Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McClendon is a BEAST except.......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

McClendon is a BEAST except.......

McClendon is a BEAST except against the RUN.
    Perhaps why Fat Casey is still the starter.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

McClendon and Ziggy are both better suited to play a traditional 4-3 DT. You could use these guys on the nose, but they're not going to play it like Casey does.

Fangupo is the guy built to play NT like Casey. Will be interesting to see what our plans our for the kid going into next season. I hope we give him a chance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    McClendon and Ziggy are both better suited to play a traditional 4-3 DT. You could use these guys on the nose, but they're not going to play it like Casey does.

Fangupo is the guy built to play NT like Casey. Will be interesting to see what our plans our for the kid going into next season. I hope we give him a chance.
    OK, who is FANGUPO??? I saw him on the Inactive.
    I'm hoping for T'aumu to turn things around and pan out

Legend

User Info Menu

He's the UDFA Rookie we snaked from Seattle. He played 2 years at USC and then finished up at BYU. We always have success with BYU guys. He's built like Hampton, short and stout. Perfect build for a NT. And BYU coaches have said he was the strongest player they've ever coached. So Hokie played NT for us, and thus Fangupo should be even better since he's more naturally powerful.

He had some injury issues in college. But this kid looks the part. No idea if he'll get a real look/chance. But I think we've liked him all along.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If LeBeau changed his 3-4 to one where the DL attacked rather than read & react (like the Texans & Cowboys) then I could see McClendon being more effective all game...but I don't see that happening.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Texans and Cowboys use one-gap DL...the Steelers, Patriots and Chiefs use two-gap DL...

If you change that, it switches up the responsibilities of the LBs as well...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The Texans and Cowboys use one-gap DL...the Steelers, Patriots and Chiefs use two-gap DL...

If you change that, it switches up the responsibilities of the LBs as well...
    I know...that's why I don't see it happening - in Pittsburgh the LBs are the focus.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    McClendon is a BEAST except against the RUN.
    Perhaps why Fat Casey is still the starter.
    Dude is a NOSE TACKLE.
    Its like saying Barron Batch is a beast except when running the ball

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Dude is a NOSE TACKLE.
    Its like saying Barron Batch is a beast except when running the ball
    not really

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here Cap I will fix this: He is a beast at rushing the passer. I would try him at DE some to see what happens next preseason. Need to keep a nice rotation of Mc-Clean, NT( Fang & Ta'amu),Hood,Heyward, and The Beard for one more year. Keisel played very well for an "old" guy this season.