Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets Narrow it Down To Position To Get an Idea Who We Draft in Round One

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lets Narrow it Down To Position To Get an Idea Who We Draft in Round One

Forget the players name, which position will we make our selection in round one of the 2013 NFL draft?

1. NT With 3 NT's on the roster plus the possibility that Hood could play there I would lean on the no side unless we don't sign Mcclendon.

2. DE We are still waiting for Heyward to emerge as a solid DE to take the place of Keisel but so far he couldn't win out in competition for that spot. If we would somehow release Keisel then their could be a need at that position, but I think based on a solid year he had Keisel stays and DE isn't a priority.

3. ILB Currently we are stable at ILB with Foote provided they sign him to a contract, I'm thinking they get a deal done and he stays. With the uncertainty with spence, and Sylvester the Steelers will use a pick on ILB but I don't believe in round one.

4. OLB This position seems to be a favorite among Steeler fans, especially if James Harrison can't be signed. We have Worlids to take over but is he good enough to be an all around OLB? From what I seen his strong point is rushing the passer which we do need, but he lacks in run stopping and dropping into pass coverage. Losing Harrison would probably make OLB a strong possibility in round one.

5. CB What happens here depends on if we sign Lewis. If we can't sign Lewis we would still be ok with Cortez and Taylor but would need a replacement for Ike in the near future. CB suddenly moves up with OLB if we fail to sign Lewis.

6. Safety We don't need a safety now, but this position is another strong possibility considering the age of Clark and Polamalu, this draft seems to have good talent at that position even in the later rounds so I would
    say we will pick Safety just not in round one.

7. TE Personally I wouldn't have a problem at all picking a TE in round one IF we can get one of the best in the draft, we need all the help we can get on offense so I think this position could be a possibility round one. Heath is doing rehab, and we don't know how long it will take for him to recover plus his age. I might go out on a limb and say TE is a strong possibility in round one.

8. WR Again, we need help on the offense and with Wallace leaving we'll need another strong receiver to replace him. I think we'll be fine with Sanders and Brown but still need that third threat that could stretch the field and even compete for a two spot. As much as we need one I think we can get a solid WR after the first round.

9.RB We certainly need a RB, but is there a RB that is worthy of a first round pick? I would say no. Lacy seems to jump out but there are other backs that could be just as productive. Remember Lacy played on a team with maybe the best O-line in the counrty and as we seen the best team.

10. O-line As we discussed here most likely the Steeler won't pick O-line round one, but it sure would be tempting if Warmack was there when we pick. He is considered the best guard in the draft, but some say the BPA in the entire draft thats how good he is. A projected starter day one on any team that drafts him. I would love to have him but I think the Steelers pick another position in round one.

11. QB With Lefty leaving we'll need another QB. This draft isn't very good with QB's, most of them are backup's and thats all we need but a big no to QB in round one.

In conclusion, I'm going to guess we take either OLB or TE in round one, but leaning more to OLB. Now if we lose Lewis I bring CB up there too.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I can't agree...It all depends upon how the draft unfolds...hopefully, won't draft a TE or OLB in round one simply for the sake of drafting one...now, if there are players who are legitimately worthy of a #17 pick that fall into either of those positions (OLB being more likely) I'm all for it...I just hope that they don't overdraft to fill a position...this is not something that the Steelers historically do (since Colbert came aboard...Troy Edwards was an obvious reach in 1999)...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes it does depend on who is worthy and who might be available, we certainly don't want to reach for any position. It also depends on who we sign of our own.
    Just for the entertainment of it, lets see how good we are in picking the correct position, pick one and Vote!

In the first round of the 2013 NFL draft if I have to pick one, the STEELERS select OLB.

bTW, If available my preference would be Chance Warmack as I think he is the best player in the draft, but we know the Steelers won't draft another O-lineman right?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm open to whoever the best player is outside of QB, C, or DE. I'd lean toward getting the defender that can help us best pressure the QB if there's a tie. And that could mean a NT, S, CB. I'm not tied into any one position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think a lot depends on what will be the roster.

I like O-line, WR and Safety depth in this draft.

If you ask me only LB i am willing to take is Jarvis Jones. I am not a fan of drafting another LB in Rd 1 especially ILB. They already have invested heavily in LB corp.Dick Lebeau does not trust Timmons to be a signal caller on D and i don't expect a rookie to take over Foote position. No point drafting a player who will take 3 years to start. So i am going to say Steelers will re-sign Foote or sign someone like Grant from 49ers.

If Harrison is cut then Steelers role with Fat Woodley-Timmons-Foote (if re-signed) - Worlids ...get another draft pick in 3rd-4th RD to play back-up position.

Steelers need help on Offensive end. Wallace is gone and they don't have a RB. With Miller injury he may not start next season. They need a WR or two in draft and hopefully a true no.1 at WR. AB84 is a career No.2.

My pick at 17 will be either Jarvis Jones or WR. Opponents will never respect the Offense if Steelers roll with AB84-Sanders and Cotchery at WR position.

Sign a FA RB and draft someone like Ware in late rounds. Regarding TE well i think a first Rd TE is a waste since Steelers don't use their TE like Pats. Get a 3rd-4th Rd TE.

3 picks on Offense and 4+complimentary picks(if any) on Defense.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Reckon it'll be Defense.

Reckon it'll be a position that doesn't require immediate starting ability.

Reckon it'll be a position with an older guy in place that needs replacing in a year or two.

Reckon there isn't a Round 1 Safety worthy of selecting at #17.

Reckon it'll be CB.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I can't agree...It all depends upon how the draft unfolds...hopefully, won't draft a TE or OLB in round one simply for the sake of drafting one...now, if there are players who are legitimately worthy of a #17 pick that fall into either of those positions (OLB being more likely) I'm all for it...I just hope that they don't overdraft to fill a position...this is not something that the Steelers historically do (since Colbert came aboard...Troy Edwards was an obvious reach in 1999)...
    I don't think that is the case for taking a TE. If we get Eifert or Ertz we will have a TE whose skillset is really unique to what we have gotten in the past. As good as Heath is he can't stretch the field with the size they possess. Perfect for how the NFL is evolving
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would love to get eifert or ertz, but only in a trade down scenario. Don't think either is worth the 17th.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm down for getting a TE, but it seems to be the Defense's turn so LB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

DL-NO.

I thought OLB @ #17 for a long time with Harrison being cut. After diving in, Moore would be the only one. Jones's medical would have me pass on him. Everyone else will be a conversion project. To be honest, with the value of 4-3 DEs, 4-3 teams will snatch them up. Werner, Mingo, & Ansah look too good with their hand in the dirt for any 3-4 team to spend a Top 20 pick on one of them and hope to convert them.

ILB-Don't want any at #17. If they sign Foote before the draft, I don't want any inside the first three rounds.

S-Vaccaro's combine will create some buzz for him. Has a little playmaking ability in him. What I did see alot of is missed tackles and poor effort or inabilty to get off blocks in space to make a tackle. I personally only think he is a FS and wouldn't take him at #17. I prefer Cyprien in round 2 or Swearinger 2-3.

CB-If Lewis is signed..No. If Lewis isn't signed...Possibly. Just don't know if anyone besides Milliner is worthy that high. We will see how Rhodes works out.

OL- Hard to say anything but "No" with the recent drafts. If a Warmack or Fisher fall...It would be tempting. One of the few position picks in the 1st that could contribute early.

TE-No. I don't like any as 1st round picks.

RB-No. I don't like any as 1st round picks.

QB-No.

WR- With Wallace leaving...If Patterson is there, He would be my pick. May be the position that will pay the biggest dividends after what will happen in FA. You get your returner and future X. Immediately the #3 and push Sanders for starting time.

So for me, it is OLB (Moore), WR (Patterson), CB (If Lewis leaves), & OL (If stuck at #17 - Warmack & Fisher considered if there).
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-21-2013 at 11:48 AM.