Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Planet Steelers Fantasy Football league

Legend

User Info Menu

Using a mere 11th round pick to keep Steve Smith would be tempting for me, but I think I'm leaning toward just giving up my 1st round pick to keep Arian Foster...he should still be a beast in spite of his veganism.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

No, I was Psycho Ward, not Squirrels. I don't have much to pick from in my late round picks --- used most of them on defensive players, which isn't worth a keeper.

The problem with saying that you want to make this league more like the NFL is that you can't do one thing without the other and have it be fair. The NFL has systems in place to promote parity: salary cap, reverse order draft, strength of schedule. Those things are in place to prevent the best teams from also having the chance to draft the best players. Yes, teams get lucky with late round picks and then get the added benefit of keeping them the next year. But if those picks produce at a high level and bring their team wins, then the team picks lower in the draft the following year and plays a harder schedule. The rules that you are proposing offer neither of those balances.

And its not about who I have available to pick from, because I have a couple of decent options for the cost of a 6th or 7th round pick. It's the fact that other owners --- and I'm looking at Asian's roster, in particular (not to pick on him here, but he stands out as having the best cost-value differential) --- have the option of getting a player like Cam Newton or Victor Cruz when the rest of us are picking our backup tight end or kicker. Suppose Asian decides to go with Newton and is satisfied that Newton will have a 2012 season comparable to last year. Then he is set at QB --- for a 20th round pick. Who else is getting a top-5 production (talking fantasy points, not NFL wins) QB with a 20th round pick --- and what now amounts to 2 years in a row? He can now get RB-WR-RB-WR in rounds 1-4, getting elite talent at those positions, and still have a top-5 QB despite not wasting a 1-4 round pick on the player. He'll actually be picking his BACKUP QB when most of the rest of us are picking our starting QB. That is totally unbalanced.

If you really want to promote this as being a fair, the best way to do a keeper has nothing to do with where you got the player the year before. Assign the ADP to the player and it costs a pick relative to that position based on a 12-round draft === that's giving the players their TRUE value, not how you managed to luck into the players last year. I don't see how you can argue that this is not a fairer method, other than the fact that it would make Gronkowski cost a 4th round pick instead of a 16th. And if that's your reasoning, then its a conflict of interest for you to make this rule as commissioner.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I made the rule before I looked at where anyone was drafted, because I had to in order to create the league. I also proposed a reverse draft order which would have knowingly put myself drafting 10th...There was quick disagreement to that from multiple people. If you think I set this league up to benefit myself then you are greatly mistaken. No one else seems to have a problem with it, so sorry, but you still do have the choice to not play if you really don't like it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Keeper league, no keeper league...whatever. Chadman's happy to play along.

In fact, not even going to complicate things as to 'value' of the keeper pick- Chadman will just select McCoy withoput thinking- why? Because value be damned- if you get the opportunity to guarentee a player being on your roster- pick the best one you can get. If it means giving up a #1 pick, so be it. McCoy wouldn't be available at the end of Round 1 anyway.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrCalculus View Post
    No, I was Psycho Ward, not Squirrels. I don't have much to pick from in my late round picks --- used most of them on defensive players, which isn't worth a keeper.

Torrey Smith in the 20th round sounds like a pretty darn good deal if you ask me. A rookie catching 50/841/7 TDs is an awesome season.

You can have him for what would at the earliest be the 229th pick, when he finished 75th overall last year and is projected at 77 this year. You are getting value of somewhere between 152 and 163 draft spots by doing that. The only players who may be better values are Gronk (164-175 value), Victor Cruz (207-21 and Cam Newton (216-227), who are both owned last year by Asian.

I'll agree to cap the value gained at 163, thereby forcing myself to take Gronk in the 15th rather than 16th round, and if Asian will agree to having to select between keeping Aaron Rodgers or using a 14th on Newton or 15th on Cruz than we can go that route and make it more fair.

What do you say to that Asian? Are you okay with making that gut wrenching decision?
    Last edited by D Rock; 08-01-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm leaning heavily towards thinking that the best thing to do might be having the 1st round run in reverse order of last years finish for competitive balance, and then a random order with snaking selections for rounds 2-20.

Everyone has a good keeper pick option so I see no reason to change the rules on that from what has been stated. For anyone still unclear, when you sign up and get in to the "My Team" homepage, a box will pop up telling you the time left until the draft. There is a link at the bottom of this box to choose your keeper player - all you need to do is follow that link, check mark on box for the keeper player you want, and go to the bottom and save your selection with the 'Set Keepers' button. From there I will insert that player in to your draft order in the round they were selected last year when the draft time comes. You will not need to do anything besides sit back and have one of your selections already made for you in the round in which your keeper is designated.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm in the League Name:
    Jooser's Mt. Mama League

How do you renew the team/league as indicated in the above posts?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I'm leaning heavily towards thinking that the best thing to do might be having the 1st round run in reverse order of last years finish for competitive balance, and then a random order with snaking selections for rounds 2-20.

Everyone has a good keeper pick option so I see no reason to change the rules on that from what has been stated. For anyone still unclear, when you sign up and get in to the "My Team" homepage, a box will pop up telling you the time left until the draft. There is a link at the bottom of this box to choose your keeper player - all you need to do is follow that link, check mark on box for the keeper player you want, and go to the bottom and save your selection with the 'Set Keepers' button. From there I will insert that player in to your draft order in the round they were selected last year when the draft time comes. You will not need to do anything besides sit back and have one of your selections already made for you in the round in which your keeper is designated.
    I don't like the idea of the first round being reverse order than a random order for the 2nd round (snaking thereafter). If you do that, what if the guy who was 12th last year (and therefore first this year), also randomly gets chosen to be first in round 2 as well (picking 1st overall and then again 13th would be a huge advantage in a 12 team league). Also what if the guy who was 1st last year (and therefore 12th this year), also randomly gets chosen to be last in round 2 as well (picking 12th and then not again until 24th would be a huge disadvantage in a 12 team league). I don't care if you decide to base the draft order on the reverse of last year, or on a completely new random order, but I whatever you chose to do for round 1, I think it is better to just snake from there as usual, rather than changing the rules for round 2, potentially giving someone a tremendous advantage or disadvantage based on that sudden switch from round 1 to round 2. Hope that makes sense.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I don't like the idea of the first round being reverse order than a random order for the 2nd round (snaking thereafter). If you do that, what if the guy who was 12th last year (and therefore first this year), also randomly gets chosen to be first in round 2 as well (picking 1st overall and then again 13th would be a huge advantage in a 12 team league). Also what if the guy who was 1st last year (and therefore 12th this year), also randomly gets chosen to be last in round 2 as well (picking 12th and then not again until 24th would be a huge disadvantage in a 12 team league). I don't care if you decide to base the draft order on the reverse of last year, or on a completely new random order, but I whatever you chose to do for round 1, I think it is better to just snake from there as usual, rather than changing the rules for round 2, potentially giving someone a tremendous advantage or disadvantage based on that sudden switch from round 1 to round 2. Hope that makes sense.
    Completely agree with this.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek View Post
    Completely agree with this.
    It was late...I had a lot of ideas in my head...

after sleeping on it and reading your thoughts I fully agree as well that that idea would not work well.