Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some good fits?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Breaston isn't the playmaker we need at WR, he scored what....3 TD's in the last three years, sorry, I'll pass, after Brown and Sanders we already have a bunch of Breastons.
    Of course, they haven't exactly been TD machines either...

Backup

User Info Menu

Got a few options that could be useful IMHO if "right priced"...

James Casey, Houston Texans - plays the hybrid fullback/ pass catching TE position the Steelers have gravitated towards in recent years... except unlike the guys we've run out there he's actually GOOD. Could be a dynamic part of the passing game and insurance against a longer than expected recovery for Heath and come relatively inexpensively

Peyton Hillis, Kansas City Chiefs - a Steeler kind of player when he was right, plus wouldn't it be just perfect to resurrect this guy's career and add another year to Cleveland's 40 in a row misery streak? Wouldn't cost us much to try.

Brian Hartline, Miami Dolphins - not a ton of downfield speed, but he can catch the freaking football dependably, which is more than could be said of any player currently on the roster last season. They need a guy to replace Hines as the guy who finds a way to get it done on 3rd and 8.

Danny Woodhead, New England Patriots - Catches passes, returns kicks, could do a lot of the things we were asking Chris Rainey to do last year. Depth at RB, good blocking back to keep Ben upright.

Sammie Lee Hill, Detroit Lions - Drafted as a big space eating DT in the mid rounds a few years ago by Detroit then relegated to the bench when back to back first round studs fell to them at his position. I thought at the time he was more suited to our 3 - 4 than their 4 - 3. Still do.

Delaney Walker, San Francisco 49ers - Pass Catching TE, blocks well enough in San Fran's ground and pound attack, could replace Heath until his return, then give us some of the dynamic Gronk and Hernandez style fireworks once Heath returns.

and the pipe dream...

Danell Ellerbe Baltimore Ravens - Could we really put all our FA chips in this one pile and win twice, once by getting an up and coming ILB who was Baltimore's best last year and again by taking away the heir apparent to Ray Lewis while they're busy mortgageing their future on a $20 mil per deal on an average quarterback who hit a 4 game hot streak at the right time? I'd consider it the coup of the offseason.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Breaston is scheduled to meet with the Steelers today per article in the Post Gazette. Looks like they won't keep Cotchery and Plax so I guess we'll need another receiver to fill the void. If we get him at a reasonable amount I guess its ok, but we still need another playmaker to compliment Brown & Sanders.

We know what Brown is capable of, maybe Sanders is the dark horse here in that with getting more reps and starting he may turn out to be a productive receiver for us. I think he improved over 2011 this past season so baring injury he may work out pretty decent. We discussed receiver quite a bit not only who we have but draft possibilities, wouldn't a TE be just as important if they are trying to mazimize their offense? I would think a good TE could help us just as much as a WR especially now with Heath's uncertain return.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Breaston is scheduled to meet with the Steelers today per article in the Post Gazette. Looks like they won't keep Cotchery and Plax so I guess we'll need another receiver to fill the void. If we get him at a reasonable amount I guess its ok, but we still need another playmaker to compliment Brown & Sanders.

We know what Brown is capable of, maybe Sanders is the dark horse here in that with getting more reps and starting he may turn out to be a productive receiver for us. I think he improved over 2011 this past season so baring injury he may work out pretty decent. We discussed receiver quite a bit not only who we have but draft possibilities, wouldn't a TE be just as important if they are trying to mazimize their offense? I would think a good TE could help us just as much as a WR especially now with Heath's uncertain return.
    Sanders has the ability to be about the closest thing to Holmes if given the opportunity. His chance is now. The only reason the Steelers haven't shown a commitment to him contract wise is because he hasn't been given the chance to start 16 games in his career and he has shown some durability concerns. Playing on his tender this year could be a gamble for the Steelers but they really have no choice.