Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Worst CUT in Steelers History?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    John Jackson was damn solid. One of my all time fave players!
    He was one of the best free agents that we ever lost. He was a 10th round pick who made the Pro Bowl. At the time he was a Steeler we had a damn good OL. I wish we'd attain that level of OL again. It would sure be nice.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Thomas Everett was a very good S for the Cowboys. He won 2 Super Bowls and went to 1 pro bowl with them, although I think we traded him away.
    Brentson Buckner was a solid DE for us and went on to win a Super Bowl with Carolina. Cowher traded him away due to personality conflicts.
    Jeff Graham struggled as a receiver here but went on to be a Pro Bowl receiver with the Bears.
    Jeff Zgonina, NT, barely saw the field in Pittsburgh, but played for 17 seasons in the league and won a Super Bowl with the Rams.
    Jon Kuhn, FB, won a Super Bowl with the Packers and was a Pro Bowl FB in 2012.
    Chris Hope, S, went to the Pro Bowl with the Titans
    Oronde Gadsden, WR, put up very good numbers with the Dolphins after Cowher cut him.
    WRs Chris Calloway and Leslie Shepherd went on to be reasonably productive receivers with their respective teams.
    Willie Williams, CB, was a solid starting CB for several years in Seattle.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would echo Jeff Zgonina, that was a surprising cut but the worst cut may have been Dwaine Board. 5th rounder in 1979. Never made the team for the Steelers but played in SF for 9 seasons productively and had 45 career sacks. Terrible cut.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I would echo Jeff Zgonina, that was a surprising cut but the worst cut may have been Dwaine Board. 5th rounder in 1979. Never made the team for the Steelers but played in SF for 9 seasons productively and had 45 career sacks. Terrible cut.
    I think this was one cut that Chuck Noll admitted he made a mistake. He kept a declining player in L.C. Greenwood over Dwaine Board.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thomas Everett was a very good S for the Cowboys. He won 2 Super Bowls and went to 1 pro bowl with them, although I think we traded him away.
    I don't think we traded him; I think he was a FA. He was decent, for sure. Pretty big hitter.

Brentson Buckner was a solid DE for us and went on to win a Super Bowl with Carolina. Cowher traded him away due to personality conflicts.
    I don't think it was a trade.

Jeff Graham struggled as a receiver here but went on to be a Pro Bowl receiver with the Bears.
    Only two catches as a rookie, but then went on to have 49 and 38 grabs the next two years. Not a total flop but a little less than you would like for a high 2nd round pick. Then had his best two seasons with the Bears with 68 and 82 grabs before leaving for The Jets, Philly and then SD. Had a decent 10 year career. Not a huge loss for Pgh but he certainly was decent.

Jeff Zgonina, NT, barely saw the field in Pittsburgh, but played for 17 seasons in the league and won a Super Bowl with the Rams.
    Maybe because he wasn't quite a fit in a 3-4 DL. I think he played in a 4-3 with the Rams.

I think letting him go was a mistake; could have been modern day Hoge.
    He was good and got a pretty huge deal from TN. Played there for years. He actually played for ATL this year.

Oronde Gadsden, WR, put up very good numbers with the Dolphins after Cowher cut him.
    He did, for sure. I didn't know he was ever a Steeler; I don't think he was drafted.
    WRs Chris Calloway and Leslie Shepherd went on to be reasonably productive receivers with their respective teams.
    Calloway was a Giant if I recall.
    Willie was decent, but not ideal. Kind of small, but not horrible.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Remember Paul Skansi from the Steelers that went to Seattle ? He had a decent career and wow, you guys have mentioned some names I haven't heard in years. If you put the guys they allowed to go and made a team out of them, they probably would have won a championship.
    There was a center also that went t Robert Morris and Cowher kept Okobi over him. The center had several years with the Eagles while we struggled with guys like Hartwig, Okobi.

I didn't mind Yancey Thigpen leaving the team. He was the original glass house.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Brenston Buckner won a Super Bowl with Carolina ? I thought Carolina lost that game or did they play the Patriots and get cheated out of their win ?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How about worst FA signing?

Off the top of my head Center Sean Mahan. We got him from Tampa Bay, if i remember correctly he struggled in every game, so the Steelers traded him back to Tampa Bay the very next season He stunk.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm going to throw a name out that I never knew. Brent Jones was drafted by the Steelers in 1986 in the 5th round. We evidently cut him and he went on to have a great career for the 49ers ... the TE was selected to 4 Pro Bowls.
    Very good player, I forgot about him. Big mistake letting him go.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bat1816 View Post
    Great list and welcome to the board. Couple names I never would have thought of. Zgonina in particular...