Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Every hour that goes by that no one has inked Harrison ...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Question to the board ...

What would be the first sign we fans would have that MAYBE Mr. Harrison might return? Something like a sighting of his agent on the South Side? A "leak" to a 'burgh reporter that talks are in progress?

I'm wondering if all this deafening silence from the principals involved truly means that there is nothing happening, or if it's possible that things might be happening behind the scenes.

Oh, Give Us A Sign!!
    the draft... if they guy(s) they want are there, they take them... if not, they pass...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Given where the Steelers are currently at, if Harrison does not recieve any interest between now & draft day, he's likely one player available who could have an impact for the team in 2013. There are not too many available players left that can have the same said.

Ironically, one of the other FA's that might have the greatest opportunity to make an impact for the Steelers in 2013 is another former Steeler- Max Starks.

Starks, possibly moreso than Harrison, would be a great addition- even if he's only asked to be a back-up. It takes away a 'need/want' going into the draft & gives a much safer feel than some 6th round OT backing up Adams/Gilbert.

Chadman believes Ahmad Bradshaw will be signed. The Steelers are his best chance to start in 2013. Might only be a 1 year deal, but it's a good signing for both sides.

If no NT is drafted, Chadman wonders if big Casey might be brought into Camp to put the torch on McLendon/Ta'amu/Fangupo..
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they have moved on from casey for sure.

now, if starks is out there.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I think they have moved on from casey for sure.

now, if starks is out there.....
    You'd think so, but there is no long term committment to McLendon or Ta'amu (at this stage) & Fangupo is 3rd in line. Not sure if NT is as set in stone as some might want to believe.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Given where the Steelers are currently at, if Harrison does not recieve any interest between now & draft day, he's likely one player available who could have an impact for the team in 2013. There are not too many available players left that can have the same said.

Ironically, one of the other FA's that might have the greatest opportunity to make an impact for the Steelers in 2013 is another former Steeler- Max Starks.

Starks, possibly moreso than Harrison, would be a great addition- even if he's only asked to be a back-up. It takes away a 'need/want' going into the draft & gives a much safer feel than some 6th round OT backing up Adams/Gilbert.

Chadman believes Ahmad Bradshaw will be signed. The Steelers are his best chance to start in 2013. Might only be a 1 year deal, but it's a good signing for both sides.

If no NT is drafted, Chadman wonders if big Casey might be brought into Camp to put the torch on McLendon/Ta'amu/Fangupo..
    Given the choice between Starks and Harrison I'm resigning Starks.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

You'd think so, but there is no long term committment to McLendon or Ta'amu (at this stage) & Fangupo is 3rd in line. Not sure if NT is as set in stone as some might want to believe.
    I think that the Steelers may be seeing that the 3-4 that requires a dominant NT is just too hard to replenish from a talent standpoint. When LeBeau is out the door the 4-3 or a hybrid defense is going to happen. Too many teams are using the 3-4 now looking for the same dominat NT and "conversion" project DEs to play OLB. The talent pool is just shallower than in the past and it takes much of a players first contract just to get onto the field if they can. Inefficient in a cap driven league.

Legend

User Info Menu

The problem is these 3 guys are still all better than their backups and the coaches would probably start them. I think that's why Colbert can't/won't do it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think that the Steelers may be seeing that the 3-4 that requires a dominant NT is just too hard to replenish from a talent standpoint. When LeBeau is out the door the 4-3 or a hybrid defense is going to happen. Too many teams are using the 3-4 now looking for the same dominat NT and "conversion" project DEs to play OLB. The talent pool is just shallower than in the past and it takes much of a players first contract just to get onto the field if they can. Inefficient in a cap driven league.
    damn dude.. no one can call you a quitter. I agree on more teams moving to the 3-4 makes it harder to find players but IMO half these teams will switch back. I doubt we will lead that change...

Also have to factor in the zone read... if that fad continues I think teams will use whatever D is better suited to defend against it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The problem is these 3 guys are still all better than their backups and the coaches would probably start them. I think that's why Colbert can't/won't do it.
    That's exactly what some said about Harrison when Joey Porter left. Harrison had done zero to that point of his career.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That would be true, if they had actually swung & missed with anything but 1 shot at a future NT. Drafting Ta'amu & him being a headcase does not make drafting a dominant NT impossible. There appears to be 4-5 very good options at NT available within the first 2 rounds of the 2013 draft.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE