed alone.
    and that team will probably be the Colts. One of the best young QBs in the league, a coach who Wallace knows will be willing to send him deep all the time, and another speedster opposite him in TY Hilton to draw some safety coverage. From a business perspective, Wallace would be crazy not to pitch himself hard to the Colts. It helps that they might also have $40 million in cap space to play with.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    and that team will probably be the Colts. One of the best young QBs in the league, a coach who Wallace knows will be willing to send him deep all the time, and another speedster opposite him in TY Hilton to draw some safety coverage. From a business perspective, Wallace would be crazy not to pitch himself hard to the Colts. It helps that they might also have $40 million in cap space to play with.
    Of course, that changes a bit if Arians gets a HC job. Still, I can understand how a speedster would like to play on that field.

Legend

User Info Menu

I may be the only one who thinks so, but I believe Sanders still has it in him to be the #1 WR on this team. He's not as fast as Wally. He's not as explosive and doesn't have Brown's hands.

But he's precise, he has a knack for finding soft spots to get open, and he works hard. He catches my eye from time to time as a guy who's trying to contribute on every play. I really think he has a great work ethic. And we have to cut him some slack since he's had the nagging foot injury for a while and this will really be his first true offseason where he's healthy.

He's had a couple of miscues this season. But I'd like to see what he can do. He's capable. And if we get him on the outside, we could start to think about using Rainey some work in the slot where I think he could flourish long term.