Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It keeps getting alluded to, but does anyone know outside of the FO who ...?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I believe that Cowher came out of his feud with Donohoe with much more power/control than Tomlin has at this time. Thus, "Colbert's" early drafts with the Steelers were heavily influenced/run by Cowher. Along comes Tomlin without the same power/control that Cowher had and the drafts we are seeing now are heavily influenced/run by Colbert. Just my belief/opinion with nothing factual in evidence.
    Keep one thing in mind: in 2010 Colbert wanted to draft Sean Lee, Tomlin wanted to draft Jason Worlids. Colbert does not have all the power when it comes to drafting.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Keep one thing in mind: in 2010 Colbert wanted to draft Sean Lee, Tomlin wanted to draft Jason Worlids. Colbert does not have all the power when it comes to drafting.

There you go

Banned

User Info Menu

The FIRST picks of Cowher and Tomlin: 1992 Searcy, and 2007 Timmons were the head coaches. No one else. That's the "tradition".

The rest? They all have input, but Cowher had more say from 2000-2006 unless Dan Rooney "nudged" them in a direction.

Colbert has more say now with Tomlin here, than he ever had while he was with Cowher.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GermanCrash View Post
    The FIRST picks of Cowher and Tomlin: 1992 Searcy, and 2007 Timmons were the head coaches. No one else. That's the "tradition".

The rest? They all have input, but Cowher had more say from 2000-2006 unless Dan Rooney "nudged" them in a direction.

Colbert has more say now with Tomlin here, than he ever had while he was with Cowher.
    I think Tomlin has had more say than what most give him credit for. It was well known that Tomlin was in a love fest with Timmons. Tomlin had a lot of say in the Timmons pick and that was his first draft so what makes you think he doesn't have as much say? If he had that persuasion in a 1st round pick, in his first ever draft as a head coach, I'd say he has A LOT of say... wouldn't you?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I think Tomlin has had more say than what most give him credit for. It was well known that Tomlin was in a love fest with Timmons. Tomlin had a lot of say in the Timmons pick and that was his first draft so what makes you think he doesn't have as much say? If he had that persuasion in a 1st round pick, in his first ever draft as a head coach, I'd say he has A LOT of say... wouldn't you?
    What Crash is saying is that the Steelers have a "tradition" of letting the new coach make the call on the very first pick of his first draft (this explains why word is that Timmons was Tomlins guy). Thereafter, there is a more traditional collaboration (thus it is harder to peg a player as favorite of any individual).

BC having predated Colbert and already entrenched had more power that Colbert. The situation was reversed with Colbert having the upper hand and the newer Tomlin.
    Frankly it makes perfect sense, but I dont know that it can be substantiated.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 09-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GermanCrash View Post

You wouldn't happen to have any evidence about this "tradition" now, would you?
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Its pretty late in the day.
    You might need to find "Yugoslavian" Crash to get your answer.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Its pretty late in the day.
    You might need to find "Yugoslavian" Crash to get your answer.
    I'm holding out for "Pitcairn Islands Crash".

Legend

User Info Menu

Just claimed squatters rights on "ZambianCrash".

I wonder how much I should hold out for ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Banned

User Info Menu

It's common knowledge. The first pick of the head coaches first draft is his.

Timmons wasn't even Plan A. He was Plan B.

Revis was the guy they were going to pick. Until the Jets swapped up and stole him.