Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We need to switch to passing attack

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We need to switch to passing attack

We cannot run...we need to go 5 wide until we can prove to other
    teams that we will just sit back and throw.
    And then when we gain respect in the pass we will then be able to run more....

Let them stack the line.......

And for god sake when you need yards throw down the field not tot he dam line.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    We cannot run...we need to go 5 wide until we can prove to other
    teams that we will just sit back and throw.
    And then when we gain respect in the pass we will then be able to run more....

Let them stack the line.......

And for god sake when you need yards throw down the field not tot he dam line.....
    I don't completely disagree. Put the ball in Ben's control. At the same time, if we can't give Ben more than 2 seconds before all hell is coming at him, he won't last the season. It all starts and ends with the line. If they can't find their way, we're done.

Banned

User Info Menu

No, it's three wide, it's moving the pocket. It's getting garbage like David Johnson and the rest of the backup TEs off the field.

Base offense: 3 wides, TE, 1 RB.

We provide no space for Ben, for the RBs, and the OL's. Too many bodies in tight to the LOS.

Legend

User Info Menu

What ratio of passes to runs would be good? If you're ineffective rushing the football, how will you be effective passing the football? Ben is a good quarterback, but if a team has to only defend 1 aspect of an offense they can do that. Ben would be blitzed and harassed for an entire game if the ratio pf passes to runs is too lopsided.

The offensive line need to get their collective crap together and start hitting somebody other than their own guys.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A big part of the problem too, is that Ben has not developed as a passer in many ways. Check Andrew Luck and Indy, as an example. Indy has an equally bad O-line, yet they seem to (I don't watch them much) have a much better offense. Why?

Part of the reason is Luck's youthful exuberance, a la Ben in 2004--like a wild stallion. But over time, you hope that Ben develops more of a feel for passing (e.g. anticipation). Instead, after almost 10 years in the league, he still relies on his pump-faking defenses, his ability to shrug a guy off, and throwing to wide-open receivers in a scramble scenario.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    A big part of the problem too, is that Ben has not developed as a passer in many ways. Check Andrew Luck and Indy, as an example. Indy has an equally bad O-line, yet they seem to (I don't watch them much) have a much better offense. Why?

Part of the reason is Luck's youthful exuberance, a la Ben in 2004--like a wild stallion. But over time, you hope that Ben develops more of a feel for passing (e.g. anticipation). Instead, after almost 10 years in the league, he still relies on his pump-faking defenses, his ability to shrug a guy off, and throwing to wide-open receivers in a scramble scenario.
    Sorry, but this is just wrong. Just because Ben isn't Brady or Manning doesn't mean he's a bad passer, it just means he's a different kind of QB.

Whether we want to admit it or not, Mike Wallace's absence is felt. When he was stretching the field in 2010 and 2011, that forced defenses to back off and opened up the other WRs. Right now, the only receiver the Steelers have that could do that is Markus Wheaton, but they won't play him often because he's a rookie. Brown and Sanders aren't getting the job done in that regard. Not only will a legit deep threat open up the passing game, it will also open up the running game.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

I've been saying this for years but anytime you question Ben's play, the homers start calling you a "hater" because your being critical on poor Big Ben. What you said is the truth. Ben can throw a sweet ball and I don't dispute that but he doesn't read defenses particularly well and he doesn't "see the entire field" very well in a acceptable time span. I don't care if you have the best o-line in the league, I'm willing to bet they will be average at best with Ben as the QB. It's the way he plays and it's the way he will ALWAYS play.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What ratio of passes to runs would be good? If you're ineffective rushing the football, how will you be effective passing the football? Ben is a good quarterback, but if a team has to only defend 1 aspect of an offense they can do that. Ben would be blitzed and harassed for an entire game if the ratio pf passes to runs is too lopsided.

The offensive line need to get their collective crap together and start hitting somebody other than their own guys.

Pappy
    I don't see the need to aim for a ratio. I recall games by the Cheaters where they would throw 10+ times in a row until the defense adjusted to it. Do what works until the other team adjusts. The problem we have right now is that nothing is working and it all points to an inept offensive line. That's where all the attention needs to be.

Fix the line and spread teams out so that they can't crowd the LOS to stop the run at all costs.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I've been saying this for years but anytime you question Ben's play, the homers start calling you a "hater" because your being critical on poor Big Ben. What you said is the truth. Ben can throw a sweet ball and I don't dispute that but he doesn't read defenses particularly well and he doesn't "see the entire field" very well in a acceptable time span. I don't care if you have the best o-line in the league, I'm willing to bet they will be average at best with Ben as the QB. It's the way he plays and it's the way he will ALWAYS play.
    I don't think "The Flash" could see the entire field in the unacceptable time span our line is giving Ben. But, I agree that at this stage in his career Ben is who we thought he was and he isn't changing. So, knowing that, why change the entire offensive scheme to one that does not highlight his strengths. It makes no sense to "extend his career" if we aren't winning. Scheme to his strengths, get some Lombardis while you can and move on when his career is over, however short that may be (and with this new scheme, it may be shorter than if we had stayed with what we were doing before).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    Sorry, but this is just wrong. Just because Ben isn't Brady or Manning doesn't mean he's a bad passer, it just means he's a different kind of QB.

Whether we want to admit it or not, Mike Wallace's absence is felt. When he was stretching the field in 2010 and 2011, that forced defenses to back off and opened up the other WRs. Right now, the only receiver the Steelers have that could do that is Markus Wheaton, but they won't play him often because he's a rookie. Brown and Sanders aren't getting the job done in that regard. Not only will a legit deep threat open up the passing game, it will also open up the running game.
    You're just proving Shoe's original point. Ben throws to wide open WRs. He is not known for timing passes. A QB that pump fakes as much as BR is not about timing, but about getting a wide open target.