Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: There could be a bright spot in all of this....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Well I agree about Kevin Minter. I've been all over him all year but he isnt as complete as T'eo. Not even close. C.J. Mosley is solid but every time I want him I am never "wowed". He never makes that huge splash play or shows any dominance. He does a lot of things good bit nothing great. You can not say that about T'eo.
    I love Te'o later in the first round. Even around pick 18-20, but not as a top 10 pick. Track record is terrible for LB'ers taken that high. There is nothing about him that screams he is the greatest ILB of all time.

Hell even Patrick Willis after having a tremendous college career, blowing up the combine and Senior Bowls went 13th. Te'o is not Patrick Willis explosive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I love Te'o later in the first round. Even around pick 18-20, but not as a top 10 pick. Track record is terrible for LB'ers taken that high. There is nothing about him that screams he is the greatest ILB of all time.

Hell even Patrick Willis after having a tremendous college career, blowing up the combine and Senior Bowls went 13th. Te'o is not Patrick Willis explosive.
    Ok first, your arguments wont ever hold much water if your facts aren't correct. Patrick Willis went 11th overall.

[URL]http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2007[/URL]

I personally think that T'eo matches up very well with Willis' skill set. T'eo is a better man in coverage and they are both very explosive coming forward versus the run. Both are exceptional laterally as well. And they both are very instinctive, smart football players.

As far as your comments about Luke Kuechly is concerned, how can you say he hasnt made an impact? He is on pace to have over 150 tackles in his rookie year. Currently at 10 TFL's which is pretty special since he plays off the line of scrimmage. It isnt his fault the rest of the team is horrible. If they build around him the Panthers will even see more from Kuechly.

Bobby Wagner is not the norm. He is the exception. What he has done does not happen all that often.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ok first, your arguments wont ever hold much water if your facts aren't correct. Patrick Willis went 11th overall.

[URL]http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/years/2007[/URL]

I personally think that T'eo matches up very well with Willis' skill set. T'eo is a better man in coverage and they are both very explosive coming forward versus the run. Both are exceptional laterally as well. And they both are very instinctive, smart football players.

As far as your comments about Luke Kuechly is concerned, how can you say he hasnt made an impact? He is on pace to have over 150 tackles in his rookie year. Currently at 10 TFL's which is pretty special since he plays off the line of scrimmage. It isnt his fault the rest of the team is horrible. If they build around him the Panthers will even see more from Kuechly.

Bobby Wagner is not the norm. He is the exception. What he has done does not happen all that often.
    Willis still was not a top 10 pick. He was a much more explosive prospect than Te'o. Te'o is not Willis. He will not run nearly as well and is not nearly as explosive.

Bowman (3rd) is not the norm either right? Neither is Sean Lee? How about all of the other 2nd rd LB'ers that go onto make the pro bowl?

Kuechly has not helped them win more games this year. The Panthers go how Newton goes. He is a good LB'er. Does not make him worth the 9th overall pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

7 INT's and 11 PD's from the inside linebacker position? Goodness...I'd like to be that "average".

Show me an SEC ILB who is a more complete LB than T'eo. Come on...let's see it. And I am a huge Kevin Minter fan but he isnt even close. Ogletree? No way, he is limited at the point of attack. C.J. Mosely? Negative.

Let's here it felt....please name us the 3 or 4 ILB in the SEC who are better or as complete an ILB as T'eo is.
    I never said ILB.. I said LB. Jones, Mosley, Minter are all as good as T'eo. Don't let the ND broadcasters fool you...

Like Rob said.. the story of T'eo is great and he plays on THE team when it comes to exposure and feel good stories...

I just think he is a little over rated due to the team he is on. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him in the 15 to 18 range but at 10? No way...

Legend

User Info Menu

Willis still was not a top 10 pick. He was a much more explosive prospect than Te'o. Te'o is not Willis. He will not run nearly as well and is not nearly as explosive.

Bowman (3rd) is not the norm either right? Neither is Sean Lee? How about all of the other 2nd rd LB'ers that go onto make the pro bowl?

Kuechly has not helped them win more games this year. The Panthers go how Newton goes. He is a good LB'er. Does not make him worth the 9th overall pick.
    no...I disagree. Kuechly is a machine and the D has improved with him moved to the middle. The D made Matt Ryan look like a baby in 2 games until the D crapped the bed when they had them pinned at the 1 yard line after Newton fumbled away the game on 3rd down.

Kuechly has fumble recoveries and forced fumbles and has 15 to 18 tackles in some games. You can't ignore that... and the Carolina offense was disgusting for a good 3 to 4 games. I live in Charlotte. Trust me, Kuechly is a beast.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

.....Kuechly has not helped them win more games this year. The Panthers go how Newton goes. He is a good LB'er. Does not make him worth the 9th overall pick.
    Are you kidding me? Have you ever heard of a player by the name of Mean Joe Green? He was the number one overall pick by the Steelers. His first year they went 1-13. He eventually had a huge impact on that team. And what did it take? They built around him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Are you kidding me? Have you ever heard of a player by the name of Mean Joe Green? He was the number one overall pick by the Steelers. His first year they went 1-13. He eventually had a huge impact on that team. And what did it take? They built around him.
    Once again, tell me a pure LB'er taken in the top 10 picks that has been an instant game changer recently? Kuechly, he has not been a game changer for them. He is a very good LB'er, but he hasn't changed their fortunes.

A pure LB'er in the top ten is not great value at all. There are much higher impact positions that can change a teams fortune. CB, OT, and/or a pass rusher offers much much better value in the top 10.

Legend

User Info Menu

Once again, tell me a pure LB'er taken in the top 10 picks that has been an instant game changer recently? Kuechly, he has not been a game changer for them. He is a very good LB'er, but he hasn't changed their fortunes.

A pure LB'er in the top ten is not great value at all. There are much higher impact positions that can change a teams fortune. CB, OT, and/or a pass rusher offers much much better value in the top 10.
    I don't think there is a position besides QB that can instantly change a teams fortune. The Panthers also have a 2nd year QB and a HC in his second year. They also over paid the RB's and fired the ST's coach and the GM.

Do you really expect a change of fortune with a CB or OT in Carolina? No way....

However, you can look at the defense that was horrible at the beginning of the year and look at the improvements they made since putting Kuechly at his natural position in the middle.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is flawed thinking because as I pointed out Joe Green didn't immediately change the fortunes of the Steeler but he ultimately had one of the greatest impacts on a team in NFL history.

And I personally think the Steelers are maybe one player away on the D-side of the ball from being dominate again. And when you can add that it is worth it.

No CB in this draft would have the impact that T'eo would have on the Steelers. And since they already have 3 OLB (Harrison, Woodley, Worilds), I think that a pass rushers isnt as important right now. And besides as I have already said, picking 10-15 there isnt one this year who I think would have a greater impact than T'eo. Those whoa re going to be there (Mingo, Montgomery, Jordon, etc.), are all having down years. That's a no for me.

What type of impact did Junior Seau have on the Chargers? Brian Urlacher on the Bears? I think T'eo is going to have the same type.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I don't think there is a position besides QB that can instantly change a teams fortune. The Panthers also have a 2nd year QB and a HC in his second year. They also over paid the RB's and fired the ST's coach and the GM.

Do you really expect a change of fortune with a CB or OT in Carolina? No way....

However, you can look at the defense that was horrible at the beginning of the year and look at the improvements they made since putting Kuechly at his natural position in the middle.
    Are you telling me a top OT talent wouldn't change the Steelers offensive performance big time? Having another top CB would have certainly helped us to beat the Cowboys.

Have you seen our pass rush this year? The Panthers are winning simply because Newton is back to performing like Superman.