Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Adams really THAT bad?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Is Adams really THAT bad?

Habitual lurker here... finally broke down and registered an account. I've got a question...

Is Mike Adams really THAT bad at LT? I'm not an OLine nut and don't pay exceedingly close attention to his play, but is he really as bad as everyone thinks? And more importantly, is he completely hopeless at the position? I seem to remember a lot of people saying Starks couldn't play LT early in his career as well, and yet some are calling for his return (which I consider insane btw, but whatever). Is it a completely lost cause, or is this just normal growing pains for a new LT in the league?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OsoRojo View Post
    Habitual lurker here... finally broke down and registered an account. I've got a question...

Is Mike Adams really THAT bad at LT? I'm not an OLine nut and don't pay exceedingly close attention to his play, but is he really as bad as everyone thinks? And more importantly, is he completely hopeless at the position? I seem to remember a lot of people saying Starks couldn't play LT early in his career as well, and yet some are calling for his return (which I consider insane btw, but whatever). Is it a completely lost cause, or is this just normal growing pains for a new LT in the league?
    Mike Adams will.be fine. He excels in run blocking and the pass protection will get there, its gilbert we need to worry about.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OsoRojo View Post

What I see with Adams, is a problem across the entire o-line. They aren't agressive. AT ALL. Especially Adams. Hes so passive.

I think if we can get him fired up he will be fine. But He has to play agressive. Playing Passive will get you beat.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He is awful.

I honestly don't know what these other guys are talking about. It is hard to notice his effect on run blocking because it is hard to know his assignment on any given play. I would suspect that he is not much better at it than his pass protection. I mean, I doubt a guy can be Jamain Stephens one play, Larry Allen the next. His pass pro is bad. Personally, I think its awful. But objectively, I will be allow for circumstance to play a part. Maybe Michael Johnson (CIN DE) is that good. Maybe Peppers isn't as old as I think.

I just can't comprehend what these others are talking about, because he so consistently offers no resistance on any given play. My layman's perspective is he has poor hands. It is like the opposing DE has silicon caked on his body. OL is as much about a fight as anything else. It is technique, and intelligence to be sure. But if you are a pu$s, you are going to have a tough time excelling. That is Adams' biggest weakness (and Gilbert for that matter).

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    He is awful.

I honestly don't know what these other guys are talking about. It is hard to notice his effect on run blocking because it is hard to know his assignment on any given play. I would suspect that he is not much better at it than his pass protection. I mean, I doubt a guy can be Jamain Stephens one play, Larry Allen the next. His pass pro is bad. Personally, I think its awful. But objectively, I will be allow for circumstance to play a part. Maybe Michael Johnson (CIN DE) is that good. Maybe Peppers isn't as old as I think.

I just can't comprehend what these others are talking about, because he so consistently offers no resistance on any given play. My layman's perspective is he has poor hands. It is like the opposing DE has silicon caked on his body. OL is as much about a fight as anything else. It is technique, and intelligence to be sure. But if you are a pu$s, you are going to have a tough time excelling. That is Adams' biggest weakness (and Gilbert for that matter).

I actually pretty much agree with you, I just attribute (some) of the fact he is never agressive with his hands or technique, is because this line is not agressive and seems to be playing gap assignment football. No Anger, no passion.

Id like to see a guy his size Maul people. But he just sits... and waits.
    Last edited by Dupree; 09-28-2013 at 01:22 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Adams is awful. He gets run by and run over. He's always off balance. He's stumbling and bumbling in protection. He's made Johnson and Peppers look like Aldon Smith on steroids. He's just soft. There's no way a guy his size should get thrown around so easily. I don't know what anyone sees in him other than size?

The rest of the linemen are much improved from the TEN game. Including Gilbert. The line has some communication issues. I don't see the other guys getting manhandled like Adams. The others are getting beat when it looks like they are confused and don't know who's coming and who's dropping into coverage. Other times, they look like they're picking up the wrong pass rusher. It looks mental for the other 4. But Adams is struggling big time and he's getting thrown around. Just abused week in and week out.

Starks was never this bad. As much as folks didn't like Starks and think he's washed up, he didn't give up sacks. Starks would go for weeks upon weeks not giving up sacks to premiere pass rushers. I even remember him shutting down Allen the last time we played the Vikings. This week, I fully expect Allen to be a terror on the edge.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I do think Adams has played horrendously. But, I think he can (in the least) be a solid RT in this league with some hard work. I am not ready to give up on him, but he has not inspired confidence so far.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

As hard as I have been on Adams in other posts, I actually think there is a lot of upside there with Mike. The guy, for better or worse, stays with his blocks in pass protection and finishes his run blocks. He lack consistency, but remember how young he is. He was forced into the lineup way to soon. He needed a couple of years to develop before being a full time player IMHO.

Thats part of the reason I cringe everytime I hear someone talking about using high draft picks on lineman. Young players dont rarely come into this league ready to take the field day one. I think Adams could have benefited from backing up a seasoned Vet for a couple of years. Seeing how its been years since we have had a seasoned Vet at tackle, we instead through him to the wolves before he was ready. The same can be said for Decastro to a degree.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Adams is awful. He gets run by and run over. He's always off balance. He's stumbling and bumbling in protection. He's made Johnson and Peppers look like Aldon Smith on steroids. He's just soft. There's no way a guy his size should get thrown around so easily. I don't know what anyone sees in him other than size?

The rest of the linemen are much improved from the TEN game. Including Gilbert. The line has some communication issues. I don't see the other guys getting manhandled like Adams. The others are getting beat when it looks like they are confused and don't know who's coming and who's dropping into coverage. Other times, they look like they're picking up the wrong pass rusher. It looks mental for the other 4. But Adams is struggling big time and he's getting thrown around. Just abused week in and week out.

Starks was never this bad. As much as folks didn't like Starks and think he's washed up, he didn't give up sacks. Starks would go for weeks upon weeks not giving up sacks to premiere pass rushers. I even remember him shutting down Allen the last time we played the Vikings. This week, I fully expect Allen to be a terror on the edge.
    When Starks was early in his career, he sure as hell did....when Starks flipped from RT to LT, he did for awhile...

Max took some time to develop consistency...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    When Starks was early in his career, he sure as hell did....when Starks flipped from RT to LT, he did for awhile...

Max took some time to develop consistency...
    I'm pretty sure that's how people began to hate Max. He was more remembered for his horrible play on the right, yet ended up having a solid career at LT.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]