Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Willie Colon

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Colon staying involved throughout his injuries, attending meetings, going to practice, helping out the younger guys, etc. had a huge impact on the decision to give him the extension after the 2010 season that was lost to injury (I believe it was an Achilles injury, not an ACL as Varley reports above). A lot of the reasons for hits/misses in the draft has to do with guesswork involving how much a guy truly loves the game. Colon's attitude during these injuries has displayed his passion toward the game, and it is great to have guys like this around. Marginally talented guys with great attitudes who love this game tend to be more valuable pieces than supremely talented guys with poor attitudes who only play the game for a paycheck.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I wouldn't even consider Colon only marginally talented...

I think we'll see him shine even brighter as a Guard...

Also, it will lessen the possibility of him lining up too far off the ball, which he did entirely too often...

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers LG Willie Colon Offers Insight Behind Two Season-Ending Injuries

by Neal Coolong on Jun 19, 2012

Steelers then right tackle Willie Colon made it through all 64 plays in the Steelers' opening loss to Baltimore - a 35-7 shellacking by the eventual AFC North champions.

As if that loss wasn't hard enough to take, the following week he lost something else; again.

His season.

The mental makeup of a professional athlete is just as extraordinary as his/her physical gifts. Dealing with setback after setback has to be difficult.

But as Steelers.com writer Theresa Varley pens, Colon is just as tough mentally as physically.

Colon really lets his hair down - pun intended - in the interview on Steelers.com. More than anything, the interview shows Colon's commitment to the team. Instead of staying away from the facility, Colon embraced his leadership role, working with his replacement - then rookie Marcus Gilbert - as well as the rest of what was generally a young offensive line in 2011.

"I just wanted to cling to everything football had to offer, being around the guys and stuff," Colon told Varley. "I wasn't ready to leave it. Every inch of it I grabbed on to. Part of that was being in the meeting room, on the sidelines, being a rah-rah guy. It helped me feel like football wasn't leaving me."

Unfortunately for him, he had experience. After missing the Steelers run to the Super Bowl in 2010, Colon had chosen to stick around the team, helping the rest of the offensive line as well as coach Sean Kugler and QB Ben Roethlisberger.

Guys don't get contract extensions like Colon did after missing a season if a team doesn't want him around.

It's a different world in 2012. The Steelers offensive line shows all the reason in the world to think what was once a weakness will be a strength. Colon, whose physical build as well as mentality makes him seemingly more suitable for an interior lineman, will play left guard this season. His move there, along with first-round draft pick RG David DeCastro and C Maurkice Pouncey, could give the Steelers one of the most formidable interior offensive lines in football.

Pouncey is recovering from injuries that kept him down much of 2011, and DeCastro's work ethic and technical savvy give the Steelers versatility - all three can pull, all three can maul and all three can pass protect.

Colon's got the edge in adversity experienced, though.

"I learned a lot about myself during the injuries. I had a lot of dark nights, wanted to give up. But it made me think about how much I love the game, and I thought about the good times and it lit my fire. I love coming out of the tunnel and hearing the fans cheer. That feeling you get in your gut, the nerves. I still have that in my belly. That kept me going. Even now, when I see my helmet, put my cleats on, I still have that fire that I want to play football."

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/19/3096509/pittsburgh-steelers-offensive-line-willie-colon-injuries-maurkice-pouncey-david-decastro[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

Is this Colon clown still on the team? If so,why? How many years does it take to find an upgrade over a nonentity like this guy. The Ravens do it all the time. They must like Willie. Or feel sorry for him. Is he really a serious candidate to make this team?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Is this Colon clown still on the team? If so,why? How many years does it take to find an upgrade over a nonentity like this guy. The Ravens do it all the time. They must like Willie. Or feel sorry for him. Is he really a serious candidate to make this team?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    colon-clown? Is that like an a$$ clown? Only more specific?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't you just wish we'd drafted Brad Smelley this year? Then line him up next to Colon...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE