Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Harrison might be released by Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

James Harrison might be released by Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers continue to talk with James Harrison's camp, but with no progress being made on a reworked contract, the linebacker's future is hazier than ever.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that chances are growing Harrison will be released by the team unless a deal is worked out by Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET, when the league calendar flips. A source familiar with the negotiations told Bouchette that the Steelers are asking Harrison to take a pay cut, leaving the sides stuck on numbers.

"We absolutely want to do this, we absolutely want to be in Pittsburgh," said Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, who declined further comment.

Parise told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Tuesday that both sides have worked "incredibly hard" on a new deal, but it was unclear at the time if Harrison, 34, was being asked to chop his $6.57 million for 2013. It's apparent the Steelers have no plans to pay him that amount or the $7.6 million he's due next season.

Steelers coaches still want Harrison in the fold, but there's a gap in expectations here. Few teams do a better job than Pittsburgh of locking down its own talent. If they want Harrison around, they'll get this done, but they aren't a team in the habit of overpaying aging players.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000148436/article/report-james-harrison-pittsburgh-steelers-might-part-ways[/url]

Ed Bouchette thread:
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/negotions-between-steelers-harrison-at-impasse-678340/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Keep him!! I shudder to see what our defense will look like without Harrison's playmaking, intimidation factor. He's the only player we have on defense that any opposing, respectable offense would flinch over. If they cut James, can you say "rebuilding". May as well cut Troy too. He's overpaid for what he's been contributing.

Legend

User Info Menu

My take on this.........

Steelers asked him to cut his $6.57M salary to the vet min. Parise countered by saying that they would reduce by $1M to $5.57M..........

Negotiations ongoing, stay tuned, no story yet.

Steelers want Harrison, Harrison wants to remain a Steeler. Parise told him that he can expect a pay cut, but let us try to minimize the size of that cut. Somewhere there is a reasonable middle ground.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    My take on this.........

Steelers asked him to cut his $6.57M salary to the vet min. Parise countered by saying that they would reduce by $1M to $5.57M..........

Steelers want Harrison, Harrison wants to remain a Steeler. Parise told him that he can expect a pay cut, but let us try to minimize the size of that cut. Somewhere there is a reasonable middle ground.
    That's a pretty deep cut. I think I would walk out on that one...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Reading that article doesn't look promissing for James to remain a Steeler, I would hate to see him go but the cost to keep him is just too high.
    We need to be under the cap enough to sign some of our other players and enough to sign our draft picks, this is the price we have to pay for all the restructuring we did in the past.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    My take on this.........

Hopefully, they find that ground.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds so much like what we heard when Porter left...were losing our leadership, our intimidation, etc. What we got was Harrison. Just part of the cycle. Harrison is a shell of his former self. Still good but no way worth the money he is owed. The guy is 35 years old and has two consecutive season of injury issues. Did we learn nothing hoping for three years to to get that "one more season" from Aaron Smith? Harrison will move on and someone will step in his place and the job will get done.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Hopefully, they find that ground.
    My thinking has been for awhile - a $4M cut to $2.57M. That would reduce his cap hit to $6.035M and save us exactly that $4M.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The drafting and personnel decisions over the past 5+ years has been very suspect.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

bring troy in next and make him make a decision