Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pouncey's Worth - You're the GM

Legend

User Info Menu

We struggled in short yardage waaaay before Pouncey.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We struggled in short yardage waaaay before Pouncey.
    But he hasn't helped no mattewr who was on either side of him. IMO if he was a Top 3 Center in the NFL he would have proven the ability to move the big guys on the other side of the line.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    For the talk about his agility and athleticism, I think that this is countered by his lack of strength. He can pull and get out in front to the second level, but he also gets trucked way too often. In a division where 38% of your games have you matching up with Haloti Ngata, Phil Taylor, and Geno Atkins, that is not a great shortcoming to have.
    ^^^^^ This.... and strength is probably one of the easiest things to fix and he hasn't showed the slightest improvement in this regard.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    ^^^^^ This.... and strength is probably one of the easiest things to fix and he hasn't showed the slightest improvement in this regard.
    I don't think I'd hold it against him that he doesn't win every 1-on-1 match up with three of the top DTs in the game today. He can work on strength and I'm relatively certain that he is, he's given no indication of being a slacker. The Steelers need to sign him and then use his strengths in the offense that they run, just my 2 cents.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't think I'd hold it against him that he doesn't win every 1-on-1 match up with three of the top DTs in the game today. He can work on strength and I'm relatively certain that he is, he's given no indication of being a slacker. The Steelers need to sign him and then use his strengths in the offense that they run, just my 2 cents.

Pappy
    I think that early high ankle sprain has hindered him a lot more than people have expected. He's a strong guy, to think he's not is ridiculous. I have friends that played with him at UF that would attest to that.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I think that early high ankle sprain has hindered him a lot more than people have expected. He's a strong guy, to think he's not is ridiculous. I have friends that played with him at UF that would attest to that.
    Well, I've seen 2 backups play better against bigger/strong NTs than Pouncey ever has. The evidence is clear when watching him get pushed back into the pocket.

So, are you saying that those 2 backups are more talented than Pouncey? I'm not.... Pouncey is likely much more talented.

I'm saying that those two backups just might have the strength/size to handle those big/strong NTs better then Pouncey. That's fixable but I haven't seen any indication of improvement in this regard.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, I've seen 2 backups play better against bigger/strong NTs than Pouncey ever has. The evidence is clear when watching him get pushed back into the pocket.

So, are you saying that those 2 backups are more talented than Pouncey? I'm not.... Pouncey is likely much more talented.

I'm saying that those two backups just might have the strength/size to handle those big/strong NTs better then Pouncey. That's fixable but I haven't seen any indication of improvement in this regard.
    It also does not bode well for his ability to come back that all of his injuries have been to his legs, and he needs superior leg strength to move these guys.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No, those backups are just given a LOT more help than Pouncey EVER has.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It also does not bode well for his ability to come back that all of his injuries have been to his legs, and he needs superior leg strength to move these guys.
    Well, he's only had really the one recurring injury with the ankle.
    The other injury he couldn't avoid.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I always thought the most Pouncey was if you had to grade him from 1 thru 10 was a 7. Add in all his injuries, he gets pushed around by big players and he's only a 6. Just the fact that someone rolled up on him doesn't help his health but, you can sure bet not matter what happens to Pouncey, he's too much of a glass house to stand up to it. I never knew why he got so much love and how he made it to the Pro Bowls. I'm a Steeler fan and love it when our guys get that kind of attention and I love or would love the legacy of the Steelers and their great centers. Pouncey isn't one of them. I believe it was last year when the o-line needed to do the curly shuffle once again and they talked about how Pouncey would move to guard and Legursky would be the center. I thought they were foolish to have Pouncey at guard but I now believe he is better suited at it or just as compliant as guard as he is at center. In any event it does not matter. The guy has never made it through a full season has he ? The proof is in his history that he is not a player you bank upon or give big dollars to. I'd rather roll the dice with Velasco. I think he's better than Pouncey anyway. This Steeler team is in the fix it's in for not getting tough or seeing the truth with guys that can't stay on the field or only make reputation/pad stats against certain teams/players. Not everyone can be a Dermonti Dawson or Mike Webster and throwing a ton of money at Pouncey isn't going to make him a Dawson or Webster. Use Pouncey's money on other players/player and you'll be happy with the wins the correct players and growth of this team will get our Steelers.