Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Change Defensive Philosophy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I agree with you about Ziggy but Worilds really impressed me last year when he subbed for Woodley on the left side. I think he did a great job on that side as opposed to his play when on the right side.
    I agree, I liked him better on the left side.

I see Worilds as a Gildon or Haggans level OLB - a guy who can do the job when paired with a Joey Porter or James Harrison type on the other side.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    And I can find the stats again, but he did not drop back into coverage any more than he did in years in which he was successful rushing the passer.
    Again not the point. I'm not debating his productivity. I'm debating why we are dropping pass rushers into coverage...often.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Again not the point. I'm not debating his productivity. I'm debating why we are dropping pass rushers into coverage...often.
    Shawn, I think the idea is, in this defensive philosophy, that you have your secondary playing deep to eliminate the long stuff. That kinda forces the offense to throw short. So, you drop your LB's and try to clog the throwing lanes and hope the QB rushes his read a makes a bad throw into traffic. The problem has been (recently), we've allowed the QB too much time to improvise because of lack of pressure from whomever is the designated blitzer. Generally, at least one LB is tasked with rushing along with the DL. I guess I can see some merit in getting the ends to attack the QB more on obvious passing situations, but they can be burnt on draw type plays too. (<<<<---- think Ray Rice here.)
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Lemming...you stated "And what team has more of a rep as an "attacking" defense than this one?"

About half the teams in the NFL? I was speaking about last season as stated in my post. No one feared the Steelers D last season.
    Shawn but that is a PLAYER issue not scheme. Rushing Ziggy and Casey aint scaring anybody last year. AGAIN, Harrison not healthy, ditto for Troy, Woodley fat and slow, that aint scheme. If Sure people did not FEAR our D last year like they used to. I said REPUTATION which aint one year, I am talking about the Steelers under DL as a coach. WE ALL KNOW the reputation of his defense IS WITHOUT PEER when it come to attacking nature. Shawn what has changed? Did he use to bring the rush from the defensive line? It is the health, age and shape of his best PLAYERS. Now he is tweaking his scheme. Not because the old was a failure but as Keisel implied "when they had Harrison and Woodley"(healthy) they rightly freed up the LBers to create havoc. This change has less to do with a bad scheme than less confidence in the LBers.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Nothing new. The WHOLE KEY to the defense is YOU DONT KNOW WHO is coming. You want Troy or Timmons to shoot a gap untouched to make a clean sack? Somebody HAS to drop back. The numbers are out, Woodley dropped back LESS than he did in big sack seasons. His whining is just an excuse. "Sure Lamar you weren't fat and slow" yeah I believe that.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Shawn, I think the idea is, in this defensive philosophy, that you have your secondary playing deep to eliminate the long stuff. That kinda forces the offense to throw short. So, you drop your LB's and try to clog the throwing lanes and hope the QB rushes his read a makes a bad throw into traffic. The problem has been (recently), we've allowed the QB too much time to improvise because of lack of pressure from whomever is the designated blitzer. Generally, at least one LB is tasked with rushing along with the DL. I guess I can see some merit in getting the ends to attack the QB more on obvious passing situations, but they can be burnt on draw type plays too. (<<<<---- think Ray Rice here.)
    I agree Jooser. And that is the philosophy I'm talking about. Tighten up coverage..more bump using our physical corners...disrupting timing. Using our pass rusher to actually rush the passer. Taking more chances.

Has anyone considered part of the reason the Steelers are not getting turnovers is the fact that they dont force decisions and disrupt timing when they play off with their DBs and drop guys like Woodley into coverage?

Backup

User Info Menu

I agree Jooser. And that is the philosophy I'm talking about. Tighten up coverage..more bump using our physical corners...disrupting timing. Using our pass rusher to actually rush the passer. Taking more chances.

Has anyone considered part of the reason the Steelers are not getting turnovers is the fact that they dont force decisions and disrupt timing when they play off with their DBs and drop guys like Woodley into coverage?
    I have. The reason they aren't getting turnovers and pressuring QBs is because they're "tackling the catch" and just hoping that eventually the other team will make a mistake.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Both Shawn and Crash are right in this instance...

As is Lemming, as well...

The Steelers have always played off with their DBs and dropped guys like Woodley into coverage...remember the longest INT return in SB history?

The difference last year was that the pass rush was ineffective because the players were hurt, out-of-shape, whatever...

With Troy, Woodley and Harrison being damaged goods last year, the defense, while disciplined (for the most part) and well coached, didn't have the horses to force decisions and disrupt timing as they did in ears past...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Both Shawn and Crash are right in this instance...

As is Lemming, as well...

The Steelers have always played off with their DBs and dropped guys like Woodley into coverage...remember the longest INT return in SB history?

The difference last year was that the pass rush was ineffective because the players were hurt, out-of-shape, whatever...

With Troy, Woodley and Harrison being damaged goods last year, the defense, while disciplined (for the most part) and well coached, didn't have the horses to force decisions and disrupt timing as they did in ears past...
    Exactly Slapstick! Our defense is predicated on pressuring the QB but let me add we have always pressured without sending the house. We pressure normally with 4 or 5 but the opponent doesn't know which 4 or 5. The last couple of years we haven't been able to do that consistently. LeBeau has tried to adjust by playing more press coverage instead of the zone. Sometimes it has been successful and sometimes it hasn't. He has also gone to more full-out blitzes but we still couldn't pressure the QB consistently when we did that.

Without that pressure our turnover margin has gone to hell. It doesn't help that many of our defensive backs couldn't catch a cold. It also doesn't help that our DBs, when matched up one on one, can't play the ball in the air. Instead they tend to interfere with the receiver.

So why can't we get the pressure we used to? I agree with those that say our talent level has gone downhill. Harrison has been hurt, Troy has been hurt, Woodley has been out of shape, Timmons has played many games out of position, and Ziggy isn't even a shadow of Aaron Smith. Nothing is going to be different this year if Jones and Worilds don't come through, Troy doesn't stay healthy, McLendon and Heyward don't push the middle and Woodley doesn't stay in fighting shape. We will still be a formidable defense but we won't be a dynamic defense and help our offense.

If all those things come true then look out. This defense could be magical just like the 2008 defense.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Jooser. And that is the philosophy I'm talking about. Tighten up coverage..more bump using our physical corners...disrupting timing.
    Fact is that Ike plays tighter coverage and is more physical than any corner we have had since Woodson.
    Ike gave up 6 receptions in the last 7 games he played in.
    How is that remotely possible when he is routinely on the opponents best receiver if he is not in tight coverage?
    He SURE aint scaring QBs because of the threat of picking them off!!!

the answer:
    “His physicality sets him apart from a lot of corners in this league,” receiver Antonio Brown said.

Ike gets toasted WHEN HE CREEPS UP versus the run when he respects the run game more than the passing game (examples Tebow and last year versus Houston).

Ike shuts down the opponents best receiver week in and out.

TCFCLTC-