Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets Narrow it Down To Position To Get an Idea Who We Draft in Round One

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't think that is the case for taking a TE. If we get Eifert or Ertz we will have a TE whose skillset is really unique to what we have gotten in the past. As good as Heath is he can't stretch the field with the size they possess. Perfect for how the NFL is evolving
    Although OLB seems to be a popular position, TE is a position we could use right now with the situation with Heath. Paulson is just a stop gap, we need the replacement for Heath if the right TE is availabe. I have TE going in the second round and hope Eifert is there to take.

We have a hole to fill with Wallace leaving, so WR is another position we need to draft but I would only take one of the best in the draft if he fell otherwise get one with a later pick.
    RB,QB,ILB are positions I wouldn't take, everything else is up in the air, we can find a good prospect at those positions later I believe.

When I think of this draft I keep thinking about Warmack. If he fell to us I take him without a second thought, he will be the second coming of Pouncey, who ever gets him can pencil him in as a starter that will dominate that position.
    There is no player IMO in that draft that is better than Warmack, outside of him who could start for our team AND [ Dominate.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-21-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Although OLB seems to be a popular position, TE is a position we could use right now with the situation with Heath. Paulson is just a stop gap, we need the replacement for Heath if the right TE is availabe. I have TE going in the second round and hope Eifert is there to take.

We have a hole to fill with Wallace leaving, so WR is another position we need to draft but I would only take one of the best in the draft if he fell otherwise get one with a later pick.
    RB,QB,ILB are positions I wouldn't take, everything else is up in the air, we can find a good prospect at those positions later I believe.

When I think of this draft I keep thinking about Warmack. If he fell to us I take him without a second thought, he will be the second coming of Pouncey, who ever gets him can pencil him in as a starter that will dominate that position.
    There is no player IMO in that draft that is better than Warmack, outside of him who could start for our team and [COLOR="#FFFF00"]dominate?[/COLOR]
    Does it matter if the person catching 60 passes is a TE or WR? It is still 60 catches.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

According to Mike Mayock who I believe is as smart a talent evaluator as there is when it comes to college players and drafting them. He has stated that from picks 1.11 down through 1.25 the players that will be picked could be the 1.11 or the 1.25 they are that close in talent, measurables and performance.

So, it seems that getting out of that position at 1.17 would be the ideal scenario, but finding a willing partner is always a different story. That being said, I'll go on the assumption the Steelers will as usual let the draft unfold and then make their pick at 1.17.

What I see happening:

Restructure and extend - Ben
    Restructure: Timmons, Woodley, Polamalu and Brown
    Release: Harrison, Hampton, Colon
    Unable to sign: Mendenhall, Wallace, Starks and Lewis
    Sign: Foote

I think they'll roll with Worilds and draft depth later in the draft at OLB
    NT will be McClendon or Ta'mu
    Keisel, Hood and Heyward man the DE positions

If a game changing WR is available at 1.17 that is who I believe they will take, if not, I think ILB will be the choice without any known commodity behind Foote and he'll probably sign for 1 year.
    If there was a running back rated as a first round pick I could see that, but it seems that the backs this year are getting round 2 grades

I fear 2013 is going to be even more frustrating than 2012.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Does it matter if the person catching 60 passes is a TE or WR? It is still 60 catches.
    No, now lets get that TE AND Receiver

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

2. DE We are still waiting for Heyward to emerge as a solid DE to take the place of Keisel but so far he couldn't win out in competition for that spot. If we would somehow release Keisel then their could be a need at that position, but I think based on a solid year he had Keisel stays and DE isn't a priority.
    Couldn't beat him out, or we have a DC who lives to keep his old guys on the field, in a total over-the-top manner? DL hates putting any player on the field unless they have been here for 5+ years. It's sickening.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Couldn't beat him out, or we have a DC who lives to keep his old guys on the field, in a total over-the-top manner? DL hates putting any player on the field unless they have been here for 5+ years. It's sickening.
    The defensive players have an opportunity to showcase their talent in practice and when they get snaps in games. Until Heyward takes advantage of those opportunities he'll be second on the depth chart behind Keisel. So far he hasn't , but that could change if he steps up.
    Btw, Lebeau is the best in the game, just look at his record!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    According to Mike Mayock who I believe is as smart a talent evaluator as there is when it comes to college players and drafting them. He has stated that from picks 1.11 down through 1.25 the players that will be picked could be the 1.11 or the 1.25 they are that close in talent, measurables and performance.

So, it seems that getting out of that position at 1.17 would be the ideal scenario, but finding a willing partner is always a different story. That being said, I'll go on the assumption the Steelers will as usual let the draft unfold and then make their pick at 1.17.

What I see happening:

Restructure and extend - Ben
    Restructure: Timmons, Woodley, Polamalu and Brown
    Release: Harrison, Hampton, Colon
    Unable to sign: Mendenhall, Wallace, Starks and Lewis
    Sign: Foote

I think they'll roll with Worilds and draft depth later in the draft at OLB
    NT will be McClendon or Ta'mu
    Keisel, Hood and Heyward man the DE positions

If a game changing WR is available at 1.17 that is who I believe they will take, if not, I think ILB will be the choice without any known commodity behind Foote and he'll probably sign for 1 year.
    If there was a running back rated as a first round pick I could see that, but it seems that the backs this year are getting round 2 grades

I fear 2013 is going to be even more frustrating than 2012.

Pappy
    I heard the same thing. He said draft is deep but after the Top 5-7 picks nothing really separates any of the other potential 1St Round picks. Never understood why people get so wrapped around a handle about subjective player rankings that change depending on who does them. They are meaningless as long as they are in the same round and the pick should be who helps you team the most near and long term.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

We'll take the best player available at #17, and because there appears to be a wealth of potential 3-4 OLB prospects available at the top of the draft (Damontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, Ezekiel Ansah, Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, Alex Okafor, and Sam Montgomery could all end up with first round grades), that would be my early guess. Moore and Werner will likely be long gone, but if Jones, Ansah, Jordan, or Mingo were available, they are possibilities (I would personally be all over Jarvis Jones or Ziggy Ansah if they fell to us...two very different body styles, but very intriguing prospects nonetheless).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is a premature conversation. We need to know who the Steelers intend to keep and who they do not. My leaning is towards a NT or an OLB with the #1 based on the talent that will likely land at 17. But, that could all change if the Steelers sign Harrison, or cut Troy. We just don't know where any of that is going to land.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This is a premature conversation. We need to know who the Steelers intend to keep and who they do not. My leaning is towards a NT or an OLB with the #1 based on the talent that will likely land at 17. But, that could all change if the Steelers sign Harrison, or cut Troy. We just don't know where any of that is going to land.
    I'm with you on this one. We keep hearing about this massive bloodletting and how we'll lose this guy or that. The fact is, until it happens it's all just speculation. What actually happens will have a profound effect on what the team does. Maybe they'll just go BPA as usual again?