Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: KC/Steelers game thread: Pre & post game thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    On the other hand, while I like Mike Tomlin and the way he goes about his business and never makes excuses for himself or the team, you have to admit that over the past three years the mental mistakes, lack of special teams play and at times what appears to be a lack of effort at some point reflect on the coach,it's the nature of the job.

Pappy
    Absolutely. When men start to lose their jobs for excessive penalties, locker room nonsense, off the field nonsense, turnovers...the sloppy play gets resolved. The fact is this...when players don't fear for their jobs, they get lax. It's human nature. Tomlin has to hold people accountable to the point of cutting certain players for effect, to set a tone. That tone should say, turnovers and knuckled headed penalties wont be tolerated.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Cowher coached the Steelers record pass attempts. (Maddox)

Ben broke 9 NFL records under Cowher

Sure Cowher limited Ben his first two seasons true. Would you trade 13-0 followed by youngest SB winning QB for some other coaching style?

Year 3 BC put the offense on Bens shoulders and moved away from ball control and we went from elite SB champs to playoff miss.
    Tommy Maddox the insurance agent/XFL swap meet superstar? That's who you are running with? LOL.. I think that proves my point.

..and we all watched the 2009 season... you think that was Ben's fault for all those losses? We had to onside kick after scoring AT HOME because our D was pathetic. We lost a good 4 games due to the D that year.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ..and we all watched the 2009 season... you think that was Ben's fault for all those losses? We had to onside kick after scoring AT HOME because our D was pathetic. We lost a good 4 games due to the D that year.
    Not only that, but when you consider that the Steelers' combined margin of defeat in their seven losses in 2009 was 28 points, and the special teams allowed four kickoff return TDs that season, it becomes obvious that the special teams and the fourth-quarter defense combined to sink the Steelers that season. Anybody who blames Ben for that is stupid, especially given that a) the Steelers defense ranked 30th in fourth-quarter points allowed that season (135), and Ben threw exactly zero fourth-quarter INTs that season. (In fact, his only fourth-quarter turnover was a lost fumble against the Dolphins in the last game of the season.)
    Last edited by DBR96A; 08-27-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Not only that, but when you consider that the Steelers' combined margin of defeat in their seven losses in 2009 was 28 points, and the special teams allowed four kickoff return TDs that season, it becomes obvious that the special teams and the fourth-quarter defense combined to sink the Steelers that season. Anybody who blames Ben for that is stupid, especially given that a) the Steelers defense ranked 30th in fourth-quarter points allowed that season (135), and Ben threw exactly zero fourth-quarter INTs that season. (In fact, his only fourth-quarter turnover was a lost fumble against the Dolphins in the last game of the season.)
    Bingo.. I'm very critical of Ben because I'm a Pittsburgh native (it's what we do) but that 2009 season was all on the D. They were horrible....

Wasn't that the year when our DB's (outside of Troy's amazing INT in the first game) had ZERO INT's until the last game of the year?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Bingo.. I'm very critical of Ben because I'm a Pittsburgh native (it's what we do) but that 2009 season was all on the D. They were horrible....

Wasn't that the year when our DB's (outside of Troy's amazing INT in the first game) had ZERO INT's until the last game of the year?
    Yes it was on the "D" and the trend we saw then is continuing to repeat itself.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Absolutely. When men start to lose their jobs for excessive penalties, locker room nonsense, off the field nonsense, turnovers...the sloppy play gets resolved. The fact is this...when players don't fear for their jobs, they get lax. It's human nature. Tomlin has to hold people accountable to the point of cutting certain players for effect, to set a tone. That tone should say, turnovers and knuckled headed penalties wont be tolerated.
    Remember when Tomlin started benchin RB when they fumbled?

And then, they all fumbled in the same game (Cleveland)?

Sometimes, even that doesn't work...

How long did it take for Keenan Lewis to work his way into the lineup after Denver?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

How long did it take for Keenan Lewis to work his way into the lineup after Denver?
    well... at least he didn't yell at them. LOL...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Yet, they are still playing for this team and fighting for a starting spot. Sometimes, a little house cleaning goes a long way in preventing future nonsense.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yet, they are still playing for this team and fighting for a starting spot. Sometimes, a little house cleaning goes a long way in preventing future nonsense.
    Didn't the Steelers draft a RB in the 2nd round?

Sign another RB in free agency?

Trade for yet another just last week?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure Tomlin would love to get rid of a few of these less than stellar RB's but it's hard to do when every RB you pick up ends up hurt.