Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin vs Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    +1. While it won't ever be enough for the "haters" Tomlin proved this season exactly why the Rooneys hired him and will keep him for a good long while.
    Agreed. Many coaches would have lost the locker room after that start. I'll also point out that outsiders who observe Tomlin on the job seem to always come away impressed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Agreed. Many coaches would have lost the locker room after that start. I'll also point out that outsiders who observe Tomlin on the job seem to always come away impressed.
    +1 on Shawn and Felt and this.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I believe it's Tomlins fault from the start that his team struggled at the start. Yeah congratulate him that he got things finally moving but he is also the person that couldn't have his team ready for the past three game openers. If he had won one of those games or the opener what I really mean there, could be an argument for him. I know there are injuries and what team doesn't have them. The injury to Pouncey was a blessing in my opinion because the new guy was better. Should also show the light to the front office that, Pouncey isn't anyone to empty the piggy bank over. Not trying to hijack this thread with Pouncey. Good job to Tomlin for digging his way to 8-8 only after he came into another season unprepared. And to lose the home opener against the Titans......... He better go back to coaching 101 again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not a Tomlin hater because I felt Cowher could have got this team back to a Super Bowl let alone win one. Tomlin was the right enthusiasm and lets take the handcuffs off the assistant coaches at the right time kind of guy. I doubt we would have ever seen the James Harrison that made our defense and success what it was under Tomlin. It was Cowhers time to go...Also, I hate to bash Cowher too much because I'm sure he had more important things on his mind with his wife having cancer.

Legend

User Info Menu

i just cant be impressed with a .500 season.
    i dont care if they started 0-8 and finished 8-0, 2-6 or 6-2 or anything in between. bottom line is there was some terrible play/coaching during a 16 game season. making the playoffs is based on 16 games, not the first half of a season, or the last or the middle. if finishing strong is enough for you guys, congrats on the successful season and top notch coach
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i just cant be impressed with a .500 season.
    i dont care if they started 0-8 and finished 8-0, 2-6 or 6-2 or anything in between. bottom line is there was some terrible play/coaching during a 16 game season. making the playoffs is based on 16 games, not the first half of a season, or the last or the middle. if finishing strong is enough for you guys, congrats on the successful season and top notch coach
    Most are impressed with getting to .500 after starting 0-4.

The fact the you feel we are at the steps of city hall demanding a parade and statue for Tomlin for a .500 season says a lot about your outlook on this team.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't see anything impressive about finally starting to beat teams you should have been beating earlier. They only "good" team they played all year was the bungles (who suck on the road) and the pats* (who they got destroyed by). They had an easy schedule this year. No, Carolina, SF, Seattle, Indy, Denver, New Orleans, ETC... They played ONE great QB and got killed. They played GB with a guy who was cut a week before by another team. I just don't get all the excitement because they beat a few bad teams and a couple average teams.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I believe it's Tomlins fault from the start that his team struggled at the start. Yeah congratulate him that he got things finally moving but he is also the person that couldn't have his team ready for the past three game openers. If he had won one of those games or the opener what I really mean there, could be an argument for him. I know there are injuries and what team doesn't have them. The injury to Pouncey was a blessing in my opinion because the new guy was better. Should also show the light to the front office that, Pouncey isn't anyone to empty the piggy bank over. Not trying to hijack this thread with Pouncey. Good job to Tomlin for digging his way to 8-8 only after he came into another season unprepared. And to lose the home opener against the Titans......... He better go back to coaching 101 again.
    umm... can you cut the guy at least a little slack this season?.... losing your starting probowl center and your defensive captain in the first game of the season might have had just a small impact on things....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    umm... can you cut the guy at least a little slack this season?.... losing your starting probowl center and your defensive captain in the first game of the season might have had just a small impact on things....

i thought he needed the slack after the denver debacle
    then it was after last year
    now its after this season
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Who's excited? No one is nominating him for Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I don't see anything impressive about finally starting to beat teams you should have been beating earlier. They only "good" team they played all year was the bungles (who suck on the road) and the pats* (who they got destroyed by). They had an easy schedule this year. No, Carolina, SF, Seattle, Indy, Denver, New Orleans, ETC... They played ONE great QB and got killed. They played GB with a guy who was cut a week before by another team. I just don't get all the excitement because they beat a few bad teams and a couple average teams.
    But I'm certainly willing to give credit where it is due. We were one botched referee call from the playoffs! And if we win one playoff game vs. KC like the Chargers did, we would have had quite a season (after starting 0-4).

Now, I hope he is honest and self-critical, because the 0-4 hole was self-induced. And it was largely related to a flawed evaluation process... that thought Mike Adams was a viable LT candidate. If you boil it down, that one personnel move cost us a playoff berth.