Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus ranks Steelers O-line 25th

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But has it worked? Good intentions don't block the pass rushers or open holes in the defensive line. Until we see any of those players drafted excel as far as I'm concerned the problem isn't fixed. You have to look at this on how it is actually working not what past actions you took to fix it.
    Gilbert and Adams only combined for something like 10 games this year. I would like to see Starks retained so that there is depth and competition at OT, but I supsect that the two second round OTs will open the season as starters. DeCastro also missed most of the year and was just getting his feet wet; I think we all anticipate improvement from him next year. Whether Foster, Colon or whoever else, you can get by with an adequate guard if the rest of the o-line is capable.

I'd most certainly rather not see Beachum or Legursky starting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Gilbert and Adams only combined for something like 10 games this year. I would like to see Starks retained so that there is depth and competition at OT, but I supsect that the two second round OTs will open the season as starters. DeCastro also missed most of the year and was just getting his feet wet; I think we all anticipate improvement from him next year. Whether Foster, Colon or whoever else, you can get by with an adequate guard if the rest of the o-line is capable.

I'd most certainly rather not see Beachum or Legursky starting.
    my point exactly. We can't keep throwing 1st round picks at one section of your football team.

these guys have to step up and produce.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Yeah what year was that? Ike had sub par years in 2006 and 2009. They ranked him pretty highly this year along with Keenan Lewis. This was accurate as both has great years.

What's your point? They do a great job charting plays and players. This is invaluable in many regards.
    That would probably be the year he left Oakland.[2010] He was a big item on the FA market that year.

My point is that a number of stats go into the final ranking of a player. How they are weighted is arguable. I thought Ike was penalized for being targeted a bushel of times. Meanwhile NA was only thrown at 28 times that year and 75% of those passes were completed. It did not seem to concern them they seemed interested in the few times he was targeted. Also Ike had a lower YAC than NA that year. This to me indicated Ike just might be a better tackler. It did not phase them one bit etc. etc. Unfortunately, I think they are now a pay site so I don't go there anymore and cannot check the numbers.

I don't usually dig deep into stats much, but that year I got PO'd because thread after thread was going on and of course all wanted TS to get NA. Fine he is a good player no doubt but when someone offered that years #1, the following years #2 etc and then threw Ike in for good measure that was the last straw.

My point is and maybe you will agree , some stats can be more revealing than others. For example. Team A rushes 500 times for 1800 yards. Team B rushes 300 times for 1500 yards. Which team has done a better job?

They do a great job charting plays and players. This is invaluable in many regards. Absolutely. But then it up to the evaluator.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I wonder if there in the 1st rd a LT is needed to replace Starks. More Gilbert to OG. Leave Adams at RT. Legs seems fine at back up center. Beachum can back up LT/RT maybe guard also. Did the Steelers take Gilbert as a T or G?
    They originally drafted him to be the heir apparent to Starks. LT.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    That would probably be the year he left Oakland.[2010] He was a big item on the FA market that year.

My point is that a number of stats go into the final ranking of a player. How they are weighted is arguable. I thought Ike was penalized for being targeted a bushel of times. Meanwhile NA was only thrown at 28 times that year and 75% of those passes were completed. It did not seem to concern them they seemed interested in the few times he was targeted. Also Ike had a lower YAC than NA that year. This to me indicated Ike just might be a better tackler. It did not phase them one bit etc. etc. Unfortunately, I think they are now a pay site so I don't go there anymore and cannot check the numbers.

I don't usually dig deep into stats much, but that year I got PO'd because thread after thread was going on and of course all wanted TS to get NA. Fine he is a good player no doubt but when someone offered that years #1, the following years #2 etc and then threw Ike in for good measure that was the last straw.

My point is and maybe you will agree , some stats can be more revealing than others. For example. Team A rushes 500 times for 1800 yards. Team B rushes 300 times for 1500 yards. Which team has done a better job?

They do a great job charting plays and players. This is invaluable in many regards. Absolutely. But then it up to the evaluator.
    I agree its harder to apply it to a position like corner, but I think it is better applied to o-line and d-line.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The 'premium pick' statement is bogus. Scott Sheilds, Alonzo Jackson, Ricardo Colclough, Limas Sweed....all 'premium picks'. If simply picking a player at a certain draft position made them capable of being good we would be all set. Willie Reid would be taking returns to the house and we never would of signed Clark cause Anthony Smith would be lighting people up.

We have drafted poorly and now need to rectify and solidify our mistakes.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 01-28-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

its not bogus at all, actually.

the guys you list certainly didnt turn out to be premium "players", i grant you that, but they were all premium "picks" (1-2) you expect a greater return from your early draft picks. i dont see how anyone can argue that.

lets give the young guys we have some time to develop. and i agree that the QB can help them out a little as well by playing smart football.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    They originally drafted him to be the heir apparent to Starks. LT.
    I was joking about the T or G question because we keep hearing the Steelers like position flexibility. And Gilbert has played G in college. Maybe he is better at G then T like Colon. But did we see enough of Colon at G to say he was better then at RT?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    its not bogus at all, actually.

the guys you list certainly didnt turn out to be premium "players", i grant you that, but they were all premium "picks" (1-2) you expect a greater return from your early draft picks. i dont see how anyone can argue that.

lets give the young guys we have some time to develop. and i agree that the QB can help them out a little as well by playing smart football.
    Actually, it absolutely is bogus. Draft position pretty much only guarantees the player gets more money initially. If I spend 5k on a Huffy at the flea market does that mean I should race it when I could upgrade at the next flea market?

We have one OT that got so blown up that he ruined the seasons of multiple other OL, another we were hoping could put the bong down and ended up missing the last portion of the season, another that was a 7th round pick but may start at LG.....but we shouldn't consider a premium pick on the OL? Ludacris.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 01-28-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

OL is definitely a need...but I believe that, according to PFF, we have an even bigger need...I believe they have our pass rush rated dead LAST in the NFL.