Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    What are you talking about? How can you even say that? He says he can't envision a rookie coming in and being an impact, but it has happened in nearly half his drafts over the last 9 years. If I fell down my front steps 4 mornings out of the next 9 I would look pretty moronic to wake up on the 10th morning and say 'I can't envision falling down the stairs this morning'
    Dude... all he is saying is he doesn't draft players hoping/needing them to have an impact the 1st year. If they do have an impact it's a plus but if they aren't up to speed or take a year or 2 to "get it" we aren't up sh#ts creek due to putting all our eggs in the rookie basket.

If Ben was expected to have an impact the 1st year he would have started from day 1. Same with Mendenhall and a few others. In a few RARE cases we had a guy start on day 1... but those cases are few and far between.

Pointing out guys who were forced into starting roles due to injury isn't proof we expected them to have an impact. DeCastro probably wouldn't have beat out Foster if he remained healthy.. he would have probably replaced him later in the season or played due to Gilbert falling on another guy. Again, we didn't draft DeCastro to play on day 1. Fans want us to plug rookies in but the FO uses a different approach.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Dude... all he is saying is he doesn't draft players hoping/needing them to have an impact the 1st year. If they do have an impact it's a plus but if they aren't up to speed or take a year or 2 to "get it" we aren't up sh#ts creek due to putting all our eggs in the rookie basket.

If Ben was expected to have an impact the 1st year he would have started from day 1. Same with Mendenhall and a few others. In a few RARE cases we had a guy start on day 1... but those cases are few and far between.

Pointing out guys who were forced into starting roles due to injury isn't proof we expected them to have an impact. DeCastro probably wouldn't have beat out Foster if he remained healthy.. he would have probably replaced him later in the season or played due to Gilbert falling on another guy. Again, we didn't draft DeCastro to play on day 1. Fans want us to plug rookies in but the FO uses a different approach.
    Completely disagree with your assertion about Decastro. He would have been the starter. Gilbert started most of his rookie year games.

The problem isn't on the offensive side of the ball.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Completely disagree with your assertion about Decastro. He would have been the starter. Gilbert started most of his rookie year games.

Gilbert started as a rookie because of another Colon injury...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Gilbert started as a rookie because of another Colon injury...
    Correct. The point being is he got the chance to play and did very well. My point is that we don't give these guys time to develop by giving them chances to play yet when they do, at least on the offense, they all seem to do well.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Rare = 4 out of 9 years and would of been 5 out of 9 had DeCastro not suffered his injury. Good call. I'm simply commenting on the exact words that came out of the mans mouth while the rest of you decipher what he really meant.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

when did you see decastro elevate himself to the clear starter? I never saw it. In fact he looked pretty lost out there before the injury.

felt is right that he would have earned the job later in the year, but I know the drill on foster with you.

Legend

User Info Menu

Even though the Steelers don't expect their draft picks to start, fans do and will judge accordingly. Who will be this Steelers first round bust (I mean selection)?

Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro struggled early on in camp... and multiple reports had him behind Foster. He didnt impress and looked lost in pass coverage . Gilbert started due to injury, too bad he never finished a game though.... the guy is soft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Rare = 4 out of 9 years and would of been 5 out of 9 had DeCastro not suffered his injury. Good call. I'm simply commenting on the exact words that came out of the mans mouth while the rest of you decipher what he really meant.

No, you arent commenting on his exact words... he never said rookies dont have an impact.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Cobert...If they exceed that and come in and start like a (Maurice) Pouncey did or a Casey Hampton, great. But we've had great players who had to sit and learn. Quite honestly, I would expect this group to be like that. If they exceed that, that's a bonus for us."

Lets just hope we get a bonus or two in this draft especially from our early picks.