Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manny Sanders - The Forgotten WR

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I have 2 words for you!! David Gilreath

David Gilreath was better known for his ability to return kickoffs and punts at Wisconsin than for his offensive prowess at WR. I also didn't realize he only weighs 169 lbs although he may be a little heavier now...

Height / Weight:
    5-11 / 169

Career: Holds Big Ten record for career kickoff returns with 135 and career kickoff return yards with 3,025 yards ... holds school record for kickoff return yards in a season (967) and in a game (189) ... ranks third all-time in school history with 5,265 career all-purpose yards ... ranks fifth all-time at Wisconsin with 721 punt return yards ... ranks 21st all-time at Wisconsin with 1,077 career receiving yards ... registered the second-longest touchdown run (90 yards) in UW history against Indiana in 2008 ... 28 career games with at least 100 all-purpose yards

[URL]http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gilreath_david00.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Such a great post goes unnoticed. I agree I believe Gilreath to have the tools to be the real deal.
    One names I have not heard mentioned is Toney Clemons. Why is that? He has better physical tools than Gilreath and could develop. There was an article on Keenan Lewis the other day where it talked about Clemons catching a tough jump ball over him? He has Wallace speed with a 4.36 forty time at 6' 2". If he learns to concentrate more, he could be a weapon in the next few years.

Lewis, in perfect coverage, had a deep ball snagged over his head by Toney Clemons, who was playing the role of stud New York Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks -- right in front of team owners Dan and Art Rooney II

Read more: [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-lewis-develops-into-top-notch-cb-660438/#ixzz2BUehlcke[/URL]
    Last edited by BigRob; 11-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    One names I have not heard mentioned is Toney Clemons. Why is that? He has better physical tools than Gilreath and could develop. There was an article on Keenan Lewis the other day where it talked about Clemons catching a tough jump ball over him? He has Wallace speed with a 4.36 forty time at 6' 2". If he learns to concentrate more, he could be a weapon in the next few years.
    Toney Clemons developed a bad case of the dropsies as camp wore on, I'm sure we drafted him and then kept him on the PS because of his physical tools but he needs to catch the ball or he won't be in the league long.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Manny Sanders reminds me of Ernie Mills
    That's a good comparison! I would certainly put him there with guys like Mills, Charles Johnson, Nate Washington (I like him better than Nate though).
    I certainly don't see him as a "#1 on most teams". I really don't even think he is a great #2. (He would be a good #2 to me at best.)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Clemons is a project based on his preseason play. Gilreath on the other hand was shifty, had great hands and had a terrific preseason...actually blew up one game. I really liked what seen from him.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Nice comparison

Manny Sanders reminds me of Ernie Mills

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Toney Clemons developed a bad case of the dropsies as camp wore on, I'm sure we drafted him and then kept him on the PS because of his physical tools but he needs to catch the ball or he won't be in the league long.
    Hence why I was glad to hear he was "Soup Canning" Lewis while on the practice squad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Limas Sweed had no problem "soup canning" in practice. It's what you do in game situations. When given a chance Clemons didn't show anything. He has the physical tools just like Sweed, but who knows if he is a game time gamer. What I do know is when Gilreath got a chance to play, he played his heart out and owned the field. That has to stand for something no matter how small the guy is.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    What I do know is when Gilreath got a chance to play, he played his heart out and owned the field.
    That's a bit of hyperbole...

Derrick Williams also owned the field when he had a chance to play in the preseason...

The Steelers thought enough of both Gilreath and Clemons to give each a chance to develop as professionals on the PS...they will get another shot next year, most likely...

Legend

User Info Menu

Can someone explain "soup canning" to me? I don't get it. I get what happened, just not sure why they're calling it "soup canning".