Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers work out Ray Graham

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Why? Because Oviedo has managed to convince himself that Isaac Redman (and David Johnson...and Ramon Foster) are replaceable carbon units with no redeeming value whatsoever. Comparing the contributions of a couple of undrafted free agent running backs makes sense to the rest of us.
    Yes to this, except it is minimal redeeming value not no redeeming value. As much as their fans may hate to admit it, there is obviously something to that because Redman is gone! Johnson is gone! Foster isn't playing and we just played our best offensive game! So obviously the "replaceable carbon units" comment has some truth to it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I don't believe that is even a question. He's in no way going to get unseated. If we had conistently good line play he'd be a monster. He's making up for it in the pass game currently.
    Graham is no threat to Bell. Bell is growing nicely. Dwyer unseated Jones. I think Graham is Haley's McCluster/Howling. Bouchette thinks Jones will be the odd man out when Graham picks up the playbook. I wouldn't pull that trigger if Sly is healthy at that time. I would cut & sign Wilson to PS. That would be a pretty deep stable of RBs. If Graham can return kicks...Give Jones's hat to Graham. Jones remains inactive unless one RB gets dinged.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Graham is no threat to Bell.
    Only time will tell. I think Ray has the talent. Just not sure if/when he'd realistically get the opportunity?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Only time will tell. I think Ray has the talent. Just not sure if/when he'd realistically get the opportunity?
    nah... I see Graham as a compliment who could get 5 to 7 touches a game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not doubting his talent flip...I am glad the Steelers are giving him the opportunity & think he will make the best of it. I think he should be 100% and will look like the Graham before his injury. If I was to guess his role it would be the situational back. A back you try to get 5+ touches a game in rushing & receiving. Give him a series in the backfield. One thing I do like is the possibility of getting Bell & Graham on the field at the same time. That could create some mismatch issues because that would draw base & make LBs cover Bell & Graham. That was something that stuck out on Bells big reception last week when he split out & had a LB trying to cover him on that slant. Graham is going to give you that out of the backfield. I know many don't like the short passing game to RBs & want to go vertical. However, that "type" of game planning will help the running game and ultimately the vertical game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm not doubting his talent flip...I am glad the Steelers are giving him the opportunity & think he will make the best of it. I think he should be 100% and will look like the Graham before his injury. If I was to guess his role it would be the situational back. A back you try to get 5+ touches a game in rushing & receiving. Give him a series in the backfield. One thing I do like is the possibility of getting Bell & Graham on the field at the same time. That could create some mismatch issues because that would draw base & make LBs cover Bell & Graham. That was something that stuck out on Bells big reception last week when he split out & had a LB trying to cover him on that slant. Graham is going to give you that out of the backfield. I know many don't like the short passing game to RBs & want to go vertical. However, that "type" of game planning will help the running game and ultimately the vertical game.
    I definitely get the thinking. I just have a feeling the way Ray was able to pick his way thru traffic in college, he might actually outperform Bell behind this crappy line.

I heard Haley talking earlier this week about how the line's doing a decent job in run blocking and they aren't executing on the plays and getting any decent runs. He complimented Bell improving, but I wonder if he really thinks Bell might be some of the problem.

I do think it's kinda strange that sometimes Dwyer comes in the game in his very limited role and breaks off a nice run that we never see from Bell. I'm not entirely sold on Bell as a runner yet. I'd like to see him improving and see what others see in him, but my eyes just aren't there yet.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Not to take anything away from Dwyer, but most of his yardage, including his big runs, have come when the Steelers have been trailing by at least 9 points....in other words, when the opposing defense is playing the pass...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not discounting anything that Dwyer does. Dwyer's touches have come at all different times in the games. Simple fact about Dwyer is he is running angry & recommitted himself. He is where he is at on the depth chart & his career because he didn't get it in the first place. "What have you done now" is how I hold him in regard. If he is being productive...The past is the past. Bell is the starter. Bell hasn't done anything to lose his spot. Dwyer has done enough to leap frog Jones & take his touches. He has also earned his spot in situational football.

Dwyer & Bell have different styles. You can't point to which one is better on a given play. Dwyer just is more decisive from the handoff. A little Bettis to him. That works better on some plays & on other plays Bells patience is better. When you have an OL that may be struggling...Hitting the hole quickly & running through arm tackles looks good. But again...Play design dictates that opportunity. One the same play the hole could be closed & Dwyer runs up the back of the OL....Sound familiar? Bell's patience to see something develop & jump cut now looks good. It is very difficult to say who is better with the OL inconsistencies. When the OL jells & everyone is healthy...Both styles can be productive. The one thing I will say is Dwyer's style down the stretch may come into play more. If they Steelers are on a sloppy field or in snow & footing becomes an issue...Bell might look ineffective. Don't jump on his back & burry him...Don't start the Dwyer for President chants....That is just football. With the struggles in the run game...I'm sure we will hear it. That being said...Being a Big 10 guy I have seen Bell capable running that way. It will show up as he gains the experience & becomes comfortable in the system. We are talking about a 21 year old 7 games into his NFl career. Everyone knows I wasn't a Bell guy going into the draft but I have nothing negative to say about his development & I am encouraged by what I have seen.

Graham is the opposite of Bell & Dwyer. Diversity keeps DC up at night. Let's hope he develops into something we can all appreciate. A little Shady can go along way.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I definitely get the thinking. I just have a feeling the way Ray was able to pick his way thru traffic in college, he might actually outperform Bell behind this crappy line.

I heard Haley talking earlier this week about how the line's doing a decent job in run blocking and they aren't executing on the plays and getting any decent runs. He complimented Bell improving, but I wonder if he really thinks Bell might be some of the problem.

I do think it's kinda strange that sometimes Dwyer comes in the game in his very limited role and breaks off a nice run that we never see from Bell. I'm not entirely sold on Bell as a runner yet. I'd like to see him improving and see what others see in him, but my eyes just aren't there yet.
    still can't accept Bell as the Steeler RB? damn dude I hope LeVeon breaks off some big runs and puts this to rest.. You've been fightin' it ever since Dwyer got cut. I know you're a Dwyer fan and that's cool but you fight him at every angle. I just don't see the upside in Dwyer's game vs. Bell's. You cite this make believe pass pro edge that I don't see in the games, like Dwyer is the second coming of joe Thomas. If there is a dropoff in pass pro, its just because of Bell's inexperience, and the effect on Ben is slight to non existent. Like some RB would effect Ben's pocket presence anyway... even the OC can't do that. Ben is Ben and we all love him for it. I get the solidarity but its not warranted imo.