Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Enigmatic Game of Ben Roethlisberger

Legend

User Info Menu

Hey. Im all for drafting D WHEN NEEDED or at a critical position. Fact is the defense was in the top 5 for many years when we drafted hood and heyward # 1.
    they didnt start for 2 (plus) years. Doesn't that show you there that they weren't really needed?? How is that maximizing ur top picks/cAp space?
    In addition to that, they were at positions where our recent history shows we find the guys to play in our system in lower rounds. Do they really need top end talent you find in the first round to 'hold up blockers and take space up" ?

Here's another question for ya flip. Might even give a hint on why our scoring offense is average.

How many teams in the league Are going into the season without top 2 round talent in the skill positions (WR/RB)
    With our 2nd rounder in bell. It at least gives us 1 guy there. I'm guessing that ranks on the lower end of the league.... Just like our scoring

Another quick question. How many other teams have let their #1 type receiver leave for nothing in free Agency or trade them for peanuts? We've done that 3 times in 8 years with plax, Holmes and now Wallace

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    Hey. Im all for drafting D WHEN NEEDED or at a critical position. Fact is the defense was in the top 5 for many years when we drafted hood and heyward # 1.
    they didnt start for 2 (plus) years. Doesn't that show you there that they weren't really needed?? How is that maximizing ur top picks/cAp space?
    In addition to that, they were at positions where our recent history shows we find the guys to play in our system in lower rounds. Do they really need top end talent you find in the first round to 'hold up blockers and take space up" ?

Here's another question for ya flip. Might even give a hint on why our scoring offense is average.

How many teams in the league Are going into the season without top 2 round talent in the skill positions (WR/RB)
    With our 2nd rounder in bell. It at least gives us 1 guy there. I'm guessing that ranks on the lower end of the league.... Just like our scoring

Another quick question. How many other teams have let their #1 type receiver leave for nothing in free Agency or trade them for peanuts? We've done that 3 times in 8 years with plax, Holmes and now Wallace
    I think losing Holmes was the difference in us losing the SuperBowl to GB. We coulda used him on that last drive where Wally looked totally lost on that series.

The skill positions is an interesting question. We seem to draft these positions in rounds 1 and 2, but those players don't seem to pan out for us. Like all the first round WRs that went away. Or Mendy who's now gone. Or guys like Limas or Edwards that never really panned out. The Steelers seem to be doing a decent job of finding WRs in later rounds recently. I'm pulling for Brown to be the big surprise hit in this year's draft class.

Legend

User Info Menu

certainly explains why the cap is always tilted to the defensive side.

not only that but we spoend #1 oicks on D guys to sit for 2 years(on an already top ranked unit) when clearly the offense was in bigger need
    When your offense is young and your defense is old, how is offense clearly the bigger need? Seems like the aging D could use more of an injection of youth to me (with Aaron Smith, James Farrior, James Harrison, and Casey Hampton already gone, and guys like Brett Keisel, Larry Foote, Ryan Clark, Ike Taylor, and Troy Polamalu nearing their expiration dates). On offense, Pouncey has been here the longest among o-linemen. Plax and Cotch aren't spring chickens, but they are merely role players at this stage in their careers, and we already have multiple young bodies like Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Markus Wheaton in place. Other than that, the oldest guys on offense are Ben and Heath, neither of which is nearing retirement.

It's not as if we lean heavily to one side or the other with our top picks anyway. In the Tomlin era, we have alternated offense and defense every year in all 7 drafts. In odd numbered years, we draft defense first (2007 Timmons, 2009 Hood, 2011 Heyward, 2013 Jones) and in even numbered years, we draft offense first (2008 Mendenhall, 2010 Pouncey, 2012 DeCastro).
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 07-11-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

RuTh if the defense was consistently ranked in the bottom 3rd of the league despite a couple of good players on it and the offense was top 5 for hears...I would be saying be saying the same thing

Clearly it's a problem. So fix it until it isn't. The OL was in such shambles over the years, they spent 4 premium picks in 3 years to correct it. (not that I advocate taking so many OL so high)

and I'll say it again. The fact that picks like hood, heyward , worldis Didnt see the field as much as they should showed us we Didnt really need to draft those positions that high.
    Land this isn't some 20/20 hindsight by me. I was questioning it at the time we took them.

This years pick I wanted offense again. But am ok with the pick of JJ cause at least he plays a position on our defense where we Always need a stud (and deebo was just about done). Can't say that about hood/heyward

Legend

User Info Menu

Receivers are replacable,
    Example?
    Your list above, one replaced the other.

Giant lost Plax and what? Easily replaced.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Receivers are replacable,
    Example?
    Your list above, one replaced the other.

Giant lost Plax and what? Easily replaced.
    Actually after the Giants lost Plax they went one-and-done in the playoffs in 2008, then didn't even make the playoffs in 2009 and 2010 until getting back to the super bowl in 2011.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Actually after the Giants lost Plax they went one-and-done in the playoffs in 2008, then didn't even make the playoffs in 2009 and 2010 until getting back to the super bowl in 2011.
    after spending a #1 pick in nicks

the giants for years have taken a wideout early. look how many 2nd rounders the team has used on them in recent history. off the top of my head. randle, smith(1st),nicks, moss. barden and mannigham (3rds). in addition to getting a find like victor cruz. and when theyfnd a good one they seem to keep them around after their 1st contract

Backup

User Info Menu

One reason the Steelers can't keep their talented WRs is because they've been spending too much money on older guys instead of getting their replacements ready, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. This idea that rookies have to be benched for their first few years has recently been hurting the team both on the field and in regards to the cap as they wouldn't move on from some of the older guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    One reason the Steelers can't keep their talented WRs is because they've been spending too much money on older guys instead of getting their replacements ready, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. This idea that rookies have to be benched for their first few years has recently been hurting the team both on the field and in regards to the cap as they wouldn't move on from some of the older guys.
    It's hardly a case of rookies having to be benched. It's more of a case that the coaches want to see the consistency in play before they put a player out on the field. Fact is, most NFL rookies have a hard time with consistency. And it doesn't take too many bad plays from a rookie to destroy all the hard work of 21 other guys in a game. That is why loser teams play who play rookies tend to continue to lose.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's hardly a case of rookies having to be benched. It's more of a case that the coaches want to see the consistency in play before they put a player out on the field. Fact is, most NFL rookies have a hard time with consistency. And it doesn't take too many bad plays from a rookie to destroy all the hard work of 21 other guys in a game. That is why loser teams play who play rookies tend to continue to lose.
    You know it's not just losing teams that start rookies on defense...