Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tavon 'Awesome' Austin...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    hmmm... less sure than you guys. I saw straightline speed, but I didn't see ability to make cuts or the quick feet. maybe a 3rd or 4th rder.
    In other words... youve never seen him play. His jump cut is insane.. its his best weapon, IMO. He chanves direction without slowing down better than any player Ive seen in the last 3 years of college ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    In other words... youve never seen him play. His jump cut is insane.. its his best weapon, IMO. He chanves direction without slowing down better than any player Ive seen in the last 3 years of college ball.
    Yes! Exactly. Like I said, there's fast, then there's Tavon Austin fast. He changes direction in a heartbeat. Teams rarely hit him squarely enough to ever hurt him, so he's been a very durable player for WVU. He'll make an impact in the NFL.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You are correct.

My comment was based on the first highlight clip in the post, which showed a lot of breakaway speed in the open field.

Now the second clip from Jooser paints a different picture and it looks intriguing.

Legend

User Info Menu

As I pointed out earlier in another post, Austin is a better option than Rainey because for starters, he doesn't come with the character issues. Secondly, he isn't the same style of runner; whereas Rainey is a straight on track-style runner who couldn't seem to make anyone miss, Austin on the other hand has the break away speed, and it's really hard to even get a hand on him, much less a helmet.

Not sure he's a feature back in the NFL, and I'm not even advocating a 1st round pick, but if he lasts til the 2nd he's worth a shot at least.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

According to draftscout, Tavon Austin is one inch shorter and ten pounds lighter than Antonio Brown was coming out. Emmanuel Sanders was 3 inches taller and 11 pounds heavier. But, those two were not first or second rounders.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 03-03-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    According to draftscout, Tavon Austin is one inch shorter and ten pounds lighter than Antonio Brown was coming out.
    Yeah, I think he'd make a great 3rd down back or slot WR. He's always a threat to break a short gainer go the distance. He also plays smart and would be a ST nightmare to cover on punts and KO's.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    As I pointed out earlier in another post, Austin is a better option than Rainey because for starters, he doesn't come with the character issues. Secondly, he isn't the same style of runner; whereas Rainey is a straight on track-style runner who couldn't seem to make anyone miss, Austin on the other hand has the break away speed, and it's really hard to even get a hand on him, much less a helmet.

Not sure he's a feature back in the NFL, and I'm not even advocating a 1st round pick, but if he lasts til the 2nd he's worth a shot at least.
    Kid is zero to full speed in one step which allows him to easily set up would be tacklers with that pause step. If he was there in the second round I would have his name in before a second clicks off the clock.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Ray Rice has made a living out of the pause step and jump cut, Tavon Austin is a step above him IMHO.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

2nd round, only because he doesnt sack the QB or play QB.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Ray Rice has made a living out of the pause step and jump cut, Tavon Austin is a step above him IMHO.
    That season ending win against Cleveland was meaningless and screwed our draft position. Just imagine the impact players we would be looking at drafting had we lost that game and went 7-9.
    @_Hellgrammite