Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers all-in on Big Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers all-in on Big Ben

PITTSBURGH -- Another public affirmation of the Steelers' commitment to Ben Roethlisberger provided more proof that the team plans to go all-in on its franchise quarterback.

Kevin Colbert's comments Wednesday about the organization needing to do its part to help Roethlisberger dovetail with recent ones the general manager made about the Steelers having to surround Big Ben with as much talent as possible to maximize his remaining years.

And they again point to the Steelers fetching the tall wide receiver Roethlisberger has long coveted or a game-breaking one early in the 2014 NFL draft.

The offense around Roethlisberger is mostly set, but it could use another wide receiver, especially if Emmanuel Sanders, who started opposite Pro Bowler Antonio Brown last season, signs elsewhere as an unrestricted free agent.

A draft class that is deep, in general, looks particularly strong at wide receiver. And the Steelers, picking at No. 15 overall, could have their choice of wide receivers after Clemson's Sammy Watkins -- from rangy ones such as Texas A&M's Mike Evans and Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin -- to smaller but polished ones such as Southern Cal's Marqise Lee.

The Steelers theoretically could help Roethlisberger by taking a left tackle with their first pick. But it's not a glaring need after the way Kelvin Beachum played in 11 starts last season, and the Steelers have invested two first-round picks and two second-round picks since 2010 on their offensive line.

It's time to let new offensive coach Mike Munchak, one of the best hires of the offseason, to get the most out of those players, particularly tackles Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert.

Any number of positions on defense also could be addressed with the first-round pick, and even if the Steelers target a pass-catcher at No. 15, they might find North Carolina's Eric Ebron too tempting to pass on if he is still available.

The NFL scouting combine, which starts Thursday, should provide more clarity for the Steelers. They will get an extended look at the underclassmen as a group and will presumably fill in more blanks as they start to assemble their draft board.

It is too early to tell where the Steelers will find help for Roethlisberger in this draft. But it has become clear that giving him the best chance of succeeding in the coming seasons has become as much of a priority for the Steelers as addressing a defense that is in need of reinforcements.

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/4985/steelers-all-in-on-big-ben[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Im glad they said "tall or a game breaking one" because height is so overrated. Id take a marqise lee at 6-0 over kelvin benjamin at 6-6 all day.

We havent moved up since 05 with holmes.....maybe if sammy falls out of the top 5...<3333

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Height is NOT overated when it comes to Redzone Scoring & in the face of a blitz. The Steelers have struggled in the redzone settling for FGs. It has to do with trajectory of a ball in a short area going over 6'4"+ OL/DL in front of you. The shortest player in the Top 10 receiving TDs is Dez Bryant & he is 6'2".

The Steelers have 1 big receiving threat inside & that's Miller. The compliment to him would be one outside. When the field gets short you see Cover 0 & Cover 1. That safety could only help on direction. Believe it or not...That added piece will help AB in redzone TD catches because he runs a dangerous corner route. You work the Y in combination with the TE in rub routes & the safety sits over the Top of them. Your X is 1 on 1 on the otherside. Many of you know exactly what I am saying because I'm sure you curse at the TV when you see Steelers defenders getting "picked" in the redzone & you wanted a penalty. It's football.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Height is definitely overrated, mostly because most tall wrs are terrible. They few that arent are usually superstars though. Guys like sweed, dwayne jarrett, james hardy, ramses barden come to mind. All of them struggled with getting separation (except sweed oddly enough), struggled with running anything close to a halfway decent route because they run so sloppy and rounded routes.

A lot of WRs that are 6-3 plus also dont score a ton in the RZ, Andre Johnson and Keshawn Johnson for instance are/were always between the 20s guys. Julio Jones almost never scores in the redzone, many many of his TDs are long plays with a ton of YAC

Ben thoughout his career hasnt exactly lit the world on fire in the redzone, him sure having a guy that can jump real high and get the ball would be helpful but id much rather a guy that could do more than that

If benjamin is their guy, thats cool. But if hes just getting 30 catches a year for 8 TDs, the production on the scoreboard is nice but id rather a guy go for 80 catches, 1000 yards, and 5 TDs across from brown. Im really up and down on Benjamin and Evans, its definitely going to be interesting to see them at the combine. I still have a thing for Moncrief, who might be the total package as far as being complete and tall-ish

If a guy is 6-0/6-1 thats plenty tall enough. Average height is still good height

Legend

User Info Menu

You are both right. In most cases height means little. But, when you have a tall WR who can grab a ball at his jumping apex...RZ efficiency goes way up.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Height is definitely overrated, mostly because most tall wrs are terrible. They few that aren't are usually superstars though. Guys like sweed, dwayne jarrett, james hardy, ramses barden come to mind. All of them struggled with getting separation (except sweed oddly enough), struggled with running anything close to a halfway decent route because they run so sloppy and rounded routes.

A lot of WRs that are 6-3 plus also dont score a ton in the RZ, Andre Johnson and Keshawn Johnson for instance are/were always between the 20s guys. Julio Jones almost never scores in the redzone, many many of his TDs are long plays with a ton of YAC

Ben thoughout his career hasnt exactly lit the world on fire in the redzone, him sure having a guy that can jump real high and get the ball would be helpful but id much rather a guy that could do more than that

If benjamin is their guy, thats cool. But if hes just getting 30 catches a year for 8 TDs, the production on the scoreboard is nice but id rather a guy go for 80 catches, 1000 yards, and 5 TDs across from brown. Im really up and down on Benjamin and Evans, its definitely going to be interesting to see them at the combine. I still have a thing for Moncrief, who might be the total package as far as being complete and tall-ish

If a guy is 6-0/6-1 thats plenty tall enough. Average height is still good height

I could build a list of small duds too. Height is 100% legit in creating a mismatch. Height has to be matched with talent...Same as a shrimp with talent..That isn't a revaltion in the NFL. I'm not discounting the 5'10"-6'0" guys...BUT the Steelers have them. You aren't sniffing that part. You also aren't realizing the scheme concept of the other 10 guys on the field. Like I stated...the impact on the others with Miller & another Big Bodied guy on the field. The word "stall" is associated with the Steelers offense when it hits the redzone. Thats when the field is shortened & they have to beat the press. That's when the ball is coming across the middle at a higher trajectory. You need the big body to go up & get it with the large radius and shield. The concern in the redzone fades from over the Top help to physical match-up. That's not opinion..that's football 101.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's all about Ben. Until we find another it should be.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 02-20-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The curse of being a low life moron is what got Rice. Hitting a woman is a place you never go no matter what.
    I agree.. I wonder if the video in the elevator will be erased or destroyed like all the other video's involving NFL players.

I also wonder why this is in a thread about Ben and a big WR...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    If benjamin is their guy, thats cool. But if hes just getting 30 catches a year for 8 TDs, the production on the scoreboard is nice but id rather a guy go for 80 catches, 1000 yards, and 5 TDs across from brown.
    Ebron could be that guy. He is much more of a match up challenge than any of the WRs being discussed
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ebron could be that guy. He is much more of a match up challenge than any of the WRs being discussed
    ebron could bring exactly what I would want this offense to be