Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft prospect not mentioned much here

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Curtis Brown...yet...
    he hasn't shown squat to this point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Curtis Brown...yet...
    I haven't seen anything from Brown that leads me to believe that he will be anything more than a very good special teams player. He was awful against Dallas, getting benched for Victorian.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Kenny Vaccaro is a good football player. I have seen a lot of Texas over the past couple of years. My opinion is that in the NFL he would struggle at free safety. He is not what you would want cover-wise for that position or even playing over the slot. He is a natural strong safety. And I believe he will be a very good one in the NFL. What you would get out of him from that spot is what you would also get out of T.J. McDonald (who I also feels is better suited for SS).

I've said it many times over the past two years. If you want a safety who could cover (ball hawk), Baccari Rambo is the best. in my opinion.
    I agree with your assessment of Vaccaro, but I think he is head and shoulders above McDonald.

McDonald struggled badly this year and will probably be a good pick-up in the 4th rd.

If you want a ball hawking free safety. Your best pick would be Philip Thomas from Fresno. That guy is a perfect fit at free safety. He's probably a round 2 guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I haven't seen anything from Brown that leads me to believe that he will be anything more than a very good special teams player. He was awful against Dallas, getting benched for Victorian.
    You might be right but going into this year I would have said the same about Lewis except he was a lousy special teams player.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I've said it many times over the past two years. If you want a safety who could cover (ball hawk), Baccari Rambo is the best. in my opinion.
    wonder if Rambo will be on the Steelers' draft board after being suspended for the first 4 games of Georgia's season this year for smoking weed?

I realize we drafted Mike Adams after he got busted for the same offense but he initially wasn't on our draft board either, he had to fly to Pittsburgh to convince the Steelers brass to draft him.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    You might be right but going into this year I would have said the same about Lewis except he was a lousy special teams player.

Good point. Brown will be fine.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I agree with your assessment of Vaccaro, but I think he is head and shoulders above McDonald.

McDonald struggled badly this year and will probably be a good pick-up in the 4th rd.

If you want a ball hawking free safety. Your best pick would be Philip Thomas from Fresno. That guy is a perfect fit at free safety. He's probably a round 2 guy.
    Because McDonald was playing out of position. He's not so great in coverage. He needs to play at or near the box/LOS and in zone coverage.

Remember we have had this discussion about Thomas and being a ball hawk. I will not deny that he has ball skills but Rambo numbers are much better. So...that makes Rambo more of a ball hawk.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Because McDonald was playing out of position. He's not so great in coverage. He needs to play at or near the box/LOS and in zone coverage.

Remember we have had this discussion about Thomas and being a ball hawk. I will not deny that he has ball skills but Rambo numbers are much better. So...that makes Rambo more of a ball hawk.
    McDonald is not a good fit for our defense. More of a LB'er than a safety IMO.

I like Rambo, but he is going to be off of the Steelers board. Thomas is probably not physical enough for the Steelers.

Steelers will probably rate Elam, Vaccaro, and my personal favorite D.J. Swearinger higher.

Legend

User Info Menu

2013 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 (Divisional Playoff Week Edition)

Jan 12th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Matt Elam SS (Florida)

As I have stated on numerous occasions, the Steelers must find a way to plan for the future at both Safety positions this offseason. One player in particular I can see them targeting with the 17th overall pick is Matt Elam of Florida. Like I pointed out in a post from a month ago, Elam has the tools and skill-set to be a nice replacement for Troy Polamalu once he hangs up his cleats.

Elam is a big-hitter who is not only speedy, but can line up in a number of different areas on the Defensive side of the ball. The Strong Safety (5’10″ 202 lbs.) improved off of his solid Sophomore season (78 Tackles, 11.0 TFL’s, 2.0 Sacks, 2 INT’s), and racked up 76 Tackles, 11.0 TFL’s, 2.0 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 Interceptions as Elam helped lead the Gators’ Defense to a Sugar Bowl berth. A year or two stint behind Polamalu and under the tutelage of Defensive Backs Coach Carnell Lake could serve Elam well, and also give him time to develop into a quality Safety.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/01/12/2013-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-divisional-playoff-week-edition/2/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

More defense....yay.