Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers very impressed with LB Lawrence Timmons

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers very impressed with LB Lawrence Timmons

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense is once again among the NFL’s elite, ranking second in total yards allowed, and inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons is a big reason why. The seventh-year Steelers made 20 tackles in a 19-16 win against the Baltimore Ravens, with a handful of those stops coming after he broke his left hand, according to head coach Mike Tomlin:

“Lawrence Timmons broke his left hand. That’s been casted. He is ready to go. That happened late in the third or early in the fourth quarter of the game. He was able to finish. We fixed it. He has full mobility in all of his fingers, but it has been secured with a cast.”

Timmons will play Sunday vs the Oakland Raiders with a cast on the hand. He currently leads the Steelers with 54 tackles. He also intercepted a pass two weeks ago against the New York Jets to preserve the Steelers’ first win of the season, and they’re now riding a two-game winning streak back into postseason contention.

“He’s all over the field,” Hall of Fame defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said of him. “He’s always one of our leading tacklers. He’s been a good interceptor and made a lot of good runs after he got the ball. I don’t know what more you want the guy to do? To me he has played at an All-Pro level for several years.”

The Steelers will need that kind of production from Timmons this week against the Oakland Raider’s run-focused offense that ranks ninth in the league with 129 rush yard per game. The two-headed monster of RB Darren McFadden and QB Terrelle Pryor will leave Timmons with many opportunities to make stops and keep the Oakland offense contained.

[url]http://fansided.com/2013/10/24/pittsburgh-steelers-impressed-lb-lawrence-timmons/2/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I have a feeling Timmons is gonna b the key to shutting down the Raiders and Pryor specifically. Just a few years back, DL turned him loose on Mike Vick and Pryor's no Vick. I'd expect a similar scheme to what we ran against Baltimore with a focus on shutting down McFadden.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    The Pittsburgh Steelers defense is once again among the NFL’s elite......
    Sorry....you lost me right there.

Schedule has a lot to do with a teams overall stats. And more times than not, they are misleading. This defense is far from elite. But drink the cool-aide if you want.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post

Schedule has a lot to do with a teams overall stats. And more times than not, they are misleading. This defense is far from elite. But drink the cool-aide if you want.
    I was thinking the same with the "riding a two game winning streak back into playoff contention" comment. Mathematically true but a tough one to take seriously.

Legend

User Info Menu

There's a lot still yet to prove, but I think they are on their way. I like the new D scheme we have been running the last 2 games. We may have the answer to all these passing teams so long as the running game doesnt start beating us.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post

You know what else affects overall defensive stats? When your offense turns the ball over a lot...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You know what else affects overall defensive stats? When your offense turns the ball over a lot...
    This is true..

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And to think it took what, 5 years for him to get good? I mean, I'm pretty happy that he is becoming a very key part of the defense...but it took this long?
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

It made Sacko look like Montana on that Touchdown drive, though.

Zero interceptions and a completion rate alot higher then Sack had averaged so far.

I am not really sold on that sheme, yet.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    And to think it took what, 5 years for him to get good? I mean, I'm pretty happy that he is becoming a very key part of the defense...but it took this long?
    No.

As LeBeau said, he's performed at that level for years...