Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Steelers will look,um, insteresting on Sunday

Legend

User Info Menu

Are Steeler Throwback Jerseys Coming At Bad Time?

Oct 24th, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

The Steelers are making strides to overcome their early seasonal demons. The win over the Bengals was a large step in the right direction. The team desperately needs to keep the trend moving forward. I’m not so much a man of superstition, but I am a firm believer that you don’t mess with the mojo when it’s working.

The Steelers will be playing in their uniforms from 1934 when the Steelers were still the Pittsburgh Pirates. As you can see they are one of the biggest visual atrocities coming out of sports aside from Craig Sager. The Steelers’ (or Pirates’) record during this time equaled the visual quality of those uniforms. The Steelers went 2-10 that season when debuting these uni’s. The Steelers also have a fairy poor record when it comes to wearing any throwback uniform over the past decade.

Those two factors combined, I almost feel like the Steelers should hold off on wearing these things. Won’t they be taking a chance in channeling the Pirates of old along with their bad throwback record? Let’s hope it doesn’t mess up the winning mojo too much. Let the bumble bee references continue!

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/10/24/are-steeler-throwback-jerseys-coming-at-bad-time/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers will wear absurd throwbacks this week

SImon Samano, USA TODAY

10:08PM EDT October 24. 2012 - Remember in 2009 when the Denver Broncos wore those throwback mustard yellow jerseys with the doo-doo brown pants? We hoped those would never return, and thankfully they haven't since then.

Unfortunately, though, we'll have to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers play this Sunday in these:

The Steelers will dawn these ridiculous throwbacks from 1934 this Sunday against the Redskins.(Photo: Steelers.com)

What you're looking at here are throwbacks from 1934 ... that should've stayed in 1934.

Look, I'm not a modernist or anything. I love the sight of the Chargers' powder blues and the Rams' old-school blue-and-yellows. But these Steelers get-ups make me want to eye-gauge myself. They're ridiculous.

[URL]http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/24/pittsburgh-steelers-1934-throwback-uniforms/1656005/[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000085962/article/pittsburgh-steelers-react-to-bumblebee-uniformsBy[/url] Kareem CopelandAround the League Writer
    Published: Oct. 27, 2012 at 02:09 p.m. Updated: Oct. 27, 2012 at 02:49 p.m.

The Pittsburgh Steelers' throwback jerseys are so, um, gaudy that Ike Taylor had to make up a word to describe them.

"I like them. I like the throwback, man. That bumblebee, jailhouse look from back in the day," Taylor told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I'll try to put 'swag' and 'swurve' in the same word. How about 'swavvin'? You got to have that Looney Toons accent like Porky the Pig when you say it, too.

Isaac Redman models the uniform from the 1934 season.(Pittsburgh Steelers)
    "'Swav-v-v-v-v-v-v-in.'"

Pretty sure "bumblebee, jailhouse" wasn't what designers were going for ahead of Sunday's matchup against the Washington Redskins. Probably not a good idea to have the team resemble a 1930's chain gang. The big guys especially.

"I don't like to call them fat, but on the big, healthy guys, it's not going to look too good," Taylor said.

"Sideways stripes don't do me no good," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "Honestly, any uniform does me bad, so it can't really get any worse than it already is."

The Steelers throwbacks have not been met with much fanfare. Only 14 percent of voters on a Post-Gazette online poll liked the uniforms. They're even worse than the Packers' recent throwbacks with the blue jersey, yellow dot in the middle and doo-doo brown helmets. That's quite the accomplishment.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I like the throwback uniforms. They are so outrageous that your have to like 'em. But either way I could care less what we wear, as long as we win.

GO STEELERS !!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post

Pretty sure "bumblebee, jailhouse" wasn't what designers were going for ahead of Sunday's matchup against the Washington Redskins. Probably not a good idea to have the team resemble a 1930's chain gang.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

Nicely done

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Mike Tomlin

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is this the throwback uni for the Skins ??? Will they be wearing these on Sunday?

cooley4.jpg

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Is this the throwback uni for the Skins ??? Will they be wearing these on Sunday?

cooley4.jpg
    Let's hope not

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Legend

User Info Menu

Scandal rocks Pittsburgh Steelers as historical accuracy of throwback uniforms questioned

By Rebecca Rollett on Nov 2

And to think we were worried about minor stuff like the Emmanuel Sanders injury or the Ta'amu legal troubles...

In a hard-hitting piece of uniform-related journalism, Phil Hecken of Uni-Watch reveals the questionable historical basis for the "1934" throwbacks. In a patient unravelling of the evidence trail, including a trip to the Pennsylvania State Library in Harrisburg, Hecken reveals the uniforms were first worn not in 1934 but in 1933.

Hecken's evidence is based upon viewing the microfilm collection of Pittsburgh newspaper photos of games in 1933 and 1934. According to Hecken, the unis were only worn once in a game, in November of 1933. (They were also worn in a team photo in 1934.) The game was vs. Brooklyn, and the Pittsburgh (football) Pirates were beaten 32-0. Thank heavens I didn't know this before last Sunday's game—I would have been even more of a wreck than I was.

But, shocking as this presumably deliberate misinformation is, the scandal doesn't stop there. According to Hecken's evidence, the number blocks actually had a yellow background rather than a white one. Although the Steelers facility displays a jersey purporting to be from 1934 with white number blocks, its authenticity has not been confirmed. Will the deceit never end?

Isn't there enough scandal on the team now, what with Emmanuel Sanders' upcoming visit to the league offices (at least once he can get to them,) DeAngelo Hall's accusations of dirty play on the part of a Steelers wide receiver, or the brutal treatment of a peaceable visiting quarterback (RGIII) at the hands of S Will Allen and OLB James Harrison? You would think they would at least get the unis right.

O tempores, o mores! But, because of the tireless search for the truth of Mr. Hecken, veritas vincit. Thank heavens there is still a man in the media who isn't afraid to challenge the great and confront them with their faults. I implore the Steelers organization to own up to their duplicity, right the ship, and once again be able to hold their heads high among their peers in the National Football League. And as for those of you considering the purchase of a throwback jersey, caveat emptor.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/11/2/3585934/steelers-throwback-jerseys-week-8-washington-redskins-authentic-real[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha