Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Widen Field?

Legend

User Info Menu

Would You Widen Field?

I heard the NFL is considering making the field 35 feet wider a la the CFL.

What do yinz think?

I say do it. And why stop there? Why not make it 70 or 135 feet wider. Not only will it reduce collisions, but it would incent teams to find smaller and more athletic players which might also help reduce collisions.

Next year we can discuss flags instead of tackling.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that 35 yards to probably too much but I think 20 yards is a great idea. I've been saying this for years for both Football and hockey. The players are so much bigger and faster that the way to limit the congestion and physical contact is to make more space.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think that 35 yards to probably too much but I think 20 yards is a great idea. I've been saying this for years for both Football and hockey. The players are so much bigger and faster that the way to limit the congestion and physical contact is to make more space.
    OR make the field much smaller and players wont have the space to get to full speed for the huge hits

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It was 35 feet or about 12 yards. I was thinking double that (or about the 20 yards you mention) being even better.

I'd love if NHL hockey had more room. I like the extra space behind the net in the international games.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why doesn't the NFL stop changing things

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Why doesn't the NFL stop changing things
    Thank you. I have been having a hard time watching lately. The game is so not what I fell in love with as a boy. Let a great thing be great and leave it alone!!!!

Really sick of the Goodell era.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would favor leaving well enought alone.

All thats going to do is increase scores making it even more difficult to play defense. More ground to cover will wear out defenders by the fourth quarter or sooner, and the days of 250 lb LB's would be over as they couldn't run down a play on a consistent basis.
    Everything they did since the Super Steelers of the seventies was make playing defense almost criminal starting with the Mel Blount rule and now fining a player even when a hit was unavoidable.

Yeah, widen the field and have basketball scores, give me a break.

Defense is a part of playing football, watered down defense will ruin a game we all love, lets not go there. They keep this nonsense up and they can rename the NFL to the AFF....ALL FAKE FOOTBALL!
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-12-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I favor 15 yard penalties and fines for offensive players that lower their heads when the defender is in the imminent contact zone. Take your safety into your wn hands instead of looking to draw penalties.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I would favor leaving well enought alone.

All thats going to do is increase scores making it even more difficult to play defense. More ground to cover will wear out defenders by the fourth quarter or sooner, and the days of 250 lb LB's would be over as they couldn't run down a play on a consistent basis.
    Everything they did since the Super Steelers of the seventies was make playing defense almost criminal starting with the Mel Blount rule and now fining a player even when a hit was unavoidable.

Yeah, widen the field and have basketball scores, give me a break.

Defense is a part of playing football, watered down defense will ruin a game we all love, lets not go there. They keep this nonsense up and they can rename the NFL to the AFF....ALL FAKE FOOTBALL!
    Yep he said it all for me! Thank you sir!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Thank you. I have been having a hard time watching lately. The game is so not what I fell in love with as a boy. Let a great thing be great and leave it alone!!!!

Really sick of the Goodell era.
    I had it when people stopped dying in the Roman Colesseum. We've sissified fighting down to boxing or cage fighting. They have rules and gloves and breaks. C'mon man. Biggest wuss sport on the planet. Before long men will only be allowed to dance fight.