Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colon carrying BIG Chip after getting dumped By Steelers

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Colon carrying BIG Chip after getting dumped By Steelers

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York, Wille Colon has a chip on his shoulder; and its name is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Colon was released after the free-agency period began. He was scheduled for a base salary in 2013 of $5.5 million, which was deemed too high for a player who finished his last three consecutive seasons on injured reserve. However, unlike fellow cap casualty James Harrison, the team never asked Colon or his agent about renegotiating his deal into a paycut. The first time the team contacted Colon about his obese compensation, it was to notify him of his release.

The Steelers released him on a June 1st designation, meaning he is a free-agent now, but his cap savings will be applied on June 2nd. Even though the team is forced to carry his salary on the ledger for now, they will save approximately $5.5 million. This savings will most likely be used to sign the team's upcoming draft class.
    With his new team, the New York Jets, Colon will be playing the same position he played last year for the Steelers - left guard. Colon spent the first three years of his career as a right tackle, before switching to guard after the team found itself heavy on tackles. His experiment was slowly rounding into success, when he absorbed a cheap shot during a game vs. the Baltimore Ravens which damaged his knee and ended his season.

The Jets two starting guards from 2012 are both free-agents this year, meaning Colon will most likely be an opening day starter. Replacing him in the Steelers lineup is recently re-signed Ramon Foster. While Colon admitted he held no hard feelings toward Foster or the Steelers, they would be the bellows to his passion furnace as he moved on.
    Moving on is all Colon can do at this point. While his injuries in Pittsburgh were unrelated, they will be held against him his entire career. Even the Jets only signed him to a one year deal. He will have to prove to the NFL he is healthy and durable, once again.

"It’s been extremely challenging. It’s one of those things where every time I kind of felt like I got over the hump, there was always something else. I’m a fighter. Any time you fall off the horse, you get back on it and ride it. That’s my attitude with anything. It’s tough. It’s been a tough two years, I’m not going to lie, but I have a new home and I’m excited to be a Jet."
    As Colon adapts to his new environment, the Steelers will be left to develop their young offensive line without Colon's veteran presence. With Foster holding down Colon's left guard spot and 2012 draft pick David DeCastro filling the right guard slot, the team's only depth falls on Kelvin Beachum, John Malecki and futures player Justin Cheadle.

While neither side will really hold a grudge toward the other party, at least Colon will be able to use it as motivation, as he carries this chip well into the season. Both teams play each other later in 2013, perhaps then he will get a chance to show his former employer how he really feels.

Willie Colon......New Jets G Willie Colon on getting released by the Steelers: "I do have a big-*ARSE**** chip on my shoulder.

Hate to break it to you Willie, but its the nature of the game. Business supercedes Loyalty.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-20-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

This the one and only solid front office move.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Colon can have a chip on his shoulder, but he refused a pay cut last year, and the Steelers then opted to restructure his deal. That made his contract more burdensome this year with the extra bonus money. Colon is partly to blame.

I don't think he would have played for the Steelers for the same deal he took from the Jets.

Legend

User Info Menu

So let me get this straight...the Steelers stuck with him through his extensive injury history, paying him good money. He gets healthy, plays ok but the Steelers decide to move on. He has a chip on his shoulder? I don't know, I think I would be greatful that the Steelers didnt dump me when I was injured. I would be greatful that I got paid for alot of games I didn't play in.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

He also came in extremely overweight.
    Only so much his body can take with all that extra weight.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

hahaha....a chip on your shoulder cause the Steelers cut you. They paid you millions to come out with grandma flappy fat arms and a giant mud gut, not play anywhere near a full season any year of your contract, and YOU HAVE A CHIP!!!!! The Rooney's should of made you pay for the electric it took to run that whirlpool your fat butt sat in like the South Side headquarters is SeaWorld and you're Shamoo you blubbering out of shape walking injury.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    hahaha....a chip on your shoulder cause the Steelers cut you. They paid you millions to come out with grandma flappy fat arms and a giant mud gut, not play anywhere near a full season any year of your contract, and YOU HAVE A CHIP!!!!! The Rooney's should of made you pay for the electric it took to run that whirlpool your fat butt sat in like the South Side headquarters is SeaWorld and you're Shamoo you blubbering out of shape walking injury.
    Ok, that is certainly one way of saying he shouldn't have a chip on his shoulder.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Any of the negative talk you can throw at this guy I will approve. At his best he was average and and avergae guy that got hurt a lot. Was it him or Kemoateu that stepped on Ben or Pouncey or whomever and got them hurt ? These fat slob o-linemen not only hurt themselves but they step and fall on their own players.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeah, that was a little overboard....
    @_Hellgrammite

Starter

User Info Menu

I really hope that CHIP dosent weigh too much or Willie may injure his shoulder, and miss another season.