Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Colbert

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Take that, but then add Bettis, Farrior, Hartings, KVO, A. Smith, and then look at things such as games played per season, per starter.
    and that's how you win Super Bowls, and end up in this situation where you are transitioning from a decade long highly successful, championship team, to one that is more youthful and ready to make their own run. It sucks that it has to be like this, but you can't avoid it. It's the price of extended success.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Amen!! Coach T is one of the things that makes me more confident in this team. The Steelers FO did the right thing when they signed him instead of Grimm or Whiz. He's a creative guy and I'm fairly confident he'll right the ship.

i think people are forgetting how he takes marginal players and develops them into studs, how he always has the team prepared, gameplanning for each and every team and exploiting their weaknesses, his great in game adjustments and his use of challenges and clock management. the team plays their hearts out for him. the way he has come in and added his expertise to the 3-4 defense is spectacular. i also like the way he chooses not to be distracted with the hiring or firing of his staff. he tells the rooneys to make that decision for him because he doesnt have time for that stuff. he is more valuable using the off season to evaluate the college kids so his drafts are fantastic.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Go back and look at the drafts before Tomlin...the success rate isn't much different.

you have 22 starters on each team, spread out over a career length of maybe 10 years or so. That's about 2 starters per draft (including UDFA), plus some free agents.

I don't think the team has really been that far off the mark lately drafting, outside of probably 2008.

Tomlin's starters/rotational backups (ignoring ST players):

2007: Timmons, Woodley, Gay
    2008: Mendenhall, Mundy
    2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, Johnson
    2010: Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Dwyer, Brown
    2011: Heyward, Gilbert, Allen
    2012: Decastro, Adams, Beachum

Cowher's since 2000:

2000: Burress, M. Smith, Haggans
    2001: Hampton, Bell,
    2002: Simmons, Randle El, Hope, Foote, Haynes, Keisel
    2003: Polamalu, Taylor
    2004: Roethlisberger, Starks
    2005: Miller, McFadden, Essex, Kemoeatu
    2006: Holmes, Colon

Look, one season going 8-8 doesn't mean these current players are garbage, as hard as that seems to be for some people to realize right now.

Did you really look at the list you provided? You have Mundy, Gilbert, and Beachum? Cowher has 2 HOF players in Ben and Troy and Hampton is one of the best NT to play in the 3-4. Not sure what your list is based on because half of Tomlin's list isn't even starters. Ben, Starks, Miller, Hampton, Troy, Taylor, Keisel were all the reason Tomlin won his only SB. I don't see the similar drafting history at all. There isn't one player on Tomlin's list that is one of the best at his position. Cowher has at least 3. Just to see how bad the 08 and 09 drafts were, there is only one player left from either of them. Even if the Steelers wanted Wallace that's one player that starts out of 2 drafts. They clearly didn't want Mendy back. When I look at the last few drafts I see average players. Players like Hood, Worilds, Gilbert, Mundy, Beachum, Gay, Johnson etc.. are average (at best) players. They aren't in the same league as Ben, Starks, Troy, Hampton, Holmes, Miller, and Burress.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

and that's how you win Super Bowls, and end up in this situation where you are transitioning from a decade long highly successful, championship team, to one that is more youthful and ready to make their own run. It sucks that it has to be like this, but you can't avoid it. It's the price of extended success.
    Personally I address other positions than RB, DE x 2, in round 1.

Matt Forte
    Ray Rice
    Kevin Smith
    Jamaal Charles
    Steve Slaton
    Tashard Choice
    Ryan Torain
    Tim Hightower

All 2008 drafted RB's taken after the first round.
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

Go back and look at the drafts before Tomlin...the success rate isn't much different.

you have 22 starters on each team, spread out over a career length of maybe 10 years or so. That's about 2 starters per draft (including UDFA), plus some free agents.

I don't think the team has really been that far off the mark lately drafting, outside of probably 2008.

Tomlin's starters/rotational backups (ignoring ST players):

2007: Timmons, Woodley, Gay
    2008: Mendenhall, Mundy
    2009: Hood, Wallace, Lewis, Johnson
    2010: Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders, Dwyer, Brown
    2011: Heyward, Gilbert, Allen
    2012: Decastro, Adams, Beachum

Cowher's since 2000:

2000: Burress, M. Smith, Haggans
    2001: Hampton, Bell,
    2002: Simmons, Randle El, Hope, Foote, Haynes, Keisel
    2003: Polamalu, Taylor
    2004: Roethlisberger, Starks
    2005: Miller, McFadden, Essex, Kemoeatu
    2006: Holmes, Colon

Draft success to find starters hasn't really changed. A salary cap that went stagnant, combined with recent Super Bowl teams and the allure that comes with hanging on to players who have performed their jobs to the highest level, has left this team in a bad salary cap spot. This has led to players leaving for big dollars elsewhere. Having a franchise QB also plays into that, as they command a much larger chunk of your cap than average QBs do.

Look, one season going 8-8 doesn't mean these current players are garbage, as hard as that seems to be for some people to realize right now.
    The big difference isn't the quantity, it's the quality.

There are more than a few pro-bowlers in Cowher's group, and I don't see any in Tomlin's group. That's the difference. Some of these draft picks are starting in years 2-4 not because they are good. It's because we have been credit-card spending, up against the cap team and they HAVE to start. And the fact we've been an older team and have had a lot of injuries.

We've found bodies in the draft. Guys that take up roster spots. I think we have failed at finding Steeler-type difference makers that will contribute into their 2nd contracts with us.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    The big difference isn't the quantity, it's the quality.

There are more than a few pro-bowlers in Cowher's group, and I don't see any in Tomlin's group. That's the difference. Some of these draft picks are starting in years 2-4 not because they are good. It's because we have been credit-card spending, up against the cap team and they HAVE to start. And the fact we've been an older team and have had a lot of injuries.

We've found bodies in the draft. Guys that take up roster spots. I think we have failed at finding Steeler-type difference makers that will contribute into their 2nd contracts with us.

You don't see any in Tomlins group??? Woodley, Brown, Wallace, Pouncey.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    You don't see any in Tomlins group??? Woodley, Brown, Wallace, Pouncey.
    Timmons should have been a Pro-Bowler too. Just sayin....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Everyone is leaving Aaron Smith off their lists. Also, under Cowher we had some HUGE free agent signings (KVO, Farrier, Hartings, Clark) that were not super expensive plus the trade for Bettis. Plus Cowher hit on lots of UDFA.

Tomlin has brought us a bunch of ex Steelers we have had to bring back as his free agent pick ups & Cotchery.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis too

Rookie

User Info Menu

Brown was also a pro bowler...

And Harrison became a pro bowler under Tomlin...he was a backup under Cowher...