Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers have re-signed o-lineman Guy Whimper

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers have re-signed o-lineman Guy Whimper

Per Bob Labriola. No contract #'s yet.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He seemed to play well last year despite his prior reputation. Welcome back to Abdullah the Butcher!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd assume that this is a qualified contract for the veteran minimum, which means that there is almost no salary cap hit. As the eighth or ninth guy on the offensive line, you could do worse.

I hope to see Whimper get some competition in camp for the spot, but I think bringing him back is a solid move.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'd assume that this is a qualified contract for the veteran minimum, which means that there is almost no salary cap hit. As the eighth or ninth guy on the offensive line, you could do worse.

I hope to see Whimper get some competition in camp for the spot, but I think bringing him back is a solid move.
    Yes, as long as it is a non-guaranteed deal, why not? Injuries happen and we will need bodies for camp and likely a vet will help in filling out the roster.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So let me get this straight: Pgh's version of doing good work in FA is to sign their worst players they have? OK, super job, guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    So let me get this straight: Pgh's version of doing good work in FA is to sign their worst players they have? OK, super job, guys.
    He's a veteran offensive lineman who knows the system and has played with the other guys. And the contract is likely for the minimum. Given the limited salary cap dollars and numerous holes on the team, what alternative move would you have made?

Legend

User Info Menu

Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette:

#Steelers OL seems set now with 4 starters & Gilbert/Adams at RT, the other a backup. G/C Cody Wallace, G/T Whimper. Fill in with draft, etc

[URL]https://twitter.com/EdBouchette[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

im sure a late draft pick will be wasted for a camp body to possibly replace whimper.
    great move, no. but considering the way tomlin has drafted and how colbert has kept cowher guys around so long, this is what you get
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Well they have kept him for two years so obviously someone sees something. You also have to figure that Munchak has gotten a good look at him along with the other off Linemen. I doubt they do this unless Munchak indicated he would fit into what he wanted to do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    He's a veteran offensive lineman who knows the system and has played with the other guys. And the contract is likely for the minimum. Given the limited salary cap dollars and numerous holes on the team, what alternative move would you have made?
    IDK, sign someone who isn't considered the worst player at his position. I would strive to improve, not just keep your worst players. Shouldn't you always strive to improve? Does re-signing your worst players allow for improvement?