Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Max Starks prepared to part ways with Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    Great posts flippy and steelfin.

I just hate the we let go a solid left tacle in Max... a guy who gave up something like 3 sacks last year... and signed a guy who gave up the most sacks in the league when he started in 2011.

This is yet another one of those FO moves that has makes no sense. I don't care if the Whimper is familiar with the steeler's blocking scheme. It's obvious the guy is terrible in pass protection...

if the injury situation plays out like it has the last few years... this dude is golng to be on the field early and often. Not a great way to protect our number 1 weapon (BB)

Great post on your part, too, Big Ern. Max is still a better option than what we have on the roster.

PS: Flippy don't do no bad posts, mostly.

Backup

User Info Menu

Max Starks visiting Cardinals today

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 14, 2013, 11:07 AM EDT

As one of the few available offensive tackles who has the experience and ability to play on the left, Max Starks still has something of a market.

According to Josina Anderson of ESPN, the free agent tackle is visiting with the Cardinals today, and taking a physical.

He’s previously checked in with the tackle-needy Chargers, where he’d likely walk in the door as the starter, since no one seems to think King Dunlap’s capable of holding that job.

In Arizona, they’re hoping the return of left tackle Levi Brown stabilizes things, after they drafted guard Jonathan Cooper in the first round. But it’s not as if the Cardinals don’t need more help up front, even if Bobby Massie continues to progress at right tackle.

[URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/14/max-starks-visiting-cardinals-today/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/14/max-starks-visiting-cardinals-today/[/URL]
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Backup

User Info Menu

Everyone keeps talking about the changing scheme....

In 2014, I'm sure the steelers will want their Left Tackle to do what every other team wants their left tackles to do... and that is to protect the quarterback's blindside first and foremost. Max did a solid job with that last year, allowing only a few sacks all year. I'd be willing to bet the farm that the Steelers will not get that kind of production at the left tackle spot this year.
    Last edited by Big Ern McCracken; 05-14-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd be willing to bet ya. I have the faith that the young Tackles will be just fine.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Backup

User Info Menu

It's a deal lol... if the young tackles give up 3 or less sacks this year... you win!

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Max is so great, then why is he still looking for a job?

Max wasn't the difference between going to the playoffs and staying home last year...nor was he the difference between Ben being injured and staying healthy....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If Max is so great, then why is he still looking for a job?

Max wasn't the difference between going to the playoffs and staying home last year...nor was he the difference between Ben being injured and staying healthy....

It's not that he's that great. It's that he's been better than the next man up on the Steelers roster. How many years did we keep bringing him back?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It's not that he's that great. It's that he's been better than the next man up on the Steelers roster. How many years did we keep bringing him back?
    That may no longer be the case...

Backup

User Info Menu

and it just might be the case that he is not on the market much longer. The fact that he remains unsigned doesn't say much... There are quite a few unsigned free agents on the market right now that would be definite upgrades on our roster...

and to add to what Ike said, it's not that he's a great player...but he has been the best tackle on the squad for the last two years... as well as the best lineman overall.
    Last edited by Big Ern McCracken; 05-15-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    but he has been the best tackle on the squad for the last two years... as well as the best lineman overall.
    Max has been fine, I agree with that, but Pouncey has been better than him overall.