Thread: Free Agency Blahs

Legend

User Info Menu

Free Agency Blahs

One of these years, I'm not going to get excited about FA. I've tempered my expectations being a Steelers fan. But I at least hope for another James Farrior or Ryan Clark each year. But even those types of signings are few and far between.

Instead we just get a Gay and a Spaeth. Beyond boring. And losing a bunch of our own guys is the icing on the cake. Losing Smitty, Ward, and Farrior felt bad, but at least they're old guys. Now we can't even keep our youngsters.

At least the draft is coming up soon. But again, I'm scaling back my expectations. Colbert + Tomlin aren't exactly draft day superstars. Maybe Haley can help them out? And when DL retires we should probably bring in a guy to replace him that has some experience drafting. I still like Mangini as a DC. He brought in some talent to both Cleveland and the Jets. And he's got experience shutting down the Pats offense which is what everyone's trying to be nowadays.

Oh well. Perhaps we can get some divine intervention and fast.

Backup

User Info Menu

You forgot to add David Johnson, we signed him too!

Championship!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post

Championship!
    I'm holding out til they bring back Trai Essex

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Funny you posted this...I thought the same exact thing last week....'why do I ever get excited like we will do something to improve the team with an impact player'....would be better off to not even pay attention and then be surprised when they do make a Clark or Farrior type signing. Hell, give me a Hartings or KVO signing!
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Championship!
    Yeah - like the Steelers brought him in as the missing link.

The Steelers approach to free agency has been the same for YEARS. And yet we've added 2 rings and 4 appearances since the teams of the 70's got us 4.

However, teams like the Redskins, who have been big spenders in free agency haven't won a thing in over 20 YEARS.

It never fails to amaze me that people get any hopes whatsoever about the Steelers making noise in free agency. They just don't do it.

Backup

User Info Menu

It never fails to amaze me that people get any hopes whatsoever about the Steelers making noise in free agency. They just don't do it.
    Well guess what? When 2006-2009 draft classes have only 6 players left, and three were just brought back?

It's time to change your way of thinking.

If we can "tweak" a HOF's career, we can certainly tweak the way free agency affects this team when drafting has become an issue.

Again, adapt or die.

Legend

User Info Menu

Some of you act like the Steelers haven't been doing this successfully for a long time. The Steelers don't engage big money FAs, and we all know that. Why get worked up over it? They have 6 rings saying they know what they are doing. With that said, I am disturbed by a couple trends I have seen recently. First, less guys a in the locker room I feel proud to root for...less leadership...more off the field nonsense...more penalties...more offseason talk etc. I am concerned that the Steelers are moving in a Bengal direction and that bothers me. With that said, I'll panic when/if time proves the Steelers are no longer competitive. Until now, I don't see that. I don't want to hear 8-8 nonsense. We all know the Steelers caught a crazy wave of injuries so just stop.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

They have 6 rings saying they know what they are doing.
    Did they know what they were doing from 1933-1971?

How about 1983-2003?

This team is 80 years old.

If you want to use history? Use ALL of it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well guess what? When 2006-2009 draft classes have only 6 players left, and three were just brought back?
    the bad thing is overall, recent drafts were decent drafts, but, we're losing at too fast a rate...
    Ziggy Hood, Urbrik (starting with buffalo), Wallace, Lewis... first 4 picks in 2009...
    2010 includes Pouncey, Antonio brown, Dwyer, Sanders, Worilds... "solid" draft
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington