Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is it going to be?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Who is it going to be?

The Steelers are prepping for a FA signing...

The Steelers freed up some $ and they will free up more when they sign Worilds to a long-term deal, cut Woodley, cut/paycut Ike, etc

Yes, they need to sign some of their own + draft picks but that won't cost them much.

I think FS makes a lot of sense. They don't demand huge much (like CBs) and we have a huge need there. I don't think the Steelers feel confident in Golden to take over for Clark. We can't address all our needs in the draft and trying to do so will make us reach for players which is a recipe for disaster.

Malcom Jenkins anyone?

What if our secondary looked like this...

Jenkins, Polamalu, Ike (accepts paycut), Cortez Allen, W. Gay, S. Thomas, Gilbert/Dennard
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is it possible that the big move is cutting Woodley pre June? It would be a huge move. It pretty much eliminates the player with a somewhat neutral cap consideration this year, and we must then find backups to the starters - Worilds and Jones. That would suggest a longer term deal for Worilds, or it might keep him on a one year deal and necessitate them finding the replacement for next year.

It then eliminates a huge cap hit that is currently sitting on the books for 2015 and 2016.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Is it possible that the big move is cutting Woodley pre June? It would be a huge move. It pretty much eliminates the player with a somewhat neutral cap consideration this year, and we must then find backups to the starters - Worilds and Jones. That would suggest a longer term deal for Worilds, or it might keep him on a one year deal and necessitate them finding the replacement for next year.

It then eliminates a huge cap hit that is currently sitting on the books for 2015 and 2016.
    For the longest time I was hoping that they would keep both Woodley and Worilds, but after thinking about it a bit more I'd be good with Woodley getting cut. The defense isn't getting fixed in one year, so eliminating large amounts of cap money for 2015 and 2016 I think would be the best for the team. The Steelers would roll with Worilds and Jones, draft an OLB and work with what's left on the team for depth.

Jenkins would be an excellent FA signing and would eliminate one need going into the draft. If Ike takes a cut (which I believe he will), they draft a CB and Troy is already in the fold the secondary should be fine. They would still be struggling at DL and ILB, maybe they keep Keisel on a year reasonable deal to help the DL, but like I said one draft isn't fixing what ails this defense.

If I were GM I think Woodley would be cut.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Thing is when Woodley is healthy he's pretty good.
    Just wish he could stay healthy.
    Still not worth the $$$$ though IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Injuries, the draft, good late season play and big contracts have put the Steelers in a precarious position at OLB. I do agree that, when healthy, Woodley is really good. Can he stay healthy?

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Agreed. However, Woodley is only proven to be good as a LOLB. Worilds is only a LOLB, he is actually proven to be a poor ROLB. You can't spend anywhere close to $23M on the one position. Even if Worilds signs long term, tying up $18-20M in two LOLBs is a bad move. The team chose Worilds so IMO Woodley must go. The only question is before or after June 1.
    Last edited by steeler_fan_in_t.o.; 03-08-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Good WHEN he is healthy AND not a fat slob. In 2012 he was so fat and out-of-shape that it wasn't even funny. No excuse for coming in, and staying, so overweight. Fact is he is a total of 9 sacks over the last two seasons. Not good enough, when you are making what he is making. I also wonder if his lazy attitude spreads in the locker room. This team still needs an attitude adjustment; I feel like they were on their way to fixing it last season, but they are still a little iffy there. Getting rid of a lazy player helps get that locker room right. Woodley had 13.5 sacks one year. THAT kind of production is worth what he is making; 9 sacks over two seasons is NOT. We need hungry, motivated players on D. Anyone not fitting that bill, see you later.

Administrator

User Info Menu

How did this get turned into another Woodley is fat overweight slob LB thread.

The intent of this post was to get opinions on who you think the Steelers might target in FA.... particularly to fill a starting role.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ok here is my thought. They will do it like they always do. FS will be penciled in with Will Allen. Maybe Golden or Shark can beat him out in camp. They may sign a FS FA but it will be an under the radar type player like Clark was. That FA player will have to beat out Will Allen an other young players and maybe even Ike Taylor IF he tries to make the switch. They might even try to get a FA CB, DE, RB, LB. Depends what still happens with there own FA's and what happens in the draft of course. Now to name a FA signing good luck with that.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd guess we're thinking about ILB, OLB, FS, CB, NT, WR, RB, TE. There's a lot of areas where we could use a vet.